Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I'm a bit of a knife whore. If you want an easy-to-carry knife that will handle chores, it might be worth looking at a Strider PT CC (non-clip, rounded scales for the pocket). I also like small fixed blades; i've got a miller bros, alfa knife, and one made by a mod over at THR that I like. Speaking of THR, I was in on their Kim Breed Necker group buy; if you find neck knives comfortable, the breed large necker is about as good as it gets, IMHO. That's a cool little utility blade.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my current EDC heartthrob is this:

Attachment 2592

I carry another small folder (delica, SAK) for opening mail because I haven't decided whether to keep the SMF or not. Total knife poser stuff, I know, but that thing resells for service pistol money.
    God. The last thing I need is another expensive hobby, but I feel myself getting into knives. (Cheaper than getting into 1911's, I guess. ) I'll experiment with pocket carry - if my fullsize griptilian is annoyingly big that way, I may get a smaller thumb-opening folder and try again. Either way, I'm definitely going to experiment with belt carry with something relatively small. As for neck carry, I've never tried it, it seems awkward... is it something you get used to...?

For a small fixed blade, I have a crappy little skinner that I recently bought on the cheap. With any luck, an Adventure Sworn Walker is in my not-too-distant future - I love their stuff.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I've carried a knife clipped to my pocket for some 20 years now, at jobs in gun stores, hi-rise office buildings, airports, and call centers. I'm not likely to stop because of this thread.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The knife clipped in my pocket, generally, approaches the cost of my pistol... Until recently. The new Emerson/Kershaw collaborations are excellent (specifically the cqc6). If I had ONE knife to select, it would be my old Buck/Strider collaboration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    The knife clipped in my pocket, generally, approaches the cost of my pistol... Until recently. The new Emerson/Kershaw collaborations are excellent (specifically the cqc6). If I had ONE knife to select, it would be my old Buck/Strider collaboration.
    The Kershaw-Emerson CQC6 is amazing. $30 on Amazon Prime. I could lose 3 of them and still love the 4th for the total cost.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I didn't adapt well to a knife clipped to my pocket, but like it clipped to a Carhartt leg pocket. I generally carry several knives daily, a smallish Gerber clipped to the leg pocket, a Buck 112 in a 1911 mag carrier on my belt, a medium size Swiss Army, and a medium Leatherman both in the left front pocket. I use them all, if not daily, then often enough to be worthwhile to me to have them. When not in places I cant carry a gun, I tend to add a different pocket knife into the mix.

Its never taken 30 seconds to get a pocket knife out, but the one clipped to the pocket is really nice when needing one to operate one handed. The only time I've liked the serrations was opening up a hole in some drywall, otherwise they seem like more of a hindrance in anything I've tried to cut with them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I did cut a nylon rope as thick as my thumb once with the large blade of the Swiss Army knife in one pass. I had sharpened it a day or so before, it cut it easily. Cold hands couldn't untie the knot, and needed to tie up the raft.

I'm surprised at how many people don't have a knife on them regularly. I've given knives to friends that didn't ever have one, and they still don't carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The Kershaw-Emerson CQC6 is amazing. $30 on Amazon Prime. I could lose 3 of them and still love the 4th for the total cost.
    They are amazing knives for the money. If they shifted manufacturing to Taiwan, used CPM s30v or S35VN, I'd pay $100!

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Agreed. I gave one to my daughter, and it's now her favorite knife.

I carry a Joe Watson HiTS knife horizontally on my belt, under an untucked polo. For utility chores like cutting tape or paper, I carry a small Swiss Army Knife in the watch pocket of my jeans. If dressing up, the same SAK goes in the outer suit or blazer pocket. It does not cause dizziness or fainting in the politest of circles.

And the SAK is even more disposable than the aforementioned Kershaw's. You can find them at gunshows for about $10, after they have been confiscated from their rightful owners by the Theatrical Security Agency, and then resold. I think I have 5 or 6 scattered about.

I've got so many knives, I am literally a knife hoarder...heck sitting next to the bed here are five knives on the nightstand and in the chest on top of the nightstand another...20. I have knives everywhere, I think if you're in my apartment, you can't be more than ten feet from a knife at any time. It's not that I intended it that way, it's more like I just have so many they end up spread around.

For me EDC is a small fixed blade, horizontal on the belt. Lately it's been a custom Sean Kendrick No. 1 in S30V with a 2.25" clip-point blade, but I have a stack of Ban Tang's on order. Because Chicago has a ridiculous 2.5" blade length limit, I've had to go to smaller knives. Static corded to the pocket of my jacket is a Utilihak in 440C. Stashed in my daily messenger bag is a Burchtree custom Kiridashi in 1095. Dropped in the bottom of the other pocket of my pants with cellphone is a Leatherman Micra with a little keyfob LED flashlight attached to it. That one serves for virtually all of the day-to-day tasks and I find it very handy. Sometimes, maybe half the time a clipped folder usually a Spyderco or Kershaw of some type. Lately though, I've moved away from them. I picked up the Micra last year and found it so handy as utility tool and then switched to a fixed blade as a potential defensive tool, the tactical folder sort of fell to the way side.

And that's just the knives...then there is the impact weapons, OC, and flashlights...

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Either way, I'm definitely going to experiment with belt carry with something relatively small. As for neck carry, I've never tried it, it seems awkward... is it something you get used to...?
    I never got used to neck carry. I've decided it doesn't work for me. As to a small fixed blade on the belt, one cheaper way to try the concept out is the boker version of Mickey Yurco's custom all-purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/BOKER-PLUS-Yur.../dp/B00BCFQ8CG

The sheath could be set up with a pull the dot belt loop from knife kits, sort of like some P-F'ers do with clinch picks (Jody H turned me on to that).

I'll probably have to delve into Yurcos next; as you note, it's another money drain hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Plus serrations suck to sharpen (though I'm no expert and could very well be doing it wrong...)
    The Spyderco 204 tool makes sharpening serrations a snap… except for the oddly-configured serrations I've seen on Cold Steel blades. That's another reason I don't like Cold Steel knives.

Serrations can be annoying… until you need them. Like Jay C stated, some things don't respond well to small plain edges.

My EDC is an old Spyderco Endura with a Black T fully-serrated blade that I used to keep clipped to my vest as a BUK when in uniform. It handles general cutting chores well, but I also keep an old SAK in my pocket for "fine" cutting.

I have a Spyderco Tenacious that really like, but it is hard on my trousers; the G10 scales eat fabric at the corners. Weird, because it doesn't seem to have any sharp corners, edges, etc.

I too have considered a small fixed blade, but I've been carrying a clipped folder, conveniently, for so long I really don't see the point for my needs.

User Tag List