Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Temple Index

Mike and i have been talking,
    he is re doing another video. he still doesn't care for it, i respect that i call mike a friend.

we had that conversation i respect his background and his operational experience we came to some middle ground i think lol.....
    we are after the same thing just different ways of doing it we are big enough adults to discuss it and agree to disagree its the world we live in
    this comes back to my talks about MIL/LEO/Citizens needs again i respect the hell out of mike and have shared tables and ranges with him.... i have no issue with the disagreement

I find some of this takes some time to mentally work out, and time to play with under the right conditions, and being taught by the right person so that context is clear.

When I went to DARC for Uncle Rich's LECTC course he taught high muzzle with the carbine right from the get-go in the crawl phase when we were hitting individual/two man skills. I know my eye brow went up because my "WTFF?" meter pegged a couple of blips before settling down.

In that context, in that environment, it soon made absolutely perfect sense. Rich was kind of a master at that lesson, as well as others throughout the week, in that he didn't try to sell it, he demo'd it, had us try a few reps, then moved on. But it quickly became apparent that he didn't need to sell that TTP, as the line in 'Heat' went "this shit sells itself".

Had an on-line conversation with Mike Pannone. We've talked at length before about a number of subjects, IMHO he's a good dude.

He asked me to clarify that he pulled the video on his own as he wasn't happy with the ability via a short video to get his point across. TTPs can often be simple in appearance, but complex in what context they are applied.

He advised is he is working on a video that he thinks will get the point across more effectively than that first attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Had an on-line conversation with Mike Pannone. We've talked at length before about a number of subjects, IMHO he's a good dude.

He asked me to clarify that he pulled the video on his own as he wasn't happy with the ability via a short video to get his point across. TTPs can often be simple in appearance, but complex in what context they are applied.

He advised is he is working on a video that he thinks will get the point across more effectively than that first attempt.

yes me and mike had that talk he is a good dude

I think one needs to have multiple options for carry/indexing. I prefer an arrested/compressed high ready with the pistol - and honestly like to holster before I run if I can.

Depending what you are doing you may need to alter your stance and positioning -- I saw way to many folks at the LVMPD SWAT class last week muzzle folks as they did not want to alter their position. The fact is depending on your equipment, those of other with you, and the layout of the situation your in, you may need to use high or low, or directly present the weapon.

I do not buy into the I'm on the ground floor, I will do low ready though - high ready came out for a reason, and in many positions it is superior to low ready.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I do not buy into the I'm on the ground floor, I will do low ready though - high ready came out for a reason, and in many positions it is superior to low ready.
    Agreed. I live in a 3-story town house. When I'm on the middle floor, where am I supposed to point my gun? Another dimension?

I liken ready positions to guns. On the one hand, most folks would agree that no single gun can accomplish everything. On the other, most folks on this forum seem to understand that you don't want to deal with a summer gun, a winter gun, a Tuesday gun, a Friday gun, a going-to-the-movies gun, a going-to-the-supermarket gun, etc. Just because you cannot reduce everything to a single gun 24/365 doesn't mean you can't try to minimize the number of things you need to be familiar with, practice with, and excel at.

There is no one perfect ready position for every possible situation and location. But some have more functionality than others. People seem to forget, but a lot of ready position decisions years ago were dictated not by what might work best but by the fact that mil/SWAT teams were practicing in live fire shoot houses with real live human beings on catwalks above them. Seeing guys run through a house using high ready when you're on that catwalk is uncomfortable. BTDT. I do find it funny when people who make their living bragging about being from Unit XYZ insist on teaching low ready for years and years after Unit XYZ has changed to a high compressed ready.

To continue on what Kevin said, high compressed ready came along for a reason. Does it have disadvantages? Sure. So does every other ready position. Knowing when to change to something else is important, but it works pretty well as a most-of-the-time option.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    When I'm on the middle floor, where am I supposed to point my gun? Another dimension?
    Do you even tesseract, bro?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List