Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Elk are basically a big deer. Larger, maybe a bit thicker skulls, but not as heavy bone wise, as a bear skull. But I've never shot a bear, and only seen their skulls in displays, so I'd defer to GJM on that matter. I'll be honest and say that I'm surprised that .45 bullet didn't penetrate more, and just keep going. But I think it just proves the saying that rifles tear shit up, and handguns poke holes in things.

"The one thing that's consistent when it comes to shooting real live critters is how inconsistently bullets perform. " -- There is much truth in this statement.

I've seen a mule deer shot with a 250gr Nosler Partition Gold bullet from a .338WM run 1/4 mile or more down a canyon. Following it up we found a large pile of organs and intestines where the deer turned around some brush, and they apparently spilled out... the 6-8" hole in the off side. It was a quartering-to shot that was a bit far back, and IIRC, only got one lung. How it ever made it that far, I have no idea. That deer just didn't want to die. My buddy found a lucky rabbits foot within a couple feet of where his deer finally fell. I think he still has it.

On the other hand I've had some deer and antelope that took a 62gr Gold Dot to the boiler room that acted like they were hit with a far larger caliber. Dead within feet of where I shot them.

Necrobump to see if anyone has experience with the 9mm stuff; I assume reliability is boringly positive given the design but figured I'd put it out there for the good of the order.

I've considered buying a G23 as a lower 48 "field gun" to complement all my G19 shit but I really have no use for another field gun (or the 23) as my .45 LC Blackhawk is too much fun and I don't plan on any AK trips yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post

"The one thing that's consistent when it comes to shooting real live critters is how inconsistently bullets perform. " -- There is much truth in this statement.
    Major factor. I have seen a broadhead all but amputate a blacktail's offside leg after going through lungs and the front shoulder and the deer still attempted to feed for about three seconds, nature doesn't give a shit.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 12-22-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Necrobump to see if anyone has experience with the 9mm stuff; I assume reliability is boringly positive given the design but figured I'd put it out there for the good of the order.

I've considered buying a G23 as a lower 48 "field gun" to complement all my G19 shit but I really have no use for another field gun (or the 23) as my .45 LC Blackhawk is too much fun and I don't plan on any AK trips yet.

Major factor. I have seen a broadhead all but amputate a blacktail's offside leg after going through lungs and the front shoulder and the deer still attempted to feed for about three seconds, nature doesn't give a shit.
    The Underwood Lehigh has been reliable in multiple different 9mm pistols, and reliable in every pistol of every caliber I have tried it in.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    BHA's loading, various Glocks with OEM and some KKM barrels. All GTG. http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-...mmo/9mm-luger/
    Last edited by ST911; 12-23-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I've started to carry the Black-Hills 125gr. Lehigh in my Kahr PM9 (and the Underwood 90gr. load in my CW380).
    Not because I believe in the VooDoo of hydraulic displacement being a real wounding factor, but because I do believe in straight line penetration over expansion for certain situations.
    The PM9/CW380 are my pocket carry for around the house, yard, neighborhood.
    The highest probability for its use by far would be to shoot a dog that's trying to get to me or the dog i'm walking.
    From my research the Lehigh design penetrates and resists deflection better than pretty much anything else.
    When the switch flips to people being the primary threat it's back to Black-Hills Tac-XP+P in the VP9SK (often with a pocket carried Kahr BUG).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

This is pretty much what I have settled on as well. We can never predict the future but if out hiking, in deeper woods I have my G19 stoked with underwood 115g +p+ with a mag of 147g HST for when I’m back nearer civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    BHA's loading, various Glocks with OEM and some KKM barrels. All GTG. http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-...mmo/9mm-luger/
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I've started to carry the Black-Hills 125gr. Lehigh in my Kahr PM9 (and the Underwood 90gr. load in my CW380).
    Not because I believe in the VooDoo of hydraulic displacement being a real wounding factor, but because I do believe in straight line penetration over expansion for certain situations.
    The PM9/CW380 are my pocket carry for around the house, yard, neighborhood.
    The highest probability for its use by far would be to shoot a dog that's trying to get to me or the dog i'm walking.
    From my research the Lehigh design penetrates and resists deflection better than pretty much anything else.
    When the switch flips to people being the primary threat it's back to Black-Hills Tac-XP+P in the VP9SK (often with a pocket carried Kahr BUG).
    Is the 125 BH Honey Badger load the Lehigh xtreme penetrator bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is the 125 BH Honey Badger load the Lehigh xtreme penetrator bullet?
    No, it appears to be a heavier version of the defense load, almost a heavy hybrid defense/penetrator.
    It has sharper, deeper nose flutes than the penetrators but more weight than any of the Underwood offerings.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-23-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    No, it appears to be a heavier version of the defense load, almost a heavy hybrid defense/penetrator.
    It has sharper, deeper nose flutes than the penetrators but more weight than any of the Underwood offerings.
    Thanks. Seems to have less velocity than the pure penetrator loads.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thanks. Seems to have less velocity than the pure penetrator loads.
    If I get the chance tomorrow I'll chrono both out of a P30 and out of my PM9.

User Tag List