Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 700 SPS TAC

My 700 SPS TAC

I always wanted a Remington 700P but it never seemed to make it to the top of my must-purchase list. A few years ago I finally purchased a 700 SPS TAC with the intention of using it as the base of not-too-expensive bolt gun build.

The Shitty Plastic Stock (that's what "SPS" stands for, BTW) was replaced with a B&C and the trigger was replaced with a Timney 510 before a single shot was fired. I mounted a SWFA SS HD 10 X 42 scope in Seekins low rings on a Leupold 15 MOA steel base (bedded to the receiver) and with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 ammo, shot these groups on my first few outings with it last year at 100 yards;

Happy with the performance, I spent some time tinkering with the rifle, including installing a Tac-Pro cheek riser, painting the stock, installing zero-stops in the scope, replacing the flimsy cast bottom metal with a steel unit and bedding it to the stock, readjusting the trigger pull to 2.1 pounds and properly adjusting the scope eyepiece to render the reticle razor sharp. Here is what it looks like now;

I got back to the range with it yesterday. At that point, I had a total of about 50 rounds through the rifle, all shot at 100 yards. The rifle had been a consistent .6 MOA or better performer at 100 so I set up at 200 yards yesterday, and fired a total of nine shots;

The first shot was taken at a 6" plate to foul the barrel, and hit that easily.

I then took three shots, which went into 1.06" (.509 MOA), but I realized I had dialed in correction for 300 yards instead of 200. The windage was dead-nuts on.

I dialed down two clicks (which wasn't enough, of course) and placed five rounds into 1.230" (.591 MOA), four of which went into .825" (.396 MOA). The second shot of the string was the flyer, which I called as soon as the trigger broke.

After all the tinkering and having the action out of the stock countless times, the rifle continues to shoot very consistently and my confidence in it has grown. For a total investment of under $2k (everything purchased new), I am very pleased with how this project has turned out. I am especially pleased with the SWFA scope, both optically and with its robust construction. I was easily able to see my hits on paper at 200 yards.

Now I just need to get back into reloading and develop some loads for it as I believe there's more accuracy left to wring out of it.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 09-20-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Nice looking stick.

The SPS is good value for money.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Nice! I loves me some precision rifles.

Couple shootin' buddies and I had a competition once. We tried to find out who could make the most accurate 700 using only factory parts (good natured competition, as obviously you can't predict quality and assure a truly even starting point). Each rifle agg'ed in the 3's consistently.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I'm getting my list together to begin hand loading again. In the mean time, I'm going to set up @ 300 yards on the next outing and see how it does.

When I played those games, I had trouble making handloads that would out perform GMM to a significant degree. YMMV, and even though mine never did, the hours I spent trying were still much better spent than if I had been watching teevee.

That's a nice rifle. You are getting some nice performance for not a whole lot of dough, as these things go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    When I played those games, I had trouble making handloads that would out perform GMM to a significant degree.
    Funny you should mention this: with the 1:12 twist I may simply replicate the GMM load with around 42 grains of IMR 4064 and the 168 SMK. I plan on using bump dies with minimal case sizing so perhaps I may gain something there. My 300 yard results will help me decide whether to replicate the GMM load or develop a load with a different bullet, such as the A-MAX or Nosler Accubond.

I have only shot .308 in a M-14 platform. What is the recoil like on a bolt action? How many shots is the most per session?

My first precision rifle was very similar. I went the LTR in an AICS route. Same scope and high end rings. But be VERY careful! Its a deep rabbit hole that is very easy to fall down into! Next thing you know you need a magnum, and a semi precision rifle. All of a sudden you get S&B boxes and Hensoldt boxes etc etc all over the place and a ginormous hole in your wallet!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Site Supporter
    How far are you able to shoot in your area ?
    The 175gr seems to perform pretty well in all my 308 both SMK and OTM, had a bit of a play around with 208s as well.

Whats GMM cost per box over there ? It over $50 a box here
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    When I played those games, I had trouble making handloads that would out perform GMM to a significant degree. YMMV, and even though mine never did, the hours I spent trying were still much better spent than if I had been watching teevee.

That's a nice rifle. You are getting some nice performance for not a whole lot of dough, as these things go.
    Really? FGM was always good in that is shot acceptably in a lot of guns, but I never thought it was all that hot. Those Sierra bullets just weren't up to the level that good precision bullets need to be. Bergers are a step in the right direction. I always had the best results with Fowler Bullets in 30cal.

From my experience, FGM is a good solid (in no wind, out of a rocking awesome gun) good for 5s. Not much better. Of course, that's shooting real groups not 3 shot "groups" and cherry picking them for forum posts.

User Tag List