Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Pocket knives

[Continuing from the Encumbrance thread in the Mindset forum.]

I don't know jack about fighting knives, so I haven't gotten a clinch pick or anything like that. I have an old H2O griptilian (I swapped out the bright orange scales for something brownish) because when I lived in Miami I used to go swimming in the ocean with it and no issues over a period of maybe 9 months. I've kept it because it does everything I ask. Including, for example, a little light chopping and processing of dead pine to build a little baby fire by the creek with boys after school this afternoon. I strop my griptilian probably once a week when I notice performance loss, and sharpen on a little diamond hone maybe once a month, and actually rework the bevel maybe once a year, because I use it so much for things that aren't nice to the blade. I also often carry a SAK in my pocket because my oldest boy is always asking to use it (he used it today to help scrape some bark off the pine) and I love that little thing but it feels like a chore to pull it out of my pocket. I use it a lot because it's literally 2 seconds to grab it, and 4 seconds to put it away. I use it often enough for little things that I would probably just tear with my hands if I had to pause for 30 seconds while I scrounge in my cargo shorts to find granpa's old schrade and fumble two-handed to open the blade.

So, I choose a folder clipped to my pocket. If there's another way to carry a convenient, no-maintenance knife that's good for opening mail, camp chores, light prying, etc., and doesn't mind getting dull, I'd like to hear options!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

I usually wind up doing either the mini-griptilian in the pocket and the clinch pick on the belt, or just the p'kal in the pocket.

Site Supporter
    I have a Griptilian or Mini Griptilian clipped to my front pocket and an ESEE Izula in CCC sheath at 11 o'clock. The Izula has TKC G10 scales and I have the versa sheath mounted on a Spyderco G-Clip as I didn't like the soft loop or kydex belt loop included with it. The Izula on the belt is a great option IMO.

Which p'kal, and is it a decent utility knife? E.g., is it awkward to cut steak or make wood shavings or ...? I've never even held one, is why I ask.

I just did a little playing around and I think I'm going to try carrying the griptilian in the pocket without the clip for a while, see if it's any less convenient.

As for the Izula, that's a great little blade. I know it can certainly do what I need a knife to do! I may get a little kydex sheath made for the only small fixed-blade that I have (a skinner) and see how that works for me. I've never routinely carried a fixed blade, so should give it a shot just to see.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

The Spyderco. Utility knife? Eh, it's not really built for that but of course I've used it in that capacity. I like at least a partial blade serration on a utility knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I like at least a partial blade serration on a utility knife.
    Interesting, why's that? I used to agree, but once I started honing the edge every so often, I find I prefer a plain edge most of the time. Once in a great while I'll find myself sawing through, say, hard plastic or something, and wishing for serrations. But 99% of the time I'd rather have a sharp plain edge. Plus serrations suck to sharpen (though I'm no expert and could very well be doing it wrong...)

ETA: I live a few minutes from the Spyderco shop, I'll have to drop in and check it out anyway. Thanks for the excuse.

There are just some things that seem to need the blade to "bite" into and a partial serration pretty much covers it for me. I love that little Mini-Griptilian.

Edited to add: try using a fine edge on a wet seatbelt sometime, or something constructed like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Which p'kal, and is it a decent utility knife? E.g., is it awkward to cut steak or make wood shavings or ...? I've never even held one, is why I ask.

I just did a little playing around and I think I'm going to try carrying the griptilian in the pocket without the clip for a while, see if it's any less convenient.

As for the Izula, that's a great little blade. I know it can certainly do what I need a knife to do! I may get a little kydex sheath made for the only small fixed-blade that I have (a skinner) and see how that works for me. I've never routinely carried a fixed blade, so should give it a shot just to see.
    Candiru without scales may do the trick. Knife selection will be based on mode of carry and what you're willing to stuff in your pocket or on your belt.

If you are wearing an untucked shirt you can use the belt line and go Izula II, Candiru, or any other fixed blade. A Clinch Pick or Spyderco P'kal can certainly cut things but that's not the best tool for the job.

If you're cool with pocket carry the folder may be fine or a Candiru in a small sheath. If you don't wanna dig the MDTS Pocket Shield is pretty cool but may be out of place lounging in jeans.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm a bit of a knife whore. If you want an easy-to-carry knife that will handle chores, it might be worth looking at a Strider PT CC (non-clip, rounded scales for the pocket). I also like small fixed blades; i've got a miller bros, alfa knife, and one made by a mod over at THR that I like. Speaking of THR, I was in on their Kim Breed Necker group buy; if you find neck knives comfortable, the breed large necker is about as good as it gets, IMHO. That's a cool little utility blade.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my current EDC heartthrob is this:

Name:  SMF copy.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  43.0 KB

I carry another small folder (delica, SAK) for opening mail because I haven't decided whether to keep the SMF or not. Total knife poser stuff, I know, but that thing resells for service pistol money.

I just got my first Delica and can't believe I've never had one before. It's the full flat ground blade, so it's a slicing SOB. Great size for EDC, light and slim also. Might be a little bit light duty for some of your needs though it's perfect for mail, food, and the like.
    I'll second the Pocket Shield as a very cool gizmo, though I haven't spent a lot of time experimenting since it seems to print in all the pants I wear most.

User Tag List