Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Derp Test

I didn't trademark "Derp Test," so any variation in name and methodology is fine. A side step, 4 push-ups during the reload, or even some ECQC maneuver is all kosher.

As stated previously, the point is to force bullseye level accuracy on the timer, interspersed before and after a reload, while confirming POA/POI and how your pistol/ammo combination does. My only concern about the scaled targets, shot considerably closer, is it doesn't test POA/POI and accuracy like 25 yards, and allows you to get away with some target focus that won't fly for most at 25 yards.

I guess the B8 would work, but that is so old school, where the "Derp Test" is a happening 2014 kind of test. If you haven't been using USPSA cardboard targets, I would suggest you try some along with matching pastors. These targets last a LONG time, while continuing to look great. My PF paper targets quickly look like crap, when I don't replace them, as should be obvious from some pictures of groups I posted lately. Our standard target array is 2-4 MGM 8 inch steel challenge type targets, and two paper targets stands, where we run one USPSA cardboard and one PF paper target on a PF sized cardboard backer.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I am prepared for my results to blow goats, but I'm hoping that all the time I've spent on steel at ~25 yards these past few months will at least pay some dividends.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I agree with GJM - very challenging, fun, and addictive. Good test. I really like the accuracy challenge of 25 yards, and especially trying to shoot the upper A at speed at that distance.

On Saturday morning, I derped cold:

22pts/5.43 seconds = 4.05 HF

Then tried a few more:

20pts/5.23 seconds = 3.82 HF

26pts/5.83 seconds = 4.45 HF

24pts/5.52 seconds = 4.34 HF

Weird pattern with those – mediocre body shots, great head shots. Had a lot of the head shots in the upper A, at speed, shooting with the sights in a bit of motion. Very smooth and I was really happy with those. On the other hand, I kept tossing the body shots out of the A zone and that's where most of the points loss came from. Derp indeed!

On Sunday morning, I derped again (warmed up this time):

24pts/5.17 seconds = 4.64 HF
    26pts/5.03 seconds = 5.16 HF

I didn't shoot any extra shots on any of them, since I felt confident I was putting them all on paper and I have a hard time acting on implications of hit factor scoring. I want to try it again, with extra shots where they might help, and see how the scoring comes out.

I think on Wednesday I'll have the training group shoot the Derp Test and see if any of them want to post.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

A Derp-worthy performance!

Would you consider a different method of scoring where say since there is a min of 2 body + 1 head = 3 hits shot twice with the reload; say must score 30 to pass (with at least 2 in the headbox) else you fail, then simply the fastest to 30 points with 2 min in the head be that 6 shots or 8 etc.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I derped a little and you can watch. Now you derp.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

As soon as I got to the range, I decided to Derp with the Glock 42. Didn't have a holster, so just started with it in my hand. Didn't time, but shot at "10 second pace."Got all my hits, including an A and B on the head box. The Glock 42 has to be the most shootable pocket handgun there is.

My wife Derp'd with her Glock 34:

9.14/30 points HF 3.28

8.30/28 points 3.37

7.70/24 points 3.12

Holy smokes this was tough! I haven't calc'd my scores yet but I never cleaned it for points. I never shot it under 11 sec. I never got two head hits. Dayim. The Derp could become an obsession. I must use better than WWB 100 rd value pack next week.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

23 pts, 1 mike/11.75 sec = hit factor 1.11? lol

I shot this a handful of times during a couple live fire outings last week.

5 runs with my issued Springfield Pro with 195pf winchester white box ammo:
    Best run: 1A/1B head shots, 2A/2C's body in 5.03 = 5.36hf
    Avg run with the Springfield was around 5.2-5.5 sec. Had two out of 5 runs with miss on a head shot (either low into the body or complete miss).

The next day I shot a couple runs on my Glocks. G35 with 175PF factory .40 and G17 with 145PF factory 9mm:
    G35 run 1- 2B head shots, 3A/1C body in 5.34 = 5.05hf
    G35 run 2 - 1A/1B head shot, 1A/3C body in 5.17 = 5.03hf

G17 run 1 - cleanest run out of all - 2A head shots, 3A/1C body shot in 6.52 = 4.29hf. Slowing down (and shooting minor) didn't help me w/ regards to hf.
    G17 run 2- crash and burn, 1B/1M head shot, 2A/2C body shot. Somewhere in the ~5-6 second range, didn't write it down bc of miss.

User Tag List