Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Do you have a preference between the Sage 5 or Mantra? I've been looking at a "nicer" folder and those two are in the running. I sorta want a titanium frame lock, which also throws the Sage 2 into the mix, along with a few different ZT models. But at least on paper I think the ZTs (0808 and 450) might be a little big for every day use (for me).
    For reference I have a ZT350; I like it but it's really the upper end for me size wise and frankly overkill for my typical uses.

I have 0450 as well and it was my daily carry until I got the mantra. I would say the mantra is best of the three, however, it has one thing going against it in my opinion and that's the flipper tab. The sage finger choil allows you to choke up, while the tab on the mantra does not allow this. That being said the mantra has a great blade to handle ratio and really disappeared in the pocket, you can actually still use the pocket it's sitting in unlike a pm3. The sage 5 is slightly thicker in the handle.

Site Supporter
    Throwing in pm2/3 for size comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    I have 0450 as well and it was my daily carry until I got the mantra. I would say the mantra is best of the three, however, it has one thing going against it in my opinion and that's the flipper tab. The sage finger choil allows you to choke up, while the tab on the mantra does not allow this. That being said the mantra has a great blade to handle ratio and really disappeared in the pocket, you can actually still use the pocket it's sitting in unlike a pm3. The sage 5 is slightly thicker in the handle.

Thanks, that's good info on the Mantra, and exactly why I'm not looking hard at a PM2 or 3. It's not so much the length but the width they take up in the pocket (uh, phrasing).
    Meanwhile I'm fighting an irrational urge to go a whole different direction, the Three Sisters Forge Beast. There's just something about it that appeals to me.
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/TSF...tanium-handles

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Thanks, that's good info on the Mantra, and exactly why I'm not looking hard at a PM2 or 3. It's not so much the length but the width they take up in the pocket (uh, phrasing).
    Meanwhile I'm fighting an irrational urge to go a whole different direction, the Three Sisters Forge Beast. There's just something about it that appeals to me.
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/TSF...tanium-handles
    The 0450 and the mantra/delica are the best two I have for in pocket carry that doesn't get in the way. The flipper and dentent on the 0450 is fantastic, probably one of the best actions out there. However, the clip rides higher in the pocket than the mantra. This is really caused it to lose pocket time for me. I think spydie's deep care wire clip is the best on the market and I actively seek their knives with them. My advice would be just keep buying them, that's half the fun anyway.

in the fwiw category, the only folder I carry today is a SAK of one variety or another.

When I did carry "tactical" folders, the Paramilitary was my favorite. I have not handled the newer ones, but mine is a prototype and has been everywhere and done everything. I keep wanting to get a newer one, but since it would just sit in a drawer, I haven't.

I have no issue sharpening knives, but I do wish the companies would stop using supersteels so much.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    in the fwiw category, the only folder I carry today is a SAK of one variety or another.

I have no issue sharpening knives, but I do wish the companies would stop using supersteels so much.
    I agree. I used to chase exotic steel only to find that it's a lot like a shotgun with a really long tube magazine. You may enjoy a longer interval before you need to reload but reloading that thing to capacity takes forever. I've gone back to slipjoints with carbon steel blades that take very little effort to hone.

I still have my first Super Tinker issued on the job thirty plus years ago. (As well as a couple of Gerber LST's.) But I've really come to enjoy the alox versions of the SAK...Farmer, Pioneer and others of the breed.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've got a blue Farmer, Tom, but the rest of 'em are in the standard silver finish. Hanging around here the orange is starting to rub off on me.

Speaking of which...was Trump a registered member before I got here?

OK guys I'm about to get my first what I would consider expensive knife. The question is do I get the large Sabenza 21 or the small? It's for edc in an office environment that doesn't look that hard. But before you say it I can only afford one. ��
    Thanks,
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    OK guys I'm about to get my first what I would consider expensive knife. The question is do I get the large Sabenza 21 or the small? It's for edc in an office environment that doesn't look that hard. But before you say it I can only afford one. ��
    Thanks,
    Rick
    Small. I have both large and small. The small is by no means lacking in sufficient blade for virtually any task.

User Tag List