Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I just bought 100 Underwood 147+P coated hard cast to try in the Mayhem barrels and comps in the G19 field pistols.
    I look forward to your option of them.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Even if they made that claim, we could bring in the Schwartz to debunk it!
    My hourly rates are very affordable.

Especially if your butt is in the sling.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

As a possible deeper penetrating alternative to the Lehigh bullets, I ordered 100 rounds of the Underwood 147+P — FLAT NOSE HI-TEK COATED HARD CAST HUNTING AMMO.

They are less expensive than the penetrators and theoretically should penetrate better. I am only thru 40 rounds, shot in a Gen 4 and 5 19 with a Mayhem Syndicate barrel and comp. In both pistols, at 20 yards this ammo printed to the same POI as Gold Dot 124+P and the Lehigh penetrators. Accuracy was good. I tried to limp wrist, support hand in both pistols and couldn’t induce a stoppage. Same for my wife. This load shows promise.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As a possible deeper penetrating alternative to the Lehigh bullets, I ordered 100 rounds of the Underwood 147+P — FLAT NOSE HI-TEK COATED HARD CAST HUNTING AMMO.

They are less expensive than the penetrators and theoretically should penetrate better. I am only thru 40 rounds, shot in a Gen 4 and 5 19 with a Mayhem Syndicate barrel and comp. In both pistols, at 20 yards this ammo printed to the same POI as Gold Dot 124+P and the Lehigh penetrators. Accuracy was good. I tried to limp wrist, support hand in both pistols and couldn’t induce a stoppage. Same for my wife. This load shows promise.
    I have a stash of that stuff, and was happy with its accuracy and handling from G26 and G19. It's my 'hiking load' for the (rather rare) occasion I get out in the mountains.

I just checked and I only have chrono data from a G26:
    51 degrees, clouds/drizzle
    Shooting Chrony F1 @10’ from muzzle
    High 1090
    Low 1054
    Avg 1070
    ES 36
    SD 12

For bear defense, maximum penetration depth does not seem to be the main requirement. All we need is a bullet that penetrates the skull without deflection, and goes far enough afterward to stop the animal.

9mm Lehigh/Underwood 115xp +p+ chronos at 1300fps from my P-07. I’m sticking with it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    For bear defense, maximum penetration depth does not seem to be the main requirement. All we need is a bullet that penetrates the skull without deflection, and goes far enough afterward to stop the animal.

9mm Lehigh/Underwood 115xp +p+ chronos at 1300fps from my P-07. I’m sticking with it.
    Yeah, for the smaller bears I'm likely to run into in western WA, I'd expect my usual 124+P Gold Dot or HST would do the job anyway. Likewise mountain lions.. Really, the Underwood hard cast was just an excuse to buy more ammo!

ETA: I have some of the Underwood 115+P XP, too. Might load a mag with either one if heading far outdoors.

Both have to hit...

I haven't shot as many as @GJM, but have shot a few through G19/45 length barrels. Both the 115 and the 147 seemed close enough on a 15 yard B8. Stating the obvious perhaps, but one still has to hit the target, probably repeatedly. The encounters I've read about involving handguns and bears were very close-under 7 yards if I'm recalling correctly, with multiple hits required. May try a "5x5" drill: 5 rounds into 5 inches at 5 yards under 5 seconds. Most everyone here could pull that off I think.
    I have a small supply of both; if forced to choose, I would gravitate toward the 147. But I wouldn't feel helpless with the 115 +P+s...

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I haven't shot as many as @GJM, but have shot a few through G19/45 length barrels. Both the 115 and the 147 seemed close enough on a 15 yard B8. Stating the obvious perhaps, but one still has to hit the target, probably repeatedly. The encounters I've read about involving handguns and bears were very close-under 7 yards if I'm recalling correctly, with multiple hits required. May try a "5x5" drill: 5 rounds into 5 inches at 5 yards under 5 seconds. Most everyone here could pull that off I think.
    I have a small supply of both; if forced to choose, I would gravitate toward the 147. But I wouldn't feel helpless with the 115 +P+s...
    You are being optimistic. A grizzly can supposedly reach 35 mph in a sprint. If my math is right, that works out to 17 yards a second. Five seconds may be generous!

What drew me to the Lehigh penetrator was reliability in a number of different platforms. Function is no doubt enhanced by the FMJ profile of this bullet. After reliability, the monolithic construction was next on my list.

Historically, flat point hard cast bullets at velocities above 1,000 fps, have penetrated and killed well in the hunting fields. The issue was those bullets didn't always function well in semi auto pistols. If they did function, I would bet on them to out penetrate the rounder profile Lehigh bullets. Based on my initial testing, I plan to buy a few hundred and continue reliability testing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I will take your word on it and your math calculations sir-you have the experiences!
    It is interesting that physics, etc. don't really change. I am a casual small game shooter, but the combination of big, heavy, lead flat nose rounds have been around since at least the 19th century, so something positive is going on there.
    I'll look forward to your reports on testing-thank you again for your work.
    Just tossing a thought on a drill: from a ready, 1 round 1second at 5, 2 rounds in 2 seconds at 7, all on a B8.

In my clear gel testing, the Underwood 147gr hard cast out penetrated the Lehigh XP by a decent amount.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List