Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Does she value reliability or penetration more?
    She's a gun noob- thus the Glasers- but willing to learn. But, I'd think that reliability first with good penetration would be the way to go.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My G42 is loaded with Underwood 90gr. +P Penetrators because if I were to need my pocket carry G42 there's about a 95% chance it would be on a feral dog and the bullet design seems to be the best option for penetrating a hard, sloped surface like a straight on shot into a Pit's skull.
    I've also found them to be 100% reliable in both my G42 and my P380.

I'm about to take off on a week long backcountry dual-sport motorcycle ride (doing the southern Rockies part of the Continental Divide).
    I'll be carrying a Glock 19X loaded with Underwood 115gr. +P+ Penetrators, again mainly for defense against hard skulled critters and miscreants in vehicles.
    For some reason dogs and pickup driving idiots like to mess with people on motorcycles (especially when you're solo in the middle of nowhere).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Funny this came up- a friend of mine asked me to clean her Glock 42, and she had a load of .380 Glasers in the mag.

I mentioned she needed better ammo- what's better? Extreme Penetrators or BB hardcast flatpoints?
    Just about anything would be better, of course. I can’t believe she’s run enough of the Glasers to know if it will actually run in her gun.

Hornady XTP runs in ours, and seems to work in gel. Round nose FMJ works in both of ours, as you would expect, but the flat nose FMJ Winchester uses doesn’t run in one of them - I get pretty consistent feedramp hangups where the flat hits the bottom edge of the feedramp and stops.

Round nose FMJ that runs beats anything that won’t, so all our spare mags are loaded with that, and the two “in the gun” mags are loaded with XTP.
    Last edited by Duelist; 07-07-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Just about anything would be better, of course. I can’t believe she’s run enough of the Glasers to know if it will actually run in her gun.
    Actually, I don't think she's ever shot that gun. She's a widow, and asked me to clean it for her. That thing was so dry that I could hardly get the slide back, and she was surprised that there wasn't a round in the chamber- which could have made for a rather awkward click.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Actually, I don't think she's ever shot that gun. She's a widow, and asked me to clean it for her. That thing was so dry that I could hardly get the slide back, and she was surprised that there wasn't a round in the chamber- which could have made for a rather awkward click.

Funny this came up- a friend of mine asked me to clean her Glock 42, and she had a load of .380 Glasers in the mag.

I mentioned she needed better ammo- what's better? Extreme Penetrators or BB hardcast flatpoints?
    Hornady XTPs
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I should be able to snag a box at one of the local shops this week.

Site Supporter
    I should be able to snag a box at one of the local shops this week.
    If you can't find an XTP loading, Federal Hydra-Shok are also OK.

Federal has a rebate now.

They are on sale at Target Sports USA right now, and with the rebate, come out to $.35/round.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...s1h-p-975.aspx

Yet another "gun-as-talisman" gun owner.

I suppose that it's good that such a person, as an initial step, has gone so far as to actually acquire a firearm at all, but to be so naive as to then apparently imagine that it will somehow "protect her", absent any experience, practice, maintenance or study on her part, seems hard to believe.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

If you're okay with a smaller company loading I've had excellent luck with Precision One's XTP loadings. I've shot about 500 rounds of both the +P version and the standard pressure stuff in .380 ACP, (250 rounds of each in +P and std pressure). It shoots clean, accurate and reliable as far as I've experienced. I've run about 75 rounds through an LCP, (standard pressure) the other 425 were through a G42. It can be bought in bulk, and is good alternative if you can't find factory Hornady loaded stuff. Fiocchi extrema used to also be available with an XTP projectile in 50 round boxes. Not sure if they're still made though.

User Tag List