Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    Maybe I need to sharpen my pencil about serrations! I am kind of waying pro's and con's of the button on the Dirac being in the center of body vs on the side of the UTX 85.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that, and I think I like the button on the side. And the UTX has a 0.125" thick blade compared to the 0.090" Dirac.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

@Clusterfrack, give the locals a nod and also look at a mini infidel (or infidel) while you’re at it.

https://www.benchmade.com/mini-infidel-family.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    @Clusterfrack, give the locals a nod and also look at a mini infidel (or infidel) while you’re at it.

https://www.benchmade.com/mini-infidel-family.html
    I did consider Benchmade autos, but the grip size was a little big, and they’re asking a lot for what you get. They don't offer a double edged blade with serrations on one side. Reviews were mixed as well.

Of the BM OTF line, the Autocrat looks the best to me. I like the G10 grip.
    Name:  3400bk-1_02.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  11.3 KB
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-28-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm reluctant to pocket carry anything that can potentially launch a blade OTF into my person.
    Neither my Microtechs or my Hogue OTF will fire through the pocket material of my Duluth pants or shorts and the slide buttons take a solid deliberate push to launch.
    I don't see any of them being more prone to opening inside a pocket than any waved folder or pretty much any other "tactical" folding knife, especially when carried tip up.
    If a OTF launches in a pocket it's likely to only partially deploy with basically a free floating blade that would have a hard time pushing through pocket material and then skin.
    A tip up folder that even partially opens in a pocket is a recipe for hand surgery (had it happen to me with a well used Griptilian, luckily I only needed a couple butterfly stitches).
    The accidental OTF launch would also be much more likely to be noticed than the folder opening.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Neither my Microtechs or my Hogue OTF will fire through the pocket material of my Duluth pants or shorts and the slide buttons take a solid deliberate push to launch.
    I don't see any of them being more prone to opening inside a pocket than any waved folder or pretty much any other "tactical" folding knife, especially when carried tip up.
    If a OTF launches in a pocket it's likely to only partially deploy with basically a free floating blade that would have a hard time pushing through pocket material and then skin.
    A tip up folder that even partially opens in a pocket is a recipe for hand surgery (had it happen to me with a well used Griptilian, luckily I only needed a couple butterfly stitches).
    The accidental OTF launch would also be much more likely to be noticed than the folder opening.
    Having never owned an OTF, it's good to know that the mechanism is relatively safe.

Yeah, I've been bitten by knives that had a tip peeking out of the well...fortunately never more than just a small cut and minor bleeding.

That said, autos of any stripe don't really trip my trigger by and large.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That said, autos of any stripe don't really trip my trigger by and large.
    They're fun to play with while sitting on the couch watching TV, but real world utility for me isn't any better than a decent tac knife with thumbstud. Lately, with me not going out much, I'm mostly slipping my Canal Street Cannitler into my pocket anyway.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    They're fun to play with while sitting on the couch watching TV, but real world utility for me isn't any better than a decent tac knife with thumbstud. Lately, with me not going out much, I'm mostly slipping my Canal Street Cannitler into my pocket anyway.

Chris
    I don't even do that. Try to keep the spring from wearing out needlessly. But I'm not a knife fidgeter. I used to play with my balisong before I sold it to someone who wanted it more than I did.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I have an Emerson CQC7 but find it a bit large to always pocket carry... enter the CQC7 Mini- a little smaller make a big difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

@Det1397 - CQC7, great knives.

Pocket knives

Microtech UTX-85 just arrived. I like it a lot. It’s very compact, and smaller than I expected. But perfect. I can’t imagine getting a 75, it would be way too small, and my hands aren’t huge.

Build quality, action, and lockup are superb. I like the blade design quite a bit as well. I could see making this knife an EDC.

I’m annoyed that I had to pay $30 for an aftermarket tool to switch the pocket clip for left side carry.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-01-2020 at 01:23 PM.

User Tag List