Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Razor HD 1-6

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It has great field of view, illumination, and I really like the VMR-2 Mil reticle. It's the only scope in the price range where the tube seems to disappear on 1x. Swarovski and Kahles both do this, but for a lot more money. The only downsides are the weight and the magnification ring is a little harder to adjust than some other scopes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    Agreed on this, and I'll add that it seems to be built like a tank. Plus, dat warranty! Sean M has some amount of time with mine, maybe he'll see this thread and share his take.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    I think the easiest way to select an optic is to decide on which features you really want because certain features are only available in a few optics. For example, most of the 1-x optics in the Vortex price range have similar glass, but very few have truly daylight bright illumination, and even fewer have a daylight bright dot. I really like having the dot, but lack of a daylight bright dot can be mostly overcome with good reticle design. I actually like the dots in the Vortex and VX-6 more than the Swaro Z6i because they are smaller and red instead of amber.

These are the features I really care about in a 1-x:

Good reticle: usable throughout the power range with and without illumination preferably with 1 or 1/2 mil holds for elevation and windage (I think in mils, so this will be highly user dependent). For me, smaller than 1 mil subtensions are more distracting than beneficial until the upper magnification range gets to about 8x.
    Forgiving eyebox: my primary use for this type of scope is 3gun so being able to quickly get behind the optic with no shadowing is very important. This is also important throughout the power range. Some scopes are ok on 1x, but have very tight eyeboxes at the upper magnification.
    Daylight bright dot: as discussed above, lack of this feature can be overcome with a good reticle design. Those that work the best for me without a dot are the SWFA 1-4, USO 1-4 DFP, and the Trijicon VCOG segmented circle reticle.
    Good field of view: again this matters throughout the power range

I have a VX6, too. I got the German #4 reticle to get Mil clicks and I don't like the SPR reticle. Leupold would have the best value 1-6, if the just put a good reticle in the VX6. It's also 11 oz. lighter than the Vortex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    That 11 oz. is huge IMO. It's the primary thing that has me looking at the VX6 with Firedot Circle reticle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That 11 oz. is huge IMO. It's the primary thing that has me looking at the VX6 with Firedot Circle reticle.
    Maybe if we all email Leupold telling them to put a better reticle in the VX6 it will finally work. I've heard from two people at Leupold that they are working on a BDC reticle for the VX-6, which would be an improvement, but I'd prefer if they incorporated a mil "christmas tree" in the current German #4 reticle.

Maybe if we all email Leupold telling them to put a better reticle in the VX6 it will finally work. I've heard from two people at Leupold that they are working on a BDC reticle for the VX-6, which would be an improvement, but I'd prefer if they incorporated a mil "christmas tree" in the current German #4 reticle.
    The mil thing makes no difference to me for my use. I don't know how to use them, and don't have any real interest in taking the time to learn. At best, I'd use them as holdover hashmarks at known distances. I just don't get to shoot at distance enough for it to matter. I with the VXR patrol was a true 1x, or closer to it, since the 6x really is overkill for me.

I really just want the lightest 4x or 6x Aimpoint replacement.

Site Supporter
    The mil thing makes no difference to me for my use. I don't know how to use them, and don't have any real interest in taking the time to learn. At best, I'd use them as holdover hashmarks at known distances. I just don't get to shoot at distance enough for it to matter. I with the VXR patrol was a true 1x, or closer to it, since the 6x really is overkill for me.

I really just want the lightest 4x or 6x Aimpoint replacement.
    Then the VX6 in an Aero Precision mount is probably perfect for you.

I really like my Meopta Meostar K-Dot 1-4X.
    Very bright uncluttered reticle and super clear glass.
    Ive used it hard on my 3-gun carbine and its never let me down.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Then the VX6 in an Aero Precision mount is probably perfect for you.
    Have you used that mount? I was leaning heavily towards one but (A) I can't figure out how much extension I'd need for that optic and AP isn't helping, and (B) have seen some people allude to the mounting system not holding securely to the flattop.

Site Supporter
    Have you used that mount? I was leaning heavily towards one but (A) I can't figure out how much extension I'd need for that optic and AP isn't helping, and (B) have seen some people allude to the mounting system not holding securely to the flattop.
    I'm using AP mounts with my Vortex and VX6. I haven't had any zero shifting issues, but I've only been using the mounts for about 6 months. I'm more worried about the scope shifting in the rings than the mount shifting on the upper. The AP mount has three cross pieces compared to the usual two, but there are only two screws per ring, which is how they get the super low weight.

I shoot pretty far back on the stock (I'm 5'7" and use an A2 stock), and I use the extended model for the Vortex and the standard model for the VX6. Both are mounted as far forward on the upper receiver as they can go, and the scopes are mounted forward in the mounts. If you shoot NTCH or close to it, I would get their newer SPR mount which has the most amount of cantilever. Even if you don't need all of the cantilever, you could still move the scope back in the mount or move the mount back a few slots on the upper.

That reassures me a bit, and sounds like a good solution on the mounting issue.

Thanks.

User Tag List