Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger finger placement

Trigger finger placement

Over the last months, initially influenced by the Ron Avery finish flat, stripe drill video, I have migrated to having less finger on the trigger than I previously did. Origami, I believe is also in the less trigger finger camp. This seems to help me press the trigger straight back, faster, and dovetails into my attempt to grip more of the front and rear of the grip, than when I was Vogel-ing it. Less finger also works for me with the Wayne Dobbs drill, quickly pressing the trigger straight back.

Interestingly, on DA/SA pistols like the Beretta 92 and S&W 1076/1066, it seems I want more finger on the trigger DA than I do SA. Without realizing it, I believe I have unconsciously been using more finger DA, and then in recoil transitioning to less finger for subsequent shots. On the timer, this hasn't cost me any time, and seems to improve my ability to press both the DA and SA triggers optimally.

Thoughts?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've noticed the same thing when I shoot.

I am significantly more accurate with more finger on the trigger in a DA press. Langdon also recommended this in a video series I found.

That said, I'm more accurate with less finger in a SA press. I haven't tried transitioning, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report back.
    Sheep Have Wool

I'm interested to hear what you guys find on this. Finger placement is one of many things in trying to mess with at the range.

Site Supporter
    I've found that when shooting for durations, I'm more consistent with an almost to the knuckle trigger pull.

The tip gives dexterity and tactility, but I find it's not as consistent over duration. While I'm always concerned that it will lead me to over triggering the gun in limited dry-fire and live-fire from a bench I found it was better.

I actually found this when zeroing 3 AR's (an AR10 and two 15's) and a .44 Magnum with scope. I couldn't keep a consistent pull going from 25 yard with all three ARs to 100 hundred zeroing BUIS and optics.

The AR10 was brutal because it had no pad, but if I anticipated recoil or flexed I'd pull shots. So, just rough the shoulder up.

ETA: I would say though that going to a cold range and pulling a striker fired Glock Im mildly concerned I'll muscle right through the trigger and pull to the right. I need to verify.

We are diminished
    Regardless of gun or stroke, I try to use my fingertip. I was taught that about 17 years ago by a GM (USPSA) and it's worked well for me since. It also makes it harder to screw up by rubbing the lower part of the trigger finger against the frame.

For the record, I have below average length fingers.

Site Supporter
    Looking at how I dry fired tonight, I naturally end up with about the entirety of my index finger nail across the trigger. So where the nail begins is where the trigger begins. This is about as far as I go through the trigger guard naturally.

However, chasing zeros with ARs with gritty GI triggers and cheap ammo; the second knuckle. I seriously need to learn to zero guns better.

3 shots some claim. I'm thinking if I stay in 2 boxes of 20 I'm doing great!

Here's my reasoning for trigger finger placement. Feel free (I insist) to take my logic apart.

1. I want my strong hand position be the same, whether I fire freestyle or strong hand only.
    2. I want to pass wall drill every time, all the time, DA, SA, SHO, or freestyle.
    3. DA SHO is the hardest of them all.
    4. Thus, I want to give that trigger as little finger as possible while being able to clean the wall drill in DA SHO close to 100%.

Just for clarification, Todd, you shoot fingertip with guns from subcompacts like the PM9 to full size handguns, correct?

I have some difficulty with fingertip placement with the smaller grip sizes, like the aforementioned PM9. I have to really scrunch up my trigger finger to get the fingertip on there. It's much easier on a full size gun.

Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interestingly, on DA/SA pistols like the Beretta 92 and S&W 1076/1066, it seems I want more finger on the trigger DA than I do SA. Without realizing it, I believe I have unconsciously been using more finger DA, and then in recoil transitioning to less finger for subsequent shots. On the timer, this hasn't cost me any time, and seems to improve my ability to press both the DA and SA triggers optimally.
    This is something I realized I do with DA/SA a few months ago when I started working with the Beretta. I have no idea if it affects my time while shooting, are you just gauging your time based on splits, or are you running a specific drill?

For myself I shoot center of first pad with a full size M&P or DA/SA Ruger P94 (and pretty much everything else I've ever shot) but trigger centered in the first joint on a shield. I have average size hands (5'9") and pull the shield hard to the left (right handed) if I use a traditional pad/trigger finger position.

My guess is the Shield being such a smaller grip is giving my finger too much leverage (open to other reasons).

User Tag List