Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Lester Polfus , agreed. And not (too) dickish. Pushing the limits of a caliber is risky, and a lot of the companies doing it don’t seem to care as long as people are buying.
    Plus, how many people in the general shooting public actually shoot the expensive carry ammo in their 10mm's on a regular basis?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Overpressure loads can vent through the primer pocket, deform it, and blow it out. I've never had that happen in a pistol though.

I'd want to know why the Wilson does this, while a Glock doesn't.
    Hmm, I think Jody might be right - maybe the chamber is on the shorter side and DT is loading the cartridges on the longer side? Could perhaps be causing bullet setback?

Edit sorry - these are Underwoods not Doubletaps. Same basic idea - let’s load ammo super hot.

Edit 2.0: Nah, I doubt it is setback, at least from a tight/short chamber. The Lehigh factory loads are apparently 7.3 grains of Accurate No. 7, with a COAL of 1.10” with the 115-grain penetrator. That’s a pretty damn hot load though. If there was any more setback, it wouldn’t be great news.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-04-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

I loaded the same load (7gr #7) and had no pressure signs in a G43 and P-07. I don’t think setback is possible. No room.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I'd want to know why the Wilson does this, while a Glock doesn't.
    I would wager a dollar on the Glock chamber being looser than the Wilson chamber... particularly the throat dimensions. Pure speculation on my part, mostly. In any event... +P++ stuff really doesn't have a whole lot of performance gains, that the risk of blowing up a gun becomes worth the squeeze, IMHO.

But 'merica and horsepower and weeeee all factor in when folks buy ammo sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Thread resurrection.

In my Glocks the 115gr. +P+ Penetrators run great with zero issues.

In my Wilson Commander 9mm the Penetrators spit the primers out almost as far as the empty casings go.
    Out of 11 rounds shot, 9 of them blew out the primers.

I'm guessing a tighter chamber and/or shorter lead is squeezing every last PSI out of them to the point of over pressure.

I'll save the +P+ Underwood for my Glocks, blowing primers 90% of the time isn't worth messing around with.
    Bullet is grooved and even with light case mouth crimp setback is pretty unlikely.
    Bullet is long for weight.
    WC almost certainly has a tighter chamber and shorter leade.
    Bullet may be long enough and profiled to contact rifling in the WC.
    That's a fast round, but it's been done before by others. I'd be curious what the SD/ES are.
    Your Glock is probably a gen4 or earlier?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

This happened to me recently when i was chronograph/accuracy testing a variety of 10mm ammo. Double Tap 200 gr hard cast was spitting primers in my Gen4 G20 with a comped KKM barrel ( Faux-land Special set up). Same ammo with the factory Glock barrel and in a P220 10mm and XDm 5.25 didn't cause any issues. The Underwood 200 gr hard cast I was shooting that day as well didn't have any blown primers and was running a tad faster than the Double Tap. For whatever reason, the Glock kkm combo and Double Tap 200 gr didn't get along.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Underwood is putting more than 7gr of #7 in their 9mm XP +p+. Here are my chrono numbers (all in a CZ P-07):

My handholds: Lehigh XP 9mm COL 1.100” 7.0 gr AA#7: 1165fps sd7

Factory Underwood Lehigh +p+: 1308fps

Of course that's still slower than the Major 9 loads (> 1434 fps) the Open shooters are running, without blown primers. I guess the Underwood load might make 165 power factor in a 5" gun.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

My criteria for a field pistol and load start and end with reliability. I never even considered a +P+ load as it seems further out the center of the reliability envelope.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Dragged this one up from the depths....

Lots of good info here.

Cutting Edge 200gr .45s on the way... I’ll report back. May be a bit as the day job is once again getting in the way. Good news is that I’ll be driving the Gastineau Channel soon on a regular basis...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List