Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knives

Bailed out of CT -stupid gun laws- retired to summer house in Maine
    I have been pocket carrying a Spydy Endura every day since the early 90's. Think its the Endura 3 model. As a FF it came in handy a bunch of times. I even used it at a forcible entry evolution on a rooftop. Retired now, did 30yrs with the FD but something funny happened. Had to leave my knife in FL when I flew home last month just before the Covid hit, intending to fly back in April retrieve my car and make the return trip to New England. That did not happen. I felt naked without that pocket knife. So I bought one, then another , then another. A Para 3, then a LW Para 3. Surfcasting season for stripers coming so I bought 2 of the Salt series for their rust resistant qualities. A Pacific Salt and a Native 5 salt. I don't know what happened here. Too much time inside with the Covid scares I guess. Went my whole FD career with one knife that I actually used. Here I sit with with a bunch of new knives looking for boxes to cut or phone book pages to shred. I feel ashamed of myself but I do have a knife smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Liveliner View Post
    I have been pocket carrying a Spydy Endura every day since the early 90's. Think its the Endura 3 model. As a FF it came in handy a bunch of times. I even used it at a forcible entry evolution on a rooftop. Retired now, did 30yrs with the FD but something funny happened. Had to leave my knife in FL when I flew home last month just before the Covid hit, intending to fly back in April retrieve my car and make the return trip to New England. That did not happen. I felt naked without that pocket knife. So I bought one, then another , then another. A Para 3, then a LW Para 3. Surfcasting season for stripers coming so I bought 2 of the Salt series for their rust resistant qualities. A Pacific Salt and a Native 5 salt. I don't know what happened here. Too much time inside with the Covid scares I guess. Went my whole FD career with one knife that I actually used. Here I sit with with a bunch of new knives looking for boxes to cut or phone book pages to shred. I feel ashamed of myself but I do have a knife smile.
    We were having dinner with my cousin, (a Parisian attorney), in Paris when he turned and asked me...

..."But why do you need all those knives?"

There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Got this from my grandmother. It was my Grandfather's. I never knew him as he died before I was born.

Name:  Grandpa knife.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  66.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    in its day the AFCK was a big step up but today a PM2 or any of BM's 70 exact same blade shape and handle knives would likely be as good or better.

it is like the folks who bow to the gen 2 g19. If it was still available how many would really sell compared to gen 5?
    Id buy another today if available new from Benchmade. Probably multiples. Have you ever handled on or you are postulating?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Id buy another today if available new from Benchmade. Probably multiples. Have you ever handled on or you are postulating?
    I handled one from one of their limited runs they've done over the years.... It was an axis lock model. It was a very large knife well made and for $100 more I could get a used Glock 19. Plus I was over the axis lock thing at that point.

Other than knife forum members and people who will buy anything that was designed by a "SEAL team six guy"(just for clarity I'm not being disrespectful to anybody who has served our country). Apparently Benchmade doesn't see any reason to keep making the knife as a production unit.

And if you do like the knife that much.... And can live without it having a liner lock as it was originally designed..... Undoubtedly benchmade will make another run of them and they will go for about $250 to $350. And at that price point one should be able to pick one up before they sell out.

I handled one from one of their limited runs they've done over the years.... It was an axis lock model. It was a very large knife well made and for $100 more I could get a used Glock 19. Plus I was over the axis lock thing at that point.

Other than knife forum members and people who will buy anything that was designed by a "SEAL team six guy"(just for clarity I'm not being disrespectful to anybody who has served our country). Apparently Benchmade doesn't see any reason to keep making the knife as a production unit.

And if you do like the knife that much.... And can live without it having a liner lock as it was originally designed..... Undoubtedly benchmade will make another run of them and they will go for about $250 to $350. And at that price point one should be able to pick one up before they sell out.
    Mine has an axis lock and I wouldnt buy one without it. Its the only benchmade ive bought and most likely the only one I will ever buy.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We were having dinner with my cousin, (a Parisian attorney), in Paris when he turned and asked me...

..."But why do you need all those knives?"

Reminds of when this family friend asked me in a snarky voice: “why do you carry a knife for?” ..I was feeling inspired for some reason, so with a very straight face I told her “Cause I never know when I may need to spread some butter” which managed shut her up.

I take exception to your remark which implies that those who purchase a knife that a member of service, or other armed professional may have had a role in designing, are ignorant sheep. Certainly there are folks who succumb to advertising for any particular item they desire...car, gun, cigarette, clothing etc that some "cool guy" is associated with. But, there are many more that actually know what it is they, and the item in question, are about.

When the AFCK came out, I was at least 10+ years past my training with the former SEAL Team 6 member, and only found out after the fact that he was involved in its design. (Which as I mentioned in my earlier post was gravy.)

But don't take my word for any of it. I'm posting on a pistol forum which clearly would invalidate my opinion and render any opinion that of a wannabe poser.

FWIW, I've met and spoken with Les de Asis in years past and he was a fan of the AFCK as it turns out. Enough so that he obtained a license to use the "Spyderco hole" which was protected by law.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

While not a pocket knife in the traditional sense, I have been really happy/impressed with my AmTac Northman. Good little knife and it isn’t too overt in the pocket, although the DCC clip is telling.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I take exception to your remark which implies that those who purchase a knife that a member of service, or other armed professional may have had a role in designing, are ignorant sheep. Certainly there are folks who succumb to advertising for any particular item they desire...car, gun, cigarette, clothing etc that some "cool guy" is associated with. But, there are many more that actually know what it is they, and the item in question, are about.

When the AFCK came out, I was at least 10+ years past my training with the former SEAL Team 6 member, and only found out after the fact that he was involved in its design. (Which as I mentioned in my earlier post was gravy.)

But don't take my word for any of it. I'm posting on a pistol forum which clearly would invalidate my opinion and render any opinion that of a wannabe poser.

FWIW, I've met and spoken with Les de Asis in years past and he was a fan of the AFCK as it turns out. Enough so that he obtained a license to use the "Spyderco hole" which was protected by law.
    Not sure what your post means so bear with me....

My comments strictly are aimed at ROI and marketing. Just like my earlier post about the gen 2 G19. I think there is a very small market for a 4" bladed folder for $250+ if you go outside the tac. crowd and forum junkies. (and so no one gets chafed there is nothing wrong with forum junkies and the tac. crowd) Apparently BM thinks the same even if the founder of the company liked it.

If I could find an original AFCK for a reasonable price (new or like new) I would likely buy one just cause.

I believe Spyderco turned him down on building the AFCK even though his ideas were loosely based on a Spyderco. So he (Caracci) went to BM and they built it fairly close to what he wanted. The newer runs are with an axis lock that he did not like for its intended use. In MY opinion the Spyderco Military was either influenced by Chris or too similar to what he wanted the AFCK to be for Spyderco to make. It has a cool history no question. The AFCK and the Al Mar SERE folder are likely the fathers of the tactical (common use of the word) folder.

FWIW I probably have (folders) 30 Spyderco's, 6 Kershaw's, 4 BM's, a Sebenza and likely some other shit and I cary a....FFG delica vg-10 most of the time.

I still believe there is modern folders that offer as much or more for a lot less.

User Tag List