Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's the no lock?

Site Supporter

So what's the no lock?

I feel like a total idiot even asking, but what is it, and is there any particular reason people prefer a "no lock" revolver to their contemporaries? I haven't had the chance to shoot a gun with the lock, but is there really that much of a difference or are there other concerns aside from trigger pull (like safety, reliability etc...)?

That question will open up a can of worms. Very short answer: there are some documented (and publicized) instances of the lock engaging under recoil and locking up the gun, pertaining to S&W revolvers. I am given to understand that some PDs have expressly de-authorized lock guns as OD/BUG, leading to S&W doing runs of 442/642/whatever in older no-lock form.

I am one who will not own a lock gun. Folks here will likely split on that issue.

Grab some popcorn and wait for more informed opinions.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I've changed my views slightly since I wrote this post, but I remain convinced that the lock worries are vastly overblown on the internet. In years of working at an indoor range, I saw one lock itself: A Model 357PD firing heavy loads. (Corbon, IIRC.)

FWIW, the 432PD I carried for years has the lock. I presume the lock works, although I'll never turn it to find out.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The guns most susceptible to self-actuation and most prevalent in trouble reports are the lightest models (scandiums, etc) shooting harshest ammo. Problem potential remains for the rest, but there's surely some internet at work as well. Still, a small selection of new lock-less models remain available, so there's little reason to take the chance if you don't have to. And one can always disable the lock.

Mechanics aside, I also dislike the lock for the added variable an owner must process. Especially the LCD owner.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-14-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

On more than one occasion I have watched an officer's BUG lock-up during quals--color me unimpressed with integral locks on firearms...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The annoying thing about it is that any issues are caused by a fairly glaring design flaw.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A lock gun has an internal mechanism that disables the gun when the user inserts and turns a key.

Site Supporter
    Okay, yeah the lock sounds like a fairly bad idea. Is there any way to disable or remove the locking device? Or is the general consensus to just look for a no-lock snubby or LCR?

In terms of trigger function - As near as I can tell, the lock makes absolutely no difference regarding the quality of the trigger pull. It may cause some reliability issues. It is not a difficult device to remove/deactivate/etc. A lot of folks object to the lock on a political basis, viewing internal locks as, without putting words in their mouths per se, the reflection of the Nanny State, because of their origin. I cannot honestly remember the whole origin myth of the lock. I have guns with and without locks and the pre-lock guns are more finely machined and appear to be better built, but many of the post-lock guns are excellent firearms. My lock equipped guns have the locks disabled.

-Rob

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is there any way to disable or remove the locking device?
    The 340 Pd thread in the revolver section has some discussion in it on removing the lock and what to watch out for.

User Tag List