Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Pocket knives

@RevolverRob, I think the Kwaiken I linked is made in Germany.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-26-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A small Seb would be almost exactly ideal, except for the price (cheapest I've found with wood is $450 and without inlays is $375). Given that technically anything over 2.5" blade length could be considered 'illegal' in Chicago (really not clear if that is true, given state-level preemption). In most instances if you're "caught" with something over the blade limit, but still 3" and under, they merely confiscate the knife. I'd hate to see a $450 knife confiscated by the cops. That said, I don't do things that force me to have conversations and I really think this is a theoretical problem, not a real one. In other words, I'd probably be fine.
    They've gone up quite a bit since I bought mine 13 years ago. Back then, they were just under $300. I got mine for about $250 as part of a group buy. As for the size concern, the Mnandi is closer to your limit, but still not below 2.5".

While not one-handed or tactical in anyway, a number of slipjoints meet your other requirements (size, cost, premium steel, etc).

How about a Canal Street Cannitler? I've owned one for years. It is my dressy non-tactical knife and one of the ones I carry when traveling to the UK.
    Cannitler is a combination of the Canoe and Whittler patterns. The Whittler portion means the main blade is supported by the backsprings of the two small blades, holding it open more securely.

Hits:
    Sub 3" main blade
    D2 Steel
    non-threatening
    great looking scales
    Made in USA.

Misses:
    Not one-handed opening
    Non-locking

Chris

Site Supporter
    Another issue with $300-$400+ knives is whether you are really getting that much value. If the value you seek is performance, you are probably not getting much of an increase above $100-$150. If you want something else: elegance, craftsmanship, etc., then the value may be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Another issue with $300-$400+ knives is whether you are really getting that much value. If the value you seek is performance, you are probably not getting much of an increase above $100-$150. If you want something else: elegance, craftsmanship, etc., then the value may be there.

In the case of value as gauged by performance, there is very little to be gained over a waved Delica with a VG10 blade in terms of general performance and functionality in virtually all roles a folding knife may be (reasonably) used for. Waved Delicas are what 75-80 bucks? It's hard to get a knife that is much better than that as a general utilitarian tool that also works well for defensive purposes. The P'Kal is a better defensive tool, but gives up a bit in terms of general use tool (thinner tip and a blade shape that isn't as conducive to some cutting chores).

That said, craftsmanship definitely takes a solid uptick when we start to discuss the higher end things. Once you get on the north side of $400 bucks, you should be getting an extremely nice knife in terms of fit, finish, and materials. And in this bracket you're paying for the higher end materials and execution.

Look what came today. Boker Burnley Mini-Kwaiken in D2 tool steel. I’m very impressed with the build quality and overall design. Very pocketable and elegant. Oh yeah, it’s sharp too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Paging @blues and others with a knife fetish (which is honestly, usually, me) -

I was getting dressed this morning and while I wasn't going anywhere fancy or dressing up, it occurred to me, that I do not have a 'gentleman's' knife of any appreciable type in my collection. A hole which must be filled as soon as possible. I need suggestions using the following criteria in order of importance:

1) Blade of less than 3", with a trend towards 2.5" (legal requirements)
    2) One handed opening (a Wave would be bad-ass, but I can't find anything like this, a flipper would be okay)
    3) Good looking scales - wood is preferable
    4) Strongly prefer liner/frame/axis-type lock, will consider lock backs though
    5) Budget, let's throw a number on it...<$250
    6) I have a personal pref for ATS34/154CM/CPM154/RWL34 and D2 steels in general, but I can work with anything
    7) Origin - prefer if it comes from USA, Europe, or Japan
    Name:  Ritter:Cuscadi1.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  81.4 KB

There are custom scales available for Benchmade and Spyderco (wood, titanium, etc). These are bocote.

It looks like there are scales available for the Boker Kwaiken that Clusterfrack mentioned.

https://cuscadi.de/baker-kwaiken-duplex-bountyhunter/

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Name:  Ritter:Cuscadi1.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  81.4 KB

There are custom scales available for Benchmade and Spyderco (wood, titanium, etc). These are bocote.

It looks like there are scales available for the Boker Kwaiken that Clusterfrack mentioned.

https://cuscadi.de/baker-kwaiken-duplex-bountyhunter/

Site Supporter
    It looks like Luke has expanded quite a bit since I bought the mini-grip scales.

Here are wood scales for your Emerson.

https://cuscadi.de/emerson-cqc13-wild-cat/

I use the Al Mar Hawk Ultralight for a gents knife in dress pants when I feel the need for more than a Great Eastern #48 but less than a Sebenza. Under 3", lockback and doesn't weigh the pocket down. Doesn't seem to meet your requirements but is a classy little knife in it's own way.

Site Supporter
    After a second day with the deep carry clips, dependability of opening is getting better, but is still not as simple or dependable as with the standard clip placement. While I would use deep carry for some purposes, I am coming to the conclusion that the standard clip placement is better for most of my purposes.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List