Thread: Question about form 4

Question about form 4

When getting everything inline to purchase a supreasor, I know it's asks the name and model and info about the supressor.. Does this mean you have to decide which one you want then do the paper work and you can only buy that particular one? Or does this mean I have to go ahead and pay for it and the company I bought it from holds it till I get my stamp? Had ppl tell me both and can't find a solid answer.

You basically have to buy it first. Afterwards you will get the make, model, and serial number entered into your form. Thus the form is for that specific can with that specific serial number. The dealer will hold this for you until the form is approved by the examiner. Wait times for paper Form 4 is about 6-9 months (maybe faster as they are adding more examiners). My most recent E-form Form 1 took only 19 days via the corporate route.

You purchase the suppressor, then send in the paperwork to the ATF with the make/mod/serial number, the dealer holds the suppressor until the stamp is approved. Then you can pick up from the dealer or have it delivered.

I went through Silencershop.com in Austin, and they guys were very helpful on the phone. Answered a lot of questions and were patient with me. This was my first suppressor as well.

Picked out a AAC 762-sdn6, paid via credit card on line. E mailed a copy of my trust. They filled out the paperwork and submitted to the ATF.

So, I "own" the suppressor because the serial number is assigned to me and they charged the card, but I cant take possession until the ATF stamps my form. About 3 months into my wait.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    The above is correct.

You don't take possession of the item until it's approved. However, you do own it.

Ok cool. Thanks guys. Putting together my first dedicated long range bolt gun and a can sure would be nice. Out of the 3 ways to do it (personal,trust,corparate..) is there one that is faster than the other? Or all just a matter of luck.

"Faster" in this case is less important than whether your local LEO will sign off on an application for a transfer to an individual and whether you would want other people to be able to use/possess the firearm.

Yea I think I'm just gonna go the trust route and pay a lawyer that specializes in this stuff. Seems like the easiest way

2 Items of Note,

1. I highly, highly, recommend paying the extra money to have a lawyer EXPERIENCED with NFA transfer processes and NFA law draft your trust so that it it is tailored to you and your families needs, and make sure this person believes in servicing the trusts they produce (adding/subtracting new members/beneficiaries). If you can find a good one in your area that you can go and sit down with, you will not only end up with a well drafted document that will protect your interests but you will also 'basically' end up with 'tech support' for ATF forms and general processes. Well worth the investment IMO.

2. I cannot strongly enough second the recommendation to buy from Dave & the guys at silencershop.com, first class operation with excellent service, support & prices.

Already planned to use Dave and his recommended lawyers

User Tag List