Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire suppressor discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Last trip, so 2 weeks ago.

And the one before.

Also one at another block of training simultaneously.

Year of suppressor.....2014. BNIB.

There have never been teeth on the SF suppressors in the inventory, as we didnt start seeing them until last year. And only on precision rifles. Those ear marked for M4's and Mk18's have been pulled from the inventory, and KAC QD 1991 technology pulled out of mothball as an interim..........
    You had a new socom suppressor fly off? Those have teeth on them. I'm rather confused.

Eta: pm received.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 09-14-2014 at 08:23 PM.

I put a few hundred rounds through a few of my sf cans last week.

Unsuppressed cold barrel to suppressed I got about a 3 moa shift to 6 o clock. Between surefire cans on the same gun I got about a 1 moa to 1.5 moa shift. This is m193 at 50 yards shooting off the mag as a monopod. Group size wasn't any different from what I could tell suppressed to unsuppressed. I spoke to Garin Lee and got more info on the "cans flying off" deal. It's going to be a "he said she said" deal though, and I doubt it ends well, so I'd just rather not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If you feel the need to close with "so I'd just rather not.", it's probably prudent to just not post anything since appending that to your statement doesn't "un-say" it.
    Fair enough. According to surefire, the socom suppressor lock ring can be tightened with the suppressor not fully locked / indexed onto the mount. This can result in it feeling snug when the operator pulls forward on it, but when fired, it can and will come off and head downrange.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 09-20-2014 at 11:48 PM.

I was out zeroing some rifles yesterday and decided to test the whole "suppressor shift" thing for my setup. 10.3" Daniel Defense factory SBR (MK18). The can is an older AAC M4-2000 using a 51-tooth Blackout Flashhider mount. The setup exhibits the whole "in-between teeth click wobble" thing. Procedure was prone in the bed of my truck, target at 100 yds, fire 5 rounds without the suppressor, screw the suppressor on, fire 5 more rounds using the same POA. I borrowed the VX-R Patrol 3-9 off my M&P 10 for the test.

As you can see, the rifle exhibits negligible shift; roughly 1" in the straight downward direction (the two rounds to the right with slash marks are from rough zeroing the optic to the rifle):

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Very interesting discussion. My pre-Socom Mini has no windage shift, and the following elevation shifts:

BCM 18" SS410: -1.4 mil
    LMT Mk 18: -1 moa
    BCM 11.5" SS410: 0 shift
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

On the subject of shift. It seems to me to be dependent on a variety of factors.

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/39371.html

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    According to surefire, the socom suppressor lock ring can be tightened with the suppressor not fully locked / indexed onto the mount. This can result in it feeling snug when the operator pulls forward on it, but when fired, it can and will come off and head downrange.
    That sure sounds like a less than ideal mounting system. A false positive lock that lets go when fired!

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    That sure sounds like a less than ideal mounting system. A false positive lock that lets go when fired!
    Never been a problem here. I can insert a magazine backwards and it still fits in the mag well...again...not a problem I've had.

I had some significant shift with my legacy 556 can. Garin offered to look at the upper and can to troubleshoot it at SF's facility and I'm hoping this year to take him up on that. Showed the pics to Defoor and he said it's completely normal for any can to do that. I expect the answer will be to just decide if I want to be zeroed with it or without it.

Below are pics. All shot at 100yds. Lilja 16" patrolman (heavy) bbl with carbine gas and 1/8 twist. Optic was a 1-6 set to 6x. Each group is 10rds.

Aiming point was the orange bullseye sticker for both. Southwest Ammo 77gr.

Aiming point was the black bullseye for one and the small orange sticker for the other. Asym ammo but I can't recall if it was 77 or 70gr.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I had some significant shift with my legacy 556 can. Garin offered to look at the upper and can to troubleshoot it at SF's facility and I'm hoping this year to take him up on that. Showed the pics to Defoor and he said it's completely normal for any can to do that. I expect the answer will be to just decide if I want to be zeroed with it or without it.

Below are pics. All shot at 100yds. Lilja 16" patrolman (heavy) bbl with carbine gas and 1/8 twist. Optic was a 1-6 set to 6x. Each group is 10rds.

Aiming point was the orange bullseye sticker for both. Southwest Ammo 77gr.

Aiming point was the black bullseye for one and the small orange sticker for the other. Asym ammo but I can't recall if it was 77 or 70gr.
    That is about a 3-3.5 MOA POI shift, and I consider that to be pretty normal for a 16" barrel and a fullsize can.

Also, I would note that your "issue" is likely the weapon. I have shot my SF legacy 5.56's on multiple rifles (I have 2 of the cans), and on the same rifle. On the same rifle, I get about a 1-2 MOA shift from can-to-can. On my 10.5" Noveske, I got about 7MOA shift straight down. On my 14.5" Noveske, I got a 4 MOA shift down. On my 16" Daniel Defense, I get very minimal shift. About 2-3 MOA. (all using the same can)

Lots of factors, but the less weight you hang out there, the better, and so I have gone to mini cans.

User Tag List