Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it too soon to get on the trigger?

When is it too soon to get on the trigger?

I posted this at Gun Nuts, but I'll cross post it over here and cut out some of the cabbagehead talk that's necessary for a different audience. Here's the important photo:

Name:  Caleb on the trigger.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  77.4 KB

This is at the 2014 IDPA Nationals. I am pretty clearly touching the trigger while moving the gun towards the target. The gun is below my eye level, but is clear of any obstacles, parts of my body, and is actually pointed at the berm in a safe direction.

Notes: I am not taking the slack out of the trigger in this photo. The entire series, captured at a pretty high shutter speed, shows that the hammer doesn't start to move until the gun is at (or pert near) full extension. Also, I don't stage the trigger during this phase, I move the gun to full extension and then press/pull/slap the trigger, whatever's appropriate for the shot.

Now, I understand that this is all situational, because the point where you touch the trigger could change based on the target/situation. To try and avoid that, I'd ideally want to confine the discussion to a static target engagement in competition and training. I know that I get on the trigger early, I've seen it in enough photos to understand it's absolutely a habit I have. Two questions then: for shooters, do you know when you're getting on the trigger, and for trainers, when do you teach your students it's appropriate to start touching the trigger?

Macro answer to the question posed in the title: too soon is if the muzzle is covering a bodypart or someone/something you really don't want to shoot.
    My finger is entering the trigger guard during the rise "up the escalator" to full index with prepping the take up as sights get on the target. A few times this year I've triggered a shot before full index and my hit was an alpha or charlie. One was on a video of shooting The Test with a G26 and it scored in the 8 ring at 6:00. These are RATIONALIZATIONS as to why I'm not overly concerned about it - 3 instances IIRC from hundreds and hundreds of live fire draws to shot in something like 40 range trips; occurring on a target I intended to shoot anyhoo.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    too soon is if the muzzle is covering a bodypart or someone/something you really don't want to shoot.
    I'm in this camp.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I'm in this camp.
    Me too, generally speaking. As an observation, when I transition from revolvers to things with lighter triggers like 1911s, I have to spend a certain amount of time actively changing when I touch the trigger. I've had practice sessions where the gun will go off well before I intended it to, but the round always goes into the berm and frequently into the target itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    too soon is if the muzzle is covering a bodypart or someone/something you really don't want to shoot.
    I'm going to go with this too.

Once the pistol is pointed in the direction of the target, the finger hits the trigger and the slack starts to come out as I extend. I tend to leave about 50 to 75% of the trigger travel still unused until I lock on the target, then break the shot.

Note: the above is with DA revolvers and DA/SA semis. When I used to shoot striker pistols, I rode the trigger but applied no force to it until fully extended or nearly so.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I posted this at Gun Nuts, but I'll cross post it over here and cut out some of the cabbagehead talk that's necessary for a different audience. Here's the important photo:
    When you are playing games it's normally in the rules. When you are NOT playing games then when you shoot your self, that's too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
    When you are playing games it's normally in the rules. When you are NOT playing games then when you shoot your self, that's too soon.
    That is some pretty nice circular reasoning there.

Site Supporter
    I've noticed clearly that I get on the trigger sooner when shooting a DA revolver than a 1911. Obviously it requires more force to press the trigger on the revolver so I guess I've been telling myself it's okay. I may need to rethink that and I'm interested in where this thread goes, but for now I don't feel that I am creating unnecessary risk the way I am doing it.

A pic of Bob at the IDPA Nationals this weekend. Naturally the internet Safety Patrol came out in force. Bob's reply: In reality guys this is what it takes sometimes to get a 1second draw from concealment. Realize of course the ONLY way anyone can see this (on skilled shooters) is in high speed photography after the fact. Try it sometime yourself?? Bottom line is muzzle is downrange (not pointed at me or anyone else) and I am in the process of engaging a very close target. That said I still don't think my finger is quite touching the trigger. If I was having ADs into the ground within the thousands of rounds I shoot every year I also think I would change things up. Like I said I think this is the reality of high speed practical shooting sometimes. Is it unsafe? I guess that depends on the shooter and the circumstance. Many people still consider just running around with a gun to be unsafe. The simple truth of this world though is that to be altogether safe often means you sacrifice effectiveness.....of which I happen to care a great deal about........and we all have to find our own balance between the two.

Some video I took of Frank Proctor earlier this year. He has the conventional viewpoint.

edit/deleted, vid works for me now.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List