Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Thread resurrection.

In my Glocks the 115gr. +P+ Penetrators run great with zero issues.

In my Wilson Commander 9mm the Penetrators spit the primers out almost as far as the empty casings go.
    Out of 11 rounds shot, 9 of them blew out the primers.

I'm guessing a tighter chamber and/or shorter lead is squeezing every last PSI out of them to the point of over pressure.

I'll save the +P+ Underwood for my Glocks, blowing primers 90% of the time isn't worth messing around with.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Thread resurrection.

In my Wilson Commander 9mm the Penetrators spit the primers out almost as far as the empty casings go.

I'm guessing a tighter chamber and/or shorter lead is squeezing every last PSI out of them to the point of over pressure.

I'll save the +P+ Underwood for my Glocks, blowing primers 90% of the time isn't worth messing around with.
    Well, that's not good! Blown primers in a pistol a pretty good sign to not use those in that gun. Is the brass deformed? I once had a kaboom in a .40 1911, and wouldn't recommend the experience.

Quick question: after the first blown primer, why the fuck did you fire another one?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Well, that's not good! Blown primers in a pistol a pretty good sign to not use those in that gun. Is the brass deformed? I once had a kaboom in a .40 1911, and wouldn't recommend the experience.

Quick question: after the first blown primer, why the fuck did you fire another one?
    Brass looks normal, real easy to prep for reloading as well if I was into that kind of thing.

About 3/4 of the way through the magazine I thought I was seeing something weird ejecting along with the brass.
    I'd see brass fly out to the right and something smaller fly straight up.
    Of course I had to shoot another couple rounds to verify... the recoil impulses all felt normal and the pistol cycled normally so I wasn't that concerned.
    It was only when I started looking around for what was flying out that I noticed the primerless casings.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thread resurrection.
    I don't know if it could happen in 9 rounds but you might want to examine the breech face of that gun for pitting or other signs of gas cutting.

Thread resurrection.

I fired half a box of Underwood 10mm loads and realized it had self-depriming brass. Bug not a feature?

Either way I pulled down the other 10 rounds and decided to never do that again.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I fired half a box of Underwood 10mm loads and realized it had self-depriming brass. Bug not a feature?

Either way I pulled down the other 10 rounds and decided to never do that again.
    In what gun?

Won’t loose primers typically happen with light charges? Heavy charges will typically flatten the primers against the breech face right? I would think that would further seat the primer, not wrench it loose?

Sounds like DoubleTap needs to check their primer pockets with a go-no go gauge and maybe change primer sources. We know not all primers are created equal (in size or quality).

Overpressure loads can vent through the primer pocket, deform it, and blow it out. I've never had that happen in a pistol though.

I'd want to know why the Wilson does this, while a Glock doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    In what gun?
    Glock 20. Stock everything but the sights and the skateboard tape.

Not to be a dick*, but "what gun" shouldn't matter. Ammo should not de-prime upon firing if it is fired in a properly made firearm in good repair.

(*Does starting a sentence with "not to be a dick" lessen or increase the chance you'll be perceived as a dick? Is it like talking to your wife and starting a sentence with "Now, don't get mad but...")
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

@Lester Polfus , agreed. And not (too) dickish. Pushing the limits of a caliber is risky, and a lot of the companies doing it don’t seem to care as long as people are buying.

User Tag List