Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

I would think that maybe people who jog in bear country would be particularly interested?

We have not tested the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator. We did test the Devel--nothing special or magical.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We did test the Devel--nothing special or magical.

How disappointing, it was an interesting round only if it was giving the same performance as expanding bullets through a different mechanism. However even if the Gell tests had been positive I would wonder if the behavior of the Gell under such a rotating carving motion, was a good stimulant for flesh. I mean, if the mechanism is in-fact a new one then it is possible that a different sort of stimulant would be needed to model it correctly.

I hope these loads pan out. For purposes calling for plenty of penetration their testing results look like many of their loads do have that going for them, without the rounded point of a typical FMJ.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

TWANGnBANG goes to Lehigh Defense to see a Gel test of their ammo.
    Here is the Youtube video: 357 MAG Xtreme Penetrator! Lehigh Defense 140gr XP

Here is a different product which appears to work on the same principles

http://polycaseammo.com/arx/

Patent Pending Design. Dynamically transfers both rotational and directional energy for rapid energy transfer to target.

Engineered fluid dynamics Creates maximum hydrodynamic ram (hram) upon penetrating fluid-filled targets, reducing risk of over-penetration.

Non-expanding. The precisely engineered design of the ARX™ bullet does not rely on expansion, but hydraulic force to transfer terminal energy and will not clog with clothing.

Precise. Polycase Cu/P™ ARX™ bullets deliver exceptional accuracy.

High velocity. Lighter bullet achieves higher velocity and develops less recoil for quicker follow up shots.

Advanced Materials. Designed to perform in a wide range of conditions.

Frangible. Lead-free, frangible design is 100% compatible with indoor ranges and reduces risk of ricochet.

Currently available in 9mm Luger and .380 auto. Coming soon in .40 S&W and .45 auto.

Name:  PolyCase-Ammunition-ARX-Ammunition.jpg
Views: 3894
Size:  15.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We have not tested the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator. We did test the Devel--nothing special or magical.
    Can you clarify what you mean by "nothing special or magical?" Specifically, what's the deal with this?

The precisely engineered design of the ARX™ bullet does not rely on expansion, but hydraulic force to transfer terminal energy and will not clog with clothing.
    Both the Lehigh and the ARX stuff that nycnoob posted (and, I assume, the Devel stuff as well -- all three rounds appear to be similar in construction) make mention of hydraulic something or other in their press stuff. Is this junk science wrapped in big words or is there something to it?

To my uneducated eye, the wound tracks in gel look pretty decent for a round that isn't expanding. They appear to be much larger than the diameter of the bullet, as seen in this ShootingTheBull410 video. That combined with the round's penetration makes it look like a viable choice, especially in a marginal round like .380.

Ammo Quest: Polycase ARX Inceptor test in .380 ACP and 9mm

TTAG has a full transcript for those who do not wish to watch the whole thing but prefer to read the transcript

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...0-acp-and-9mm/

This is the conclusion:
    Finally, while I am giving high praise to Polycase for blowing my mind in showing that a light and fast bullet can accomplish what I normally expect from a slow and heavy bullet, I confess to being a little uneasy about just how light the bullets are. The lighter the bullet, generally the more susceptible to deflection it will be, whether off of a bone or, bizarrely enough, just through gel or tissue itself. To me, that’s not a desirable trait, and I am not entirely convinced as to how these lightweight bullets will do when faced with having to penetrate through a forearm to get to the chest of the bad guy, where they’ll then have to get through a rib or sternum. They may do fine, but history and big-game hunters have taught us that big, solid, heavy bullets do best at that job done.

Overall I am very impressed with the Polycase Inceptor performance; far more impressed than I thought I was going to be. This ammo really is quite different from most any other bullet I’ve tested, and it delivered very good performance from the .380, and excellent performance from the 9mm. And, it seems to be that rarest of all bullets, one that can appeal to both the “light & fast” proponents and also do the type of tangible damage that will appeal to the “slow & heavy” proponents. And it does so with a new type of bullet, which is lead-free to boot. This is a really impressive debut for Polycase, and I look forward to trying out their ammo in other calibers to see how they perform.

Not to hijack the thread but Ammo Quest's use of the term "damage track" is misleading and suggests the disruption produced by temporary cavitation in gelatin (the cracks) represents permanent soft tissue damage (i.e., permanent cavity). This is a common mistake of YouTube experts not having the requisite depth of knowledge to properly interpret and discuss test results observed in various soft tissue simulants.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but Ammo Quest's use of the term "damage track" is misleading and suggests the disruption produced by temporary cavitation in gelatin (the cracks) represents permanent soft tissue damage (i.e., permanent cavity). This is a common mistake of YouTube experts not having the requisite depth of knowledge to properly interpret and discuss test results observed in various soft tissue simulants.
    Agreed
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List