Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Lovers, Geeks, 'Smiths - Advice on building a 1911?

1911 Lovers, Geeks, 'Smiths - Advice on building a 1911?

Alright ladies and gentlemen - I think I want to build my own 1911. Well okay, by build, I really mean assemble a 1911 from the cross-section of parts and learn to properly fit and install them myself and make the whole thing work. I don't have intentions of machining my own frame from a hunk of steel.

For clarity - I have fully disassembled and reassembled a few 1911s over the years, but never done more than play a bit with the fit of a slide stop or restake a plunger tube. I have done some other things over the years mechanically inclined. I worked construction for 7 years, I've built furniture, I've done most of the mechanical work on street cars and race cars, I have built tools, knives, even assembled a few AR15s, etc. So, I feel confident in my ability to use a set of calipers, take precise measurements, and with a set of hand tools, slowly but surely, assemble a 1911 from all of the requisite components, provided I don't have to do any mill work (I lack the requisite skill and tools to do such a thing).

But I'm not exactly sure where to start. The obvious thing to do seems to be to order a Caspian frame and slide and a Kart EZ-Fit barrel and go to town. But I think that's putting the Kart before the Colt (see what I did there?...). So, let me back up a second - Is there any suggested reading for someone that wants to undertake this endeavor? Suggested individuals whose opinions/expertise I should elicit? (Obviously, recognizing the expertise of folks here, I deliberately posted this thread here on P-F). Finally, suggestions on parts, tools, necessary equipment, suggested equipment, etc?

FWIW - In terms of parts I am a simple kind of guy. I am inspired by elegant "minimalist" and/or retro builds. Think Heirloom Precision - Retro (http://www.hp1911.com/index.php/retro1911) and Fighting Gun (http://www.hp1911.com/index.php/fightgun1911), or Berryhill Basic Fighting Pistol (http://www.berryhillguns.com/index.p...om-pistols/bfp) and Traditional (http://www.berryhillguns.com/index.p...ditional-model).

And yes I of course know I could buy a 1911, probably with all of the features I want, but what is the point in that?

Thanks to all, in advance, for sharing your insight, wisdom, and intellect with the ignorant.

-Rob

Something frequently overlooked is getting a beavertail radius that works for /you./

The wrong radius can make shooting the gun rather unpleasant in a way most people don't recognize. In my limited experience Dan Wesson is a perfect example of this. Great fit, amazing value for money, feels great to hold, don't like shooting it. Just a thought.

Site Supporter
    Well, I'd go to 1911pro and 1911forum....

That's where I learned most of my stuff and so far, my pistol has managed to not explode

I've got a few tools. If you need some shoot me a PM If you choose to go with an EB beavertail jig or Sear jig (although Chuck Warner's sear jig is supposed to be pretty great).

My first recommendation is this: If you want to fit together oversized parts, I'd get a Caspian. They have forged frames available if you're the sort of person who doesn't like the idea of a cast framed pistol. I wasn't worried, so my gun is cast. I'd also get a Kart EZ-fit because they're well...EZ'er to work with (heh). Although I personally used an Ed Brown barrel and they are currently on sale at Brownells.

Oh and speaking of...Brownells is your new best pal if they already aren't. You'll love em.

Lot of the big smiths (or customizers or whatever) prefer either Caspian, Colt, or Springfield guns so that's sorta a clue.

My second recommendation is this: Pick each part carefully and put it together even more carefully. I ruined very few parts in my build (a slide stop and thumb safety), but the ones I did ruin, I ruined on account of failing to do my due diligence.

You're ahead of the curve that I started. It's not hard if you do your homework and take your time. Honestly. I seriously built my gun without having ever disassembled (read: field or detail stripped) a 1911 pattern pistol of any sort. Yet my gun has not exploded (although it's only been 2,000 rounds so we'll see I guess). I had no more armorer or gunsmith experience that what was required to put in a trigger bar connector in my glock.

FREAKING DISCLAIMER: I bought and built a Caspian. This probably biases me slightly in that direction.

Serpico85 did this in a phenomenal thread at 1911forum.com
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Serpico85 did this in a phenomenal thread at 1911forum.com
    That was a pretty awesome thread.

And...just a fair warning. There is a series of lengthy Youtube videos posted by some guy who sounds like he knows what he's doing. He doesn't. Don't watch them. It pretty much detailed how a guy turned his gun into an expensive paperweight.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Link? Or hint? Because I want to watch that.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Two thoughts:

1) When I did that, I found Jerry Khnhausen's books helpful.

2) Make a budget of all the tools and parts you want, then add about 50%.

My advice -

Measure EVERYTHING. EVERY SINGLE THING and compare it with what it should be.

Sketch out your plan.

Your tools should cost more than your first build.

Measure, plan, sketch out everything you are going to do.

Understand what requires machine tools to do. You can't true things without lathes and mills. Simple as that.

Never assume anything is straight or true.

Above goes for 1911s, SIGs, Berettas, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Link? Or hint? Because I want to watch that.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    No idea but recommend reading this. Serpico1985 is a forum member here as well.
    #RESIST

User Tag List