Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Yes, this one has very minute element of blade play along both axes, but were talking fractions of arc. I've also yet to encounter an OTF which locks up as tightly as a side opener. A side opener basically becomes a standard lock blade. The movement is not something I've noticed while actually using it, but it could possibly trigger one's blade OCD.
    Thanks. I'm OCD enough that it would drive me crazy. I'm glad I learned this without dumping real money into a quality knife. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm reluctant to pocket carry anything that can potentially launch a blade OTF into my person. I might carry something like an OTF in a belt sheath.

The only switchblades I own spend their lives in the dark and uncarried. An old UDT and LUDT.
    I regret not buying a UDT back when they were relatively inexpensive. I remember seeing them for less than $150 at some online retailers.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I regret not buying a UDT back when they were relatively inexpensive. I remember seeing them for less than $150 at some online retailers.

Chris
    Send me a PM, if you like, and make me an offer if it's something you want. I don't carry it and it's just sitting around. It's new / unused. And for clarity's sake, this is made by "Vero Beach", the forerunner of Microtech. No worries either way. I've had it this long.

(I've only owned a handful of Microtechs over the years, and sold most off. I still have the LUDT, 1998 version, and a prototype manual "Kestrel". I named the Kestrel for Marfione during a visit with him in the late 90's.)

Name:  microtech2.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  57.8 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm reluctant to pocket carry anything that can potentially launch a blade OTF into my person. I might carry something like an OTF in a belt sheath.

The only switchblades I own spend their lives in the dark and uncarried. An old UDT and LUDT.
    I think the OTF is safer than it seems. The launch spring isn't that powerful--not enough to do much more than prick you. In a pocket, I would want to make sure that the closed knife was long enough that if the blade came free, it wouldn't protrude by a lot. I've had a folder come open in a back pocket, and that's a scary situation (fortunately no injury).

I have no interest in side-openers or assisted openers. A good thumbstud or a Wave works well, without added complexity.

For me, the attraction of the OTF is a symmetric grip and a double edge.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Send me a PM, if you like, and make me an offer if it's something you want. I don't carry it and it's just sitting around. It's new / unused. And for clarity's sake, this is made by "Vero Beach", the forerunner of Microtech. No worries either way. I've had it this long.
    I appreciate it, but will pass. With the direction VA's politics are headed (more accurately...have headed) and with automatics still being contraband for most of us, this would just be a stay-at-home toy for me these days.

Just a couple years ago it looked like VA might remove the restrictions on automatics.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think the OTF is safer than it seems. The launch spring isn't that powerful--not enough to do much more than prick you. In a pocket, I would want to make sure that the closed knife was long enough that if the blade came free, it wouldn't protrude by a lot. I've had a folder come open in a back pocket, and that's a scary situation (fortunately no injury).

I have no interest in side-openers or assisted openers. A good thumbstud or a Wave works well, without added complexity.

For me, the attraction of the OTF is a symmetric grip and a double edge.
    The spring in the slide is a good kind of strong, and though it will probably become a little 'easier' with time, it's not going to easily slide forward. It would take a divine intervention to launch the blade. Or Murphy on a damaged Mechanism I suppose. It also must travel a just about full half inch before it launches the blade.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I have played with some $300 plus OTFs and they all have blade wiggle. Actually really doesn't bother me but to sum it does.

The reason OTFs cost so much is your prepaying for the warranty. They are fussy they do wear out and they are very debris sensitive.

If it were legal for me I would own one just cause they're so f****** cool.

Dammit. I spent at least an hour researching OTFs, reading reviews, and comparing models. The UTX-85 double-edge, half serrated is what is looking good to me:

Name:  Microtech-UTX-85-DE-OTF-Auto-Black-SW-Full-Serr-232-12-BHQ-100772-jr-thumb.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  10.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Same idea as you, or the Dirac. Except no serrations for me ,i don't think

Dammit. I spent at least an hour researching OTFs, reading reviews, and comparing models. The UTX-85 double-edge, half serrated is what is looking good to me:

Name:  Microtech-UTX-85-DE-OTF-Auto-Black-SW-Full-Serr-232-12-BHQ-100772-jr-thumb.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  10.5 KB

Some things cut so much better with serrated blades... it would be nice to have both.

Maybe I need to sharpen my pencil about serrations! I am kind of waying pro's and con's of the button on the Dirac being in the center of body vs on the side of the UTX 85.

Some things cut so much better with serrated blades... it would be nice to have both.

User Tag List