Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Glock 42 vs. 642 range report

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, it is possible that the different shifts simply do it differently; our PD is huge, so our qual range runs three shifts! The previous time I qual'ed, it was during night shift; when the duty pistol qual finished, I switched to the off-duty/back-up pistol, and fired all fifty rounds from 15 yards, at my own pace. I will check with the night shift guys, to verify this. Each shift's commanding supervisor can exercise quite a bit of control.

I think the reason for one mag at 15, one mag at 7, and then finishing the balance of fifty rounds, rapid-firing, at two yards, is to encourage us to carry bigger and/or higher-capacity weapons. Some of the RO's words, in hindsight, lead me to think so. (There has been a parallel urging, during the officer safety part of the annual classrooom in-service training, that we carry serious fighting pistols all of the time.) Instead of mandating the elimination of tiny guns, the qual is made more difficult to achieve with revolvers and low-cap weapons, perhaps?

We can, actually, opt to shoot an off-duty/back-up weapon on the duty handgun qual course, which is easy enough to pass with a six-shot revolver, if one's speedloading skills are good, but quite a bit more challenging, though possible, with a five-shot, assuming the empties are reliably kicked out, clean, with no fumbles.
    No offense intended Rex. I've always believed in carrying big guns, but I think niche guns like the airweight J-frames shouldn't be eliminated from consideration for backup or off-duty. Most cops are pretty lax about carrying, so eliminating the easy to carry might set them up for not carrying at all. I like 5 or 6 shot neutral quals. If you would normally shoot 6, with a J-frame shoot five for the string.

Stay Safe.

Well, it is possible that the different shifts simply do it differently; our PD is huge, so our qual range runs three shifts! The previous time I qual'ed, it was during night shift; when the duty pistol qual finished, I switched to the off-duty/back-up pistol, and fired all fifty rounds from 15 yards, at my own pace. I will check with the night shift guys, to verify this. Each shift's commanding supervisor can exercise quite a bit of control.

I think the reason for one mag at 15, one mag at 7, and then finishing the balance of fifty rounds, rapid-firing, at two yards, is to encourage us to carry bigger and/or higher-capacity weapons. Some of the RO's words, in hindsight, lead me to think so. (There has been a parallel urging, during the officer safety part of the annual classrooom in-service training, that we carry serious fighting pistols all of the time.) Instead of mandating the elimination of tiny guns, the qual is made more difficult to achieve with revolvers and low-cap weapons, perhaps?

We can, actually, opt to shoot an off-duty/back-up weapon on the duty handgun qual course, which is easy enough to pass with a six-shot revolver, if one's speedloading skills are good, but quite a bit more challenging, though possible, with a five-shot, assuming the empties are reliably kicked out, clean, with no fumbles.
    Not to derail this to much but what is your duty pistol?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Not to derail this to much but what is your duty pistol?
    SIG P229 DAK, .40 S&W cartridge. DAK was my choice; DA/SA is approved, too.

The other choices: P226 .40, P220 & P227 .45 ACP, G22/23, G21, S&W M&P .40 & .45; a myriad of other pistols grandfathered; this is for those in uniform. Plain-clothed investigators have other options, including 9mm and .38/.357. "Off-duty/back-up" is wide-open, with a very few restrictions. I can, should I choose, still tote a 1911 concealed on my own time, or even as a secondary weapon while on the clock! (We may be the largest agency still allowing the 1911 to be carried by any officer who chooses to buy and qual with one, though only those who grandfathered their 1911s in 1997 can still wear them in uniform.)

The minimum cartridges I can carry, as sole armament, are .380 ACP and .38 Special. Anything smaller can only be a back-up, carried in addition to .380/.38+. I have tended to pack much heavier than this.

Back to the G42: I finally handled one today. It made a good first impression!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    OEM plastic sights and PMC ball. Yeah, pretty weak sauce.
    Top 3 ball loads in my G42 are Remington Leadless FNEB, Fiocchi FMJ & Armscor USA FMJ. All are sub 2" at 15 yards with the Remington going 1.25". Best 3 JHPs are Hornady FTX, Federal Hydra Shok and Winchester Ranger RA380T. The Hornady & Federal loads shoot 1.25". BTW, the Hydra Shok also hit 1.125" out of my S&W Bodyguard .380, right in the x-ring.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

The first 13 rounds out of my G42 were Fiocchi ball, centered a bit high in a 4" group in the top of the A zone, standing from 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The first 13 rounds out of my G42 were Fiocchi ball, centered a bit high in a 4" group in the top of the A zone, standing from 25 years.
    Hell I wish I could do that with my compact pistol. Counting flyers I get 5 to 6inch groups hand held at 25yards. but I shoot kind a fast.
    Never tried the Docs way of taking time in between shots.

Edit to add

BTW good shooting Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hell I wish I could do that with my compact pistol. Counting flyers I get 5 to 6inch groups hand held at 25yards. but I shoot kind a fast.
    Never tried the Docs way of taking time in between shots.

Edit to add

BTW good shooting Chuck
    My issued G17 doesn't even hold that tight, wish it did.

Site Supporter
    I've got 500 rounds of Freedom Munitions 100gr RNFP and a few boxes of Gold Dot's on the way to test in mine. The gun, HD sights, ammo, extra mags and DSG holster should all be here by the end of the week.

My employer's new "off-duty/back-up" qual is not kind to revolvers, as we shoot one "magazine" at 15 yards, one "magazine" at 7 yards, and then move to two yards, where we must shoot the balance of fifty rounds within 30 seconds.

This just begs the question: "Who carries 50 rounds with them, when they are carrying a BUG?"

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Top 3 ball loads in my G42 are Remington Leadless FNEB, Fiocchi FMJ & Armscor USA FMJ. All are sub 2" at 15 yards with the Remington going 1.25". Best 3 JHPs are Hornady FTX, Federal Hydra Shok and Winchester Ranger RA380T. The Hornady & Federal loads shoot 1.25". BTW, the Hydra Shok also hit 1.125" out of my S&W Bodyguard .380, right in the x-ring.
    Thanks, I'll look our for those. Esp the Fiocchi which is seems I've had good luck with in 9mm. I'm sure I'm the weak link. Operative word "weak". Spoiled shooting all this minus connector 19s and 17s and getting overpowered by this stiffish little trigger I guess.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List