Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

The BB 147 hardcast repeatedly choked my G5G17 even though it runs fine in my G3G26. I'm thinking it's the tighter chamber.

My experience is hard cast and wide meplat bullets are not conducive to reliability in service pistols generally, and Glock pistols specifically. This is based on years of frustration with some thousands of rounds of hard cast in different pistols, where I would think I was fine and then encounter issues. Interestingly, I have never had a stoppage with a Lehigh Penetrator bullet load in any caliber or any pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I agree with GJM. The hardcast did not work in my G20. Lehigh XP were 100% in G20 G43, and P07.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My experience is hard cast and wide meplat bullets are not conducive to reliability in service pistols generally, and Glock pistols specifically. This is based on years of frustration with some thousands of rounds of hard cast in different pistols, where I would think I was fine and then encounter issues. Interestingly, I have never had a stoppage with a Lehigh Penetrator bullet load in any caliber or any pistol.
    My recollection is you were running truncated cone flat point FMJ in .45 Super in the USP .45 prior to changing to Lehigh. Did you actually have any issues with them functioning, or was it concern that they might for the first time at the wrong time, or concern about holding together and penetrating? Or did Lehigh just seem less likely to have any of those issues based on your all-around experience?

Hornady made some in the past, but the only currently-available 230gr FMJ FP I can find are the Noslers, and they aren't advertised as being bonded.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My recollection is you were running truncated cone flat point FMJ in .45 Super in the USP .45 prior to changing to Lehigh. Did you actually have any issues with them functioning, or was it concern that they might for the first time at the wrong time, or concern about holding together and penetrating? Or did Lehigh just seem less likely to have any of those issues based on your all-around experience?

Hornady made some in the past, but the only currently-available 230gr FMJ FP I can find are the Noslers, and they aren't advertised as being bonded.
    Multiple people had issues with hard cast in the Super, so I ruled that out. I couldn’t get info on the construction of the B.B. FMJ bullet, so went to the Lehigh.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’d definitely be interested in seeing some of those Cutting Edge bullets in front of a heavy load of Silhouette running through a USP.
    Not another dime.

If the warning and body shots fail to dissuade the bear, and you have a determined bear still coming at you, the most reliable way to stop the attack is to penetrate the bear’s skull and hit their brain. Assuming your marksmanship is good, it gets down to whether your bullet can penetrate the skull and reach the brain — that is a pass/fail scenario. For those of us that live and recreate around grizzly bears, trying to understand what bullet will or will not penetrate the skull is more than just a theoretical concern.
    The world needs a grizzly bear skull simulant. It should be called the "bear gel" test.

Not another dime.

Did a search on the thread and didn't see it come up.

tntoutdoors tested it in 9mm. He criticizes it heavily for the extended penetration, but he is clearly not imagining George's use for it, where that's an asset.

One thing that's goofy is the machining of these projectiles from bar stock. They should be pure copper, to avoid being classified as armor-piercing ammunition, which means they should also be soft enough to be quite easily forged. There would be some tooling cost, but they could be slammed out like a sewing machine cycling on the right equipment and bring either the cost per round way down or the profit way up. The downside of small business...

Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-04-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    One thing that's goofy is the machining of these projectiles from bar stock. They should be pure copper, to avoid being classified as armor-piercing ammunition, which means they should also be soft enough to be quite easily forged. There would be some tooling cost, but they could be slammed out like a sewing machine cycling on the right equipment and bring either the cost per round way down or the profit way up. The downside of small business...
    This should give some idea of what's possible (they're running more complex parts from steel). Run it with pure annealed copper, and you'd likely be able to turn the speed up to 11, where it would be difficult to see things move:

Not another dime.

I have converted to the Underwood Extreme Penetrator load for all semi-auto field use, and have a supply of this ammo in 9, .40, 45 +P and .45 Super. Running the +P in the HK45C and the Super in the USP FS.
    Underwood has an "AMMO ID SECTION" on its website.

The 10mm Xtreme Penetrator is recommended for medium, large, and dangerous game.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...=7865928056889

The 45 Super Xtreme Penetrator lacks the dangerous game usage symbol.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865933267001

Perhaps Underwood knows something we don't, or maybe there is a LOT more interest in the 10mm Auto cartridge for bear defense.

I think it is mostly marketing hype.

This loading also lacks the dangerous game usage symbol.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865928155193
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 10-05-2018 at 06:02 PM.

User Tag List