Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger finger placement

My opinion. From about the 2009 time frame. Only video that I know of that is still out there. Yes, it is long. I had several related topics on raw video most of which never made it to final edit and video. The grip is almost as critical of a topic, especially with the Glock and pretty much share a symbiotic relationship. Counter torque or counter pressure is not the answer. Guys using the modern ISO are finally catching on en mass to breaking forearm bone alignment and attempting to find a natural point of aim that I always related to the same concept as with a long gun and using it on a pistol. It's about time and better late than never.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6-eJTS_5qg

I watched that video a looong time ago and it was helpful then, but with some added experience, it was even more helpful this time. Thank you for posting it Surf. I know you posted elsewhere about your reasons for taking down your youtube channel, but I sure miss the nuanced expertise you presented in those videos. Now I have something clear and concise to work on during my next range outing.
    Memento Mori

I've noticed that sometimes, while shooting a Glock, that if I only use the very tip of my finger the safety doesn't disengage correctly. It's sort of clunky. It's like I am pulling the safety from the side instead of straight back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    My opinion. From about the 2009 time frame. Only video that I know of that is still out there. Yes, it is long. I had several related topics on raw video most of which never made it to final edit and video. The grip is almost as critical of a topic, especially with the Glock and pretty much share a symbiotic relationship. Counter torque or counter pressure is not the answer. Guys using the modern ISO are finally catching on en mass to breaking forearm bone alignment and attempting to find a natural point of aim that I always related to the same concept as with a long gun and using it on a pistol. It's about time and better late than never.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6-eJTS_5qg
    Really glad to see the video back up, thanks for that!

I used to use more finger (almost first joint) than I do now (pad/tip.) There can be something to that mythical equation of hand + gun + finger position that leads to the trigger going more straight back. That is helpful, wherever you can find it. That's what I think is good for me about less finger. I think I get a more straight back press that way. However, there can be something to more getting leverage against the trigger, and you do get that with a little deeper finger placement. I actually messed around with this in dry practice last night. I tried getting very, very slightly deeper on the grip, so I ended up with a tiny bit more finger on the trigger (maybe several millimeters difference, so not much at all.) I was doing that for the grip, not the finger placement. But there was more leverage.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I use finger tip, and ensure I finish flat. I try to do several hours of dryfire weekly using a laser. It allows me to see very precisely how my finger movement affects sight alignment.
    Taking a break from social media.

I have large hands and find myself using a lot of trigger finger on most guns, almost to the first joint. For instance, I run a large backstrap on a Gen 4 Glock, or any other gun I find for that matter that allows it.

If I use the ~middle of the pad as is often counseled, I'll inevitably push shots.

Since I mostly just shoot DA revolvers this days (and DAO autos when I can find them) I tend to universally use the first distal joint of my index finger to pull the trigger. However, on smaller revolvers like SP101s or J-Frames, I'll actually back off and use less finger on the trigger. This is because my longish index finger will poke through the trigger guard and interfere with my support hand grip on the smaller guns. That's not a problem with K-frames and larger, but on the little guns it is.

I've always thought that one size doesn't fit all. IMO, the important thing is to be able to establish a grip and finger placement that allows you to press straight to the rear without disturbing the sights. For me and Glocks, placement is about midway between the joint and tip. Revolvers and DA/SAs get the joint.

Site Supporter
    I shoot and carry 1911s and double action revolvers. When shooting a 1911 I use just the pad of my trigger finger, but when shooting a revolver I use the first joint. Trying to use just one method for both doesn't work well for me, and I don't seem to have a problem going back and forth between the two.

User Tag List