Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: H&K MR762

Very nice! I had considered getting one with my armorer's discount but decided not to. I did handle one at a nearby shop and like it quite a bit.

In my humble opinion, it's an awesome DMR. At least this is, what it's designed to be. Throws more than 2300 ft lbf (> 3100 J) of energy with sub MOA precision, self-loading. What my MR308 could do with me, an average shooter, behind it and a 2,5-8x36 Leupold scope on top of it:

These are two 5-shot groups. Distance: 110 yards (100 m). Accuracy: 0.7 MOA and 1.0 MOA (little high because it's zeroed at ~200 yards). I like this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm also looking at getting the barrel fluted or profiled as well.
    Don't know, if reprofiling is a good idea. I suppose, it would decrease accuracy. Fluting could be good, but I don't know.

Kind regards from Germany
    Last edited by P30; 09-20-2014 at 09:59 AM.

An additional note to the weight:

I think, the higher weight (compared to a light assault rifle) is the price which the HK engineers had to pay in order to make it a designated marksman rifle. It's not meant to be an assault rifle. A DMR fills the gap between an assault rifle and a sniper rifle: The weight, accuracy, projectile energy and rate of fire of a DMR lies between these two kinds of rifles.
    Last edited by P30; 09-20-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Is hate to strong of a word!?

On the fluting or dimpling, I looked into this when I had an MWS. For those that went forward with it, they reported the reclamation of weight was not as much as they had hoped it would be. It didn't seem a worthy pursuit. I fully agree with getting more womp and less deflection with the 308, but I also like having a greater envelope of down range energy. So you might consider looking at something like a S&B Short dot 1-4. Or one of the new 1-6's that have a daylight usable red dot. With the short dot I can run it 98% of the speed an accuracy I can an aimpoint, but when distance comes into the equation, the speed and accuracy (and target ID )far exceeds what I can do with an aimpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    An additional note to the weight:

I think, the higher weight (compared to a light assault rifle) is the price which the HK engineers had to pay in order to make it a designated marksman rifle. It's not meant to be an assault rifle. A DMR fills the gap between an assault rifle and a sniper rifle: The weight, accuracy, projectile energy and rate of fire of a DMR lies between these two kinds of rifles.

I do not think weight enters into the equation to "make it" a DMR rifle. Each manufacturer has weight issues more likely as a design element of their system. For the HK, the piston system adds the weight. For the MWS, the barrel change system adds the weight. My KAC EMC is in the low 8lb range with nothing bolted on to it but certainly has the accuracy to be a DMR. The lower the starting point the better the ending point after you bolt on everything to make it a DMR. Optics, designators, bipods, PRS stocks etc etc are what are going to bring the real weight.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    I do not think weight enters into the equation to "make it" a DMR rifle.
    Not directly but indirectly. A DMR must be very accurate. A thicker barrel helps to make it accurate. Here in Germany, I heard the saying: "Kurz und dick ist des Schützen Glück." In German, this rhymes and means: A short and thick barrel is more accurate (because it does not oscillate as much as a long and thin barrel). But a thick barrel is heavier. So weight enters the equation.

And a thicker barrel heats up less. I think, this helps to preserve high accuracy, when you shoot many rounds in a short time.
    Last edited by P30; 09-20-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Jody, in your post 5 you mentioned something about possibly sending the barrel for a re-profile.

Hunter Rose over at the HKPro.com forum http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk4...-complete.html recently posted: HK MR556 no longer a chunky monkey! (barrel reprofile complete)

And a thicker barrel heats up less. I think, this helps to preserve high accuracy, when you shoot many rounds in a short time.
    I believe the thicker barrels heats up slower but dissipates the heat slower as well. Everything is a tradeoff.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    A short and thick barrel is more accurate (because it does not oscillate as much as a long and thin barrel). But a thick barrel is heavier.
    This has an interesting tie-in to what the Benchrest guys were doing in "the Houston warehouse." It's not necessarily about short or long, they were searching for the barrel length that was just right. The goal was to pick a barrel that vibrated the most consistently when fired.

User Tag List