Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

What do you think would make a good bone simulant? I have some .45 200gr Lehigh XP's coming in and I'm going to test them in some clear gel to see what kind of penetration I can get. I would like to try both bare gel and some gel with some kind of "bone" placed in front. I would like to find something cheap and easy to find locally, maybe Petco or Walmart.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    What do you think would make a good bone simulant? I have some .45 200gr Lehigh XP's coming in and I'm going to test them in some clear gel to see what kind of penetration I can get. I would like to try both bare gel and some gel with some kind of "bone" placed in front. I would like to find something cheap and easy to find locally, maybe Petco or Walmart.
    Petco/Petsmart sell a range of different sized beef bones for dogs to chew. Some are pretty massive. Propping things up for a solid hit might take some fiddling.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Petco/Petsmart sell a range of different sized beef bones for dogs to chew. Some are pretty massive. Propping things up for a solid hit might take some fiddling.
    Cooked bone is substantially different than live bone. I'd look to a place like a butcher shop or meat processing place for something like a cow femur.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

In general, projectiles that do well against laminated vehicle windshields also typically work well against bone...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I am still chuckling at something Doc said to me last fall.

I told him that I had shot some 2x4 and 4x4 wood pieces lined up, with the Lehigh bullets, and the bullets penetrated impressively. When I asked him what he thought, knowing I was interested in bear skulls, he told me I could conclude they penetrate 2x4 and 4x4 well.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think in all fields of science (and medicine), "test mediums," are just that...for testing. Whether you're talking skulls or gelatin, anything other than a living, breathing, hairy-assed bear (or a goblin) isn't going to replicate the performance of the projectile on a living being. And even then, the variables that involve the living aren't scientifically replicable (ethically) since nobody/no creature is going to willingly let you Brain them with a bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to get out to the range today with my G20 and the Chrono. Here is what I got from Underwood 10mm Xtreme Penitrator 140gr and my first test batch of reloads using the same bullet.

10mm Underwood Extreme Penetrator 140gr Lehigh
    avg 1469
    high 1507
    low 1432
    extreme spread 75
    S D 30

10mm Extreme Penetrator 140gr Lehigh, 10.0 gr Blue Dot, Starline, Win Large Pistol.
    avg 1144
    high 1169
    low 1102
    extreme spread 67
    S D 25

Both loads had less felt recoil than my normal 180gr FMJ 1116fps practice load but the Underwood had more flash and concussion.

I'm gonna try to bump up the test reloads to 10.5, 11.0 and 11.5 of Blue dot to try to get a little more velocity. I don't need 1470 fps but I would like to get a bit more for some hunting reloads. I may have to build up a GJM style stack-o-lumber for penn tests.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Another possibility is to buy a few boxes of Underwood for carry, and not worry too much about your reloads, as I bet the Lehigh bullets are spendy even when you load them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

But, But, But...Not reload for all things! What heresy is this?

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  20.8 KB

Gotta get rid of all that old Blue Dot somehow.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

While these rounds my function well in terms of reliability, accuracy, and penetration, the question I haven't seen answered is, do they have any advantage in incapacitating a human attacker over the equivalent FMJ round? Would anyone use a Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator, or equivalent from another manufacturer, in a gun chambered for any of the normal duty calibers, over a top tier JHP design for a carry or home defense weapon?

I saw that Doc Roberts has been poking into this thread recently. I'd love to get his opinion on this

User Tag List