Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Site Supporter
    The clips arrived today, and I put them on my knives. I like the clips. Unfortunately after a few different clip replacements, the threads in the screw holes are starting to get stripped. These MXGGear clips might be a good addition to a new knife so that hopefully the clips will not need replacement again, thus preserving the screw holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    After about a day carrying the knives with the deep carry clips, I am finding that deep carry makes the knife difficult to draw. I ordered a couple of new Waved Delicas since my screw holes are getting stripped, with the intention of putting the deep carry clips on those. I am going to keep practicing, but if i keep getting poor results, I may just order standard style MXGGear clips for the new knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Paging @blues and others with a knife fetish (which is honestly, usually, me) -

I was getting dressed this morning and while I wasn't going anywhere fancy or dressing up, it occurred to me, that I do not have a 'gentleman's' knife of any appreciable type in my collection. A hole which must be filled as soon as possible. I need suggestions using the following criteria in order of importance:

1) Blade of less than 3", with a trend towards 2.5" (legal requirements)
    2) One handed opening (a Wave would be bad-ass, but I can't find anything like this, a flipper would be okay)
    3) Good looking scales - wood is preferable
    4) Strongly prefer liner/frame/axis-type lock, will consider lock backs though
    5) Budget, let's throw a number on it...<$250
    6) I have a personal pref for ATS34/154CM/CPM154/RWL34 and D2 steels in general, but I can work with anything
    7) Origin - prefer if it comes from USA, Europe, or Japan

If nothing exists like this, I may purchase an Emerson 'Snubby' and have custom scales made for it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Paging @blues and others with a knife fetish (which is honestly, usually, me) -

I was getting dressed this morning and while I wasn't going anywhere fancy or dressing up, it occurred to me, that I do not have a 'gentleman's' knife of any appreciable type in my collection. A hole which must be filled as soon as possible. I need suggestions using the following criteria in order of importance:

1) Blade of less than 3", with a trend towards 2.5" (legal requirements)
    2) One handed opening (a Wave would be bad-ass, but I can't find anything like this, a flipper would be okay)
    3) Good looking scales - wood is preferable
    4) Strongly prefer liner/frame/axis-type lock, will consider lock backs though
    5) Budget, let's throw a number on it...<$250
    6) I have a personal pref for ATS34/154CM/CPM154/RWL34 and D2 steels in general, but I can work with anything
    7) Origin - prefer if it comes from USA, Europe, or Japan

If nothing exists like this, I may purchase an Emerson 'Snubby' and have custom scales made for it.
    One of the smaller Chris Reeve knives would be ideal IMO. The small Sebenza almost ticks all your boxes, but the blade is only barely below 3" and wood scales are not standard. Wood scales are available, but they always looked odd to me. They do have computer generated decorations that can be carved into the scales. Some of those are very nice looking. Price is another issue. With wood or graphics, you're probably going to go over your $250 limit. That said, after-purchase support has been excellent and the knives are little tanks. My small Sebenza is not only my "forever" knife, it was the one that made me forget customs.

Chris

I don't really own too many gussied up knives, and most of those are traditionals, (slipjoints).

You can't go wrong with the aforementioned Chris Reeve knives offerings. William Henry also has a rep for nice gentlemen's knives.

I haven't kept up much lately with the Benchmade line, they may have something in a small package that's dressed up nicely.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Last edited by Guerrero; 11-26-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Spyderco also has a Delica with wood handles and one with a damascus blade and stainless steel handles.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

For some reason, I’m into the Kwaiken right now. Check this German made one out:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-...Compact--80776
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The small Sebenza almost ticks all your boxes
    Chris
    A small Seb would be almost exactly ideal, except for the price (cheapest I've found with wood is $450 and without inlays is $375). Given that technically anything over 2.5" blade length could be considered 'illegal' in Chicago (really not clear if that is true, given state-level preemption). In most instances if you're "caught" with something over the blade limit, but still 3" and under, they merely confiscate the knife. I'd hate to see a $450 knife confiscated by the cops. That said, I don't do things that force me to have conversations and I really think this is a theoretical problem, not a real one. In other words, I'd probably be fine.

But convinced my wife to let me buy a Small Seb for 450 might be tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    For some reason, I’m into the Kwaiken right now. Check this German made one out:
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-...Compact--80776
    I dig the Kwaiken Compact too. It violates most of my parameters (no wood scales, non-preferred steel, Origin in Taiwan), but this BladeHQ Exclusive version with brass bolsters and green Micarta ticks the "fancy enough" box and would fit in with office attire and is not budget busting - https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-...clusive--77840

___

I admit that what I really have my eye on is getting The Clap in Olivewood. - https://www.bladehq.com/item--MKM-Te...k-Knife--87983 - Unfortunately, it's not possible to get The Clap yet, because MKM hasn't delivered them. So the question becomes, do I wait or do I grab something else? Or do I grab something else and get The Clap later? Alongside of a small Sebenza too. That seems reasonable, "Hi dear, I felt like I needed a new 'gentleman's' knife, but couldn't decide on which one, so I bought three (or four or twelve).

Name:  MKM-MK-LS01-O-jr.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  34.0 KB

User Tag List