Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Hi, I'm Spence and I have a knife problem. That said, I usually carry two, a pocket clip and a smaller pocket knife.
    My regulars for EDC are:
    Surefire Delta
    CR large Sebbie
    Spyderco Salt
    GEC 48, 72, 73
    Vic Alox Pioneer

Just another random stop after school today. I'll probably keep carrying the sak for the boys but I can't bring myself to give up on a bigger blade for myself...

Abuse? Absolutely. But the griptilian has handled it well so far.

My 3-year-old's first shavings. (Daddy helped...)

This was at a town park so no fire allowed, but the boys love to help and watch with prep so we made some anyway.

The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've got a pretty good collection of carry knives but have mostly been carrying a P'Kal or Kershaw Emerson CQC5.

How is it opening the Kershaw-Emerson? I saw the video showing how it opens as you're pulling from your pocket. But I'm a little skeptical. I just picked up a Boker Yurco and like it a lot but I'm used to carrying my Kershaw Blur and I love the Kershaw assisted opening. It feels a little weird carrying a fixed blade after years of carrying a folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    I would love to carry a small fixed blade daily. Unfortunately, WV knife laws are a gray area. You can open carry a fixed blade for hunting but you can't conceal one for self defense but maybe it doesn't count if it's less than 3.5" or if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit. However, WV issued me a Concealed Pistol License instead of a CWP soo I don't even bother. :sigh:
    Man, I would think if WV allows you to carry a firearm concealed, a knife wouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    How is it opening the Kershaw-Emerson? I saw the video showing how it opens as you're pulling from your pocket. But I'm a little skeptical.
    The wave feature is pretty dependable, IMO, if you take the time to practice it. I liked it enough that I had my ZT (which replaced my Emerson CQC-10 for most things) modded with one:

For some knives, you can add Ian Wendt's Surf's Up:

I know some people have found the Spyderco stick-thingies to be more reliable and less destructive of pockets. Or, if the knife has a big thumbhole, you can use a zip tie to emulate a wave, which works pretty well, too, IME with an Endura trainer.

I personally carry 5 blades on me: 2 on my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit S that are never used, a Benchmade 940-1, the aformentioned modded ZT 0561, and a Ban Tang Clinch Pick.

The Benchmade is used for every day tasks, and also serves as my kitchen knife (I've never owned a dedicated kitchen knife, have always used my folders). It is incredibly light, due to the carbon fiber scales, and also has great edge retention, due to the S90V (although I have noticed rust spots here and there if I fail to take care of it). The ZT is set up for left side reverse grip draw, and is split between heavy duty roles and self-defense. The CP is a dedicated self-defense blade, carried centerline.

The Emerson is carried only when I'm doing VFD stuff, as it is set up for a right side reverse edge:

Site Supporter
    I'm in the two knife camp. For work, it's a Spyderco Sage 2 and either a Leatherman Micra or Squirt. All other times it's a small fixed blade, either a Clinch Pick or an ESEE Candiru and one of the Leathermans. Having one of the small Leathermans allows me to use a small and unintimidating blade if circumstance dictates, as well as, having the other Leatherman tools. I started this after flicking open a larger Spyderco and handing it to our Materials Manager to open a box. It wasn't received well.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I'm in the two knife camp. For work, it's a Spyderco Sage 2 and either a Leatherman Micra or Squirt. All other times it's a small fixed blade, either a Clinch Pick or an ESEE Candiru and one of the Leathermans. Having one of the small Leathermans allows me to use a small and unintimidating blade if circumstance dictates, as well as, having the other Leatherman tools. I started this after flicking open a larger Spyderco and handing it to our Materials Manager to open a box. It wasn't received well.
    I had a similar experience. I replaced my Spyderco Delica with a small SAK after handing it to a colleague to trim a loose thread on her shoe. The experience was...uhh interesting. Even though I think of the Delica as a small knife, some folks don't see it that way. I picked up the Micra last year when it looked (and I hoped) the TSA was going to allow Micras and small SAKs to fly in the cabin again, and I discovered it's about as handy as a tool can be. So versatile and unobtrusive that I don't even leave home without it anymore. And to be honest, I haven't found a daily cutting task that can't be handled by the Micra even with that diminutive blade.

-Rob

On the subject of serrations. I find them mostly annoying. Jay mentioned cutting stuff like a wet seatbelt - I've been able to do those kinds of things by starting with the tip. Once the cut is started it's easy to continue.

But I realize I spend a lot of time in the woods, and I find myself swimming in the ocean much less, so my use case is different now. A couple of years ago it would probably have been a lot easier to make me see serrations as utilitarian.

I really need to figure out a smallish fixed blade setup. The more I think about it, the more sense that makes.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    How often is that?
    Unclipping the knife or CCing??

I'm a knife hugger and not at all an expert. I've carried two folders since the late 90s because, as I consider the knife mostly an emergency tool, I wanted to have one accessible to at least one hand if things went wrong (like a car accident or a fight).

I came down to having the one clipped to my weak hand side be the one more dedicated to defense so that I wouldn't get confused if I had to draw my gun, though both knives could be used for defense.

I have always wanted a small fixed blade knife for carry because of its natural strength, so now that I got the Watson HiTS , I carry it horizontally and still have a folder clipped on my weak hand side.

Still with all the thinking, and accumulating of knives, I've done over the years, their primary use is cutting open boxes and the like. Nevertheless, I'm happy with my set up.

User Tag List