Page 46 of 55 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Direware Knives Tailwhip Bowie flipper and a Dervish Knives Navajo are what I've been using lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    ...Dervish Knives Navajo are what I've been using lately.
    See, this is why we get along. I've known John for about 15-16 years and love the dude. Back when he, Ram Maramba, Winch, and Larry Davidson were the "Chili Brothers". Ram is the dude who taught me to make knives alongside Larry Davidson.

I miss that dude something fierce, I was just thinking about him yesterday, wife and I were watching Forged in Fire and the challenge was making friction folders. Ram had a particularly good quote in an exchange with John about friction folders, they were discussing a collaboration and John suggested they do friction folders, Ram said, "Friction folders?! Friction folders?! What are we candlemakers? No. We're god damned knifemakers, that's what we are."

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    My first "real" knife was a Buck 110, given to me by my father...it's probably the last one I'd carry now, but it's also the last one I'd part with. My first "modern" knife was a Spyderco Delica--I think what is referred to as a Gen 3. The combination of the clip, opener hole, lightweight FRN handle, and serrated blade was a true game changer. Unfortunately I snapped the tip off (a weakness of that generation) prying open a munition container on deployment...it finished the tour with me, though, and it's in the drawer with the Buck for keeps. Memories!
    Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    My first "real" knife was also a Buck 110 passed down to me from my great grandfather. I never carry it either but it will follow me into the grave. Seems like there's a lot of sentimental Bucks out there.
    I've probably mentioned this elsewhere in this thread, but that kind of nostalgia really makes me want one of these
    Attachment 51400

and one of these to carry it in.
    Name:  0110-06-BR4.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  40.6 KB

I have a Buck 110 I purchased many years ago with green "Frenchwood" (laminated) covers and a BG-42 blade from the "Master Series" knives. Great knife if you can keep your pants up.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    See, this is why we get along. I've known John for about 15-16 years and love the dude. Back when he, Ram Maramba, Winch, and Larry Davidson were the "Chili Brothers". Ram is the dude who taught me to make knives alongside Larry Davidson.

I miss that dude something fierce, I was just thinking about him yesterday, wife and I were watching Forged in Fire and the challenge was making friction folders. Ram had a particularly good quote in an exchange with John about friction folders, they were discussing a collaboration and John suggested they do friction folders, Ram said, "Friction folders?! Friction folders?! What are we candlemakers? No. We're god damned knifemakers, that's what we are."
    You wanna call John G up and tell him to hurry up with the back log? Been waiting 8 years for my name to come up, haven't heard from John since 2016.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    You wanna call John G up and tell him to hurry up with the back log? Been waiting 8 years for my name to come up, haven't heard from John since 2016.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I'm not on his list, so I have no idea where he is in terms of backlog or filling orders. But have you tried reaching out to him on Instagram?

Last time I needed something from him (just a quick Q about a year or so ago), I hit him up on IG and got a response back in a day.

I'm a little bummed to hear you haven't heard from him; a tragedy of the commons is that many talented makers are pretty mediocre businessmen. I could probably make a nice living off being a business manager for small-scale manufacturers. The kind of thing where you basically work with someone to determine their ideal production level and help them establish and manage their brand and production to keep things efficient and smooth. They focus on things like - making knives - and I focus on things like - making sure they don't overspend on equipment or materials and keep their queue to a reasonable size and manage it for them.

I mean, that's more or less my job as a research mentor. I work with the someone to help them establish and develop their production skills, maintain workflow, and be efficient. I have to keep them from overspending on equipment, materials, and labor, while making sure that the 'customers' (myself and collaborators) are getting things worked on at a reasonable pace.

Maybe I just made up my alternative career path...

Old combined with new

Name:  03AD9165-7CB0-4B4D-A2D4-3B447C77DB86.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  46.2 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    My daily carry for probably 15 years has been the Benchmade Mini AFCK 812 gifted to me from my wife.

G10 scales, liner lock, thumb hole, and ATS-34 steel.

Is been carried in the woods, on duty, and in the office. I have others, but its my favorite.

The only thing I'd change would be an Axis lock in place of the liner lock.

Name:  20200406_161901.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  22.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm not on his list, so I have no idea where he is in terms of backlog or filling orders. But have you tried reaching out to him on Instagram?

Last time I needed something from him (just a quick Q about a year or so ago), I hit him up on IG and got a response back in a day.

I'm a little bummed to hear you haven't heard from him; a tragedy of the commons is that many talented makers are pretty mediocre businessmen. I could probably make a nice living off being a business manager for small-scale manufacturers. The kind of thing where you basically work with someone to determine their ideal production level and help them establish and manage their brand and production to keep things efficient and smooth. They focus on things like - making knives - and I focus on things like - making sure they don't overspend on equipment or materials and keep their queue to a reasonable size and manage it for them.

I mean, that's more or less my job as a research mentor. I work with the someone to help them establish and develop their production skills, maintain workflow, and be efficient. I have to keep them from overspending on equipment, materials, and labor, while making sure that the 'customers' (myself and collaborators) are getting things worked on at a reasonable pace.

Maybe I just made up my alternative career path...
    Good idea, I'll send him an IG message... TRYING to get a damn ALCHEMY made before I die...

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    My daily carry for probably 15 years has been the Benchmade Mini AFCK 812 gifted to me from my wife.

G10 scales, liner lock, thumb hole, and ATS-34 steel.

Is been carried in the woods, on duty, and in the office. I have others, but its my favorite.

The only thing I'd change would be an Axis lock in place of the liner lock.
    I have the large and small AFCK in M2. One of my all-time favorite production knives and carried a bunch both on and off the job.

Made even better because the co-designer was Chris Caracci, (former SEAL Team 6 member and Ft. Lauderdale P.D.), who was one of my first SWAT school instructors in the late 80's.

I have a bit of an issue with comfortably manipulating the smaller AFCK...but I still love it. (Probably from some thumb injuries over the years.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List