Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Just do water....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I don’t have a USP 45... but will a Smith 625-2 safely shoot 45 Super?
    I wish I could help you, but I'd do a LOT of research before I tried it. I'm pretty certain that the frame and barrel would handle it just fine, it's the cylinder that's the weak point. The cylinder stop notches are right in the center of the chambers, which leaves a very thin chamber wall at that point in .45 caliber. Ruger's notches are offset between chambers giving them a much thicker cross section of steel. The Super brass is thicker in the web but it's still just brass.

I have a friend that converted his 625 to .460 Rowland and I've contemplated doing the same. You may be fine but be careful.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 08-26-2018 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I did a bunch of searching this afternoon. Can’t find any tests of the Lehigh bullet through auto glass into gel.

If anyone finds that information I think it would be really helpful.

I did learn that auto glass is an outstanding bullet barrier that FMJ rounds struggle with and well designed JHP rounds barely get adequate (12”) penetration with in most cases (I was looking at 9mm tests.) In other words, like the good Doc says it is a really good model for skull bone.

For a bear skull I think much more than 12” of penetration after auto glass barrier would be desirable.

Here's some barrier tests for Underwood ammo. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...treme+defender
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Here's some barrier tests for Underwood ammo. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...treme+defender
    I appreciate the link with a list of gel tests, but those are generally irrelevant to this discussion.

I have yet to find a windshield barrier test into gel for the Lehigh Xtreme -penetrator- bullet. If you see one there, let us know.

I appreciate the link with a list of gel tests, but those are generally irrelevant to this discussion.

I have yet to find a windshield barrier test into gel for the Lehigh Xtreme -penetrator- bullet. If you see one there, let us know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_1zXdDf4Y&t=375s
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

I did a bunch of searching this afternoon. Can’t find any tests of the Lehigh bullet through auto glass into gel.

If anyone finds that information I think it would be really helpful.

I did learn that auto glass is an outstanding bullet barrier that FMJ rounds struggle with and well designed JHP rounds barely get adequate (12”) penetration with in most cases (I was looking at 9mm tests.) In other words, like the good Doc says it is a really good model for skull bone.

For a bear skull I think much more than 12” of penetration after auto glass barrier would be desirable.
    I figure if the windshield represents the bone challenge, once defeated, it's brain, and 12 inches of gel would be a lot of brain.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Three different Lehigh loads, Hornady Critical Duty, and Federal HST tested through auto glass.

Xtreme Penetrator begins at 2:40
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0NTjd-Cx0I

From https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...eme-penetrator

Inches of penetration into FBI standard 10% ballistics gelatin after 4 layers of denim

44 Remington Magnum 220gr Xtreme Penetrator @ 1,200 FPS...32.0 inches
    45 Colt 250gr 30,000 PSI High Pressure Load @1,100 FPS........32.0 inches
    9mm Luger 115gr @ 1,150 FPS............................................30+ inches
    45 Colt 250gr @ 850 FPS............................................... ....28.0 inches
    44 Special 220gr @750 FPS............................................... .27.5 inches
    45 ACP +P 200gr @950 FPS............................................... .27.0 inches
    357 Mag 140gr @ 1,250 FPS from 4" barrel............................27.0 inches
    357 SIG 115gr @ 1,325 FPS............................................... 27.0 inches
    10mm Auto 140gr @ 1,200 FPS...........................................26.0 inches
    40 S&W 140gr @ 1,050 FPS............................................... .21.5 inches
    38 Special +P 140gr @ 850 FPS...........................................17.0 inches
    380 Auto 90gr Xtreme Penetrator @ 950 FPS.........................17.0 inches

Hammertime

Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I figure if the windshield represents the bone challenge, once defeated, it's brain, and 12 inches of gel would be a lot of brain.
    Then we should just be using cartridges from @DocGKR ‘s recommended JHP list and move on with life as they all pretty much do that.

Edited to add: it is all well and good if you hit the brain. The Iraq bet video convinced me plain old HST will work just fine. For a skull/brain hit.

If we miss the brain, then the greatest penetration possible is desirable and the HST seems a lot sadder sitting only 12” into a bear’s soft tissue.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 08-26-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Then we should just be using cartridges from @DocGKR ‘s recommended JHP list and move on with life as they all pretty much do that.

Edited to add: it is all well and good if you hit the brain. The Iraq bet video convinced me plain old HST will work just fine. For a skull/brain hit.

If we miss the brain, then the greatest penetration possible is desirable and the HST seems a lot sadder sitting only 12” into a bear’s soft tissue.
    I haven't done it but I believe bonded JHPs would do it. (re Alaska Trooper testing of service pistol calibers I read of 20 years ago but cannot find anymore)
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List