Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

RGB, Is that your Sebenza for sale?

That's a great price, but I'd want to see it in person before I jumped. There are too many really good looking fakes out there. The guy selling may not even know it's fake. BTW, I am not implying that this is counterfeit, just warning potential deal seekers that there are a lot of fakes on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Coincidentally... Here's one for sale at a discount ($350)
    http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75386
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm a knife neophyte so I'm asking this honestly, not tongue-in-cheek...

What makes that folder worth the asking price (~$450)?
    Tool steel is nice, but it ain't THAT expensive.
    Well, when one of your best friends grinds it up for you and builds it exactly to fit your hand and only charges you 500 bucks for it, it starts to make sense. Let me put it another way - if you understand why someone would spend money to have Hamilton Bowen build them a revolver, or Bill Riehl or Jason Burton build them a 1911, or Wayne Novak or Jim Garthwaite build them a Browning HP - then you understand why knives that cost a whole heck of a lot more than 450 bucks exist.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I've asked the same thing before...

Tassels and friendship beads attached to them seems to be prevalent too.
    Yea, there is a tassel and friendship bead attached to the custom Emerson folder in my safe and I don't mind at all.

Now don't get me wrong. For every custom knife I have, I have a production Spyderco I usually carry. The Delica and Native still reign supreme as functional day-to-day knives in my opinion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    RGB, Is that your Sebenza for sale?

That's a great price, but I'd want to see it in person before I jumped. There are too many really good looking fakes out there. The guy selling may not even know it's fake. BTW, I am not implying that this is counterfeit, just warning potential deal seekers that there are a lot of fakes on the market.
    Its not mine Rich. But it is local to me. If I can be of any help vetting its bona fides let me know.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

For fixed blade carry I rock some version of the Joe Watson HiTS knife around my neck. I tried horizontal belt carry but found in training it hung up my shirt and fouled my draw.

In my pockets was usually a Strider SnG, SMF or BM Griptillian. I prefer opening hole to thumb stud and despise the wave. Currently I run a pair of plain jane Endura 4's for a left and right option. It was a toss up between the Endura and the BM550 since both had opening holes, were reversible and trainer versions available. Cost won out.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Two of my favorite versions of items came free to me when I became a life member of the Police Marksman Assoc. in the late 70's. My favorite Maglight was the 5 C cell model. Loved that thing plenty of light and wasn't to thick in the barrel to be cumbersome when handling with a handgun. More to this thread was the pocket knife that came as well a Lakota Falcon. Loved that thing it was the right size, kept am edge like there was no tomorrow and I loved the blade lock on it. It rode in my packet as my EDC for almost 15 years before it disappeared. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a pocket clip.

My version wasn't as rounded on the edges of the handle.

I have been looking for years for something to replace it, but just like little red riding hood, to large, to little etc.

Then I won a HK model Benchmade in a Pistol-Forum drawing that was the cats meow. It was a tad large but other than that I loved it. Unfortunately the screws loosened up and the roller on the assisted opener disappeared and I haven't been able to get Benchmade to respond to my emails.

Recently I came across a made in China Kershaw Blackwash Zing with a non serrated drop point that I picked up at Dick's for about $25. I said what the hey and gave it a try. It's been a couple of months and so far I'm impressed. It's the right size, held an edge and works as advertised. My only complaint is the pocket clip is sort of minimalist and can be hard to clip on heavy jeans fabric.

While serrated blades have some utility cutting cords and such, I find that non-serrated blades work best overall for me allowing me to use more strength and control cutting closer to the hilt of the blade. At some point I want to try a Tonto point but right now drop points are my preferred blade profile.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I started carrying Cold Steel Recon knives a few years ago. They are incredibly strong, hold a decent enough edge and if I end up loosing one, I am not out $$$. The "Tri-Ad Lock" seems to work as advertised. (Lock seems to be cop-proof as we haven't seen it fail).

Site Supporter
    Over the years I've gone through plenty of knives (Spyderco, SOG, Emerson, Benchmade, CRKT, etc...). Most I have either lost, been confiscated or broken. Fortunately for me I never paid for a single one (they were all issued).

Today, I find it hard to pay a lot of money for a knife that I will probably break or loose. I would rather have several quality knives at an "economical price point" and am a big fan of the Kershaw and Spyderco's Byrd knives. For about $60 I can carry three folders; left hip, right hip and right front pocket. The one in the pocket is more of a work knife, but the two on my waistline are more for defensive use.

Quality Kershaw and Byrd knives can be found on Amazon for about $15-$30.

I really like the idea of Izula in the AIWB, but I'll have to look more into it and hopefully find something at a better economical price point

My quest for a ZT knife has lead me to a stash of factory seconds. The seller has many knives for sale but the two I am interested in the 0300BW and the 0561. The 0300BW has the SpeedSafe assisted opening. The 0561 has the KVT bearing flipper system. For EDC use which is better?

Irelander, I prefer the 0561 by far. I think it is a mechanically better design.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Irelander, I prefer the 0561 by far. I think it is a mechanically better design.
    The Kershaw Thermite is slightly smaller (3.5" vs. 3.75) version of a very similar Hinderer design. For $30.
    Downside, no texturing on the steel side of the grip. Upside, looks like a more concealable 4-way pocket clip, nearly 7 for the price of 1.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List