Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Spyderco CPMS30V has been clipped to my jeans pocket everyday for the last 3 years or so - not so much for SD, just for simple utilitarian purposes. I like keeping it always sharp with the Syderco Triangle Sharpmaker, because a dull knife is about as handy as an inaccurate rifle. Since I work in an office environment with a "no weapons" policy, CC or a knife clipped to the pocket is a no-go, though I've carried the knife on occasion on dress-down Fridays (forgetting it was there) and haven't been called on it. Not ready to try that with the Walther though....

Only once I have I noticed someone noticing the clip of the knife while I was seated at a restaurant. It was a young guy who may have been carrying one himself, maybe he was just trying to figure out what knife I had. I generally unclip the knife and let it fall into my pocket when CCing.

I carried pocket clip knives and found they worked best with cargos or uniform pants. I didn't like carrying one in jeans because it made it difficult to get to anything else carried in the pocket. I've had Benchmades, Emersons, and CRKs, but now carry an old Buck 110 with a one hand opening device on it. It rides in a horizontal sheath left of my belt buckle, and leaves my right front pocket for my cell phone.

Unless everybody here carries a gun, I don't think clips are much of a tell. I see a lot of workmen with $10 pocket clip box cutters and knock off Spydercos.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I generally unclip the knife and let it fall into my pocket when CCing.
    How often is that?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I carried pocket clip knives and found they worked best with cargos or uniform pants. I didn't like carrying one in jeans because it made it difficult to get to anything else carried in the pocket. I've had Benchmades, Emersons, and CRKs, but now carry an old Buck 110 with a one hand opening device on it. It rides in a horizontal sheath left of my belt buckle, and leaves my right front pocket for my cell phone.

Unless everybody here carries a gun, I don't think clips are much of a tell. I see a lot of workmen with $10 pocket clip box cutters and knock off Spydercos.
    I find that the "watch" pocket on jeans is a great place to stash a folding knife and keep it out of the way of the main pocket.

I also found during Paul Sharp's class that it's a *miserable* way to store a knife you want to access in a fight, but then I never personally managed to find a *good* place to put a wave folder, so there's that.

I love my little Spyderco Ambitious as an EDC utility knife, and it's cheap enough I don't worry about losing it somewhere. But Sharp's class really showed I need to find something with a fixed blade that I'm comfortable carrying under Ohio's "we know it when we see it" concealed weapon laws.

Normally I carry a strong folder, as I'm pretty rough on them (Emerson HD-7 or SnG). All are easily opened with one hand, and the Emerson can be opened on the draw, though I never use it that way. The BEST pocket addition in the last couple years has been the Rexford R.U.T., as it has saved me from ruining the edge on my folder. The Emerson in this pic has had the blade shortened from the factory cause I chipped so much off from the blade. I made a brass bead and lanyard for the R.U.T. so I can just throw it in my pocket and retrieve it easily. It's a titanium framelock utility tool that accepts standard contractor blades. It also has a screwdriver/prybar tip, and a bottle opener. I LOVE this thing.

Quite a few years back, I had raven make me a couple of knife holsters. I had one made for a mini-commander, and another for the HD-7. I wanted the ability to carry a knife on the left side of my body. But I didn't want to move the clip of the knife around, nor was I willing to displace the surefire in my left pocket. The raven guys made the holster with the same footprint as a 1911 mag holster, so it integrated well with the rest of their system.

I almost always have a knife clipped to my front pocket or my cargo pocket depending on what I'm wearing. I carry it for everyday utility and not as a defensive weapon. I prefer a deep pocket clip but some of my knives don't have one because either the manufacturer doesn't make one or there isn't a suitable aftermarket clip available.

My favorites are (in no particular order) ...
    Benchmade Grip or Mini-Grip
    DPX HEAT
    Zero Tolerance 566BW
    Zero Tolerance 0350OR
    Spyderco Delica ZDP-189
    Spyderco Caly 3.5
    Spyderco Dragonfly ZDP-189
    SAK Farmer in orange
    Leatherman Juice S2 in orange
    Shaerk Knives neck knife (carried in my pocket because it's very flat and carries behind my iPhone in my pocket)

I always have my mini grip with me. Pretty much everyone here and where I grew up has a pocket knife on them for one reason or another. If I'm carrying my LCR (super hot days) then I have a izula worn at 11 o clock in a dsg sheath.

I've got a pretty good collection of carry knives but have mostly been carrying a P'Kal or Kershaw Emerson CQC5.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I would love to carry a small fixed blade daily. Unfortunately, WV knife laws are a gray area. You can open carry a fixed blade for hunting but you can't conceal one for self defense but maybe it doesn't count if it's less than 3.5" or if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit. However, WV issued me a Concealed Pistol License instead of a CWP soo I don't even bother. :sigh:
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List