Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Down in English Voodoo Baldanders's Avatar
    Has anyone here actually shot a live critter with any of the fluted Leigh,ARX, or silmilar bullets and necro'd the animal? I think I've read this whole thread, don't recall such.
    EXPECT PLEASURE
    KNOWLEDGE IS SEXY
    EXPECT PAIN
    KNOWLEDGE IS TORTURE

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    His observations outside of terminal ballistics usually strike me as more valid than his obervations inside the subject area.

I`ve never understood why he doesn't use rubber bags or something similar for "lung tissue." Probably to hard to obtain locally.

I tried his "break the concrete block evenly bit" with my cw45 recently, and that shit is more difficult than it looks. (I toppled the block on shot three, having blown apart the base.) He's a fine shot. But I didn't throw away my 9mm 147 Ranger T-series ammo, even after his video declared it "crap." That video, and a few others by him, do show that ammo batches vary, sometimes dramatically.

The meat target bits are fun, I just wish he described them that way instead of "definitive." Shooting water-filled jugs of a consistent type every time would be at least a comparable data set.

Hence, my highly scientific "Redneck Ballistic Protocol." 🤡
    Hard to say why he does not use something more suitable (than citrus fruit) for simulating lung tissue; in this day and age, it seems that almost anything can be ordered on the 'net and delivered just about anywhere. Perhaps he uses "definitive" to qualify the "fun" he is having in making his videos?

As for using water as a tissue simulant, you are likely already very much aware of my position on the practice. It's one of two valid terminal ballistic test mediums—the other being 10% ordnance gelatin. The obvious benefit of testing water is that BB validation (for the purpose of confirming correct shear response at low velocity which ultimately dictates maximum depth of penetration) is unnecessary. Water does not support shear, so maximum penetration depth is computed using a modified Poncelet penetration using the average recovered diameter, recovered mass and impact velocity of the test bullet. Accordingly, since maximum penetration depth is not represented in water the only material quality that matters when testing in water is volumetric mass-density which determines the pressure at a given velocity that drives expansion of the bullet; P = ½ρV².

At all reasonable temperatures that water can be used for such testing (33°F — 120°F), the density of water fluctuates from 999.878 kg/m3 @ 33°F — 988.565 kg/m3 @ 120°F, or about 1.131%, so there is negligible difference in its density across the entire temperature range.

If using water bags proves inconvenient, I'd encourage the use of the commonly found ½-gallon, paper-board beverage cartons (such as those used for milk or orange juice that measure 3.75"W x 3.75"L x 9"H) for your tests if you happen to buy anything that comes in them. Their thin paper-board wall construction introduces very little mechanical interference during testing in water.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 11-09-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection. www.quantitativeammunitionselection.com

Thread resurrection.

In my Glocks the 115gr. +P+ Penetrators run great with zero issues.

In my Wilson Commander 9mm the Penetrators spit the primers out almost as far as the empty casings go.
    Out of 11 rounds shot, 9 of them blew out the primers.

I'm guessing a tighter chamber and/or shorter lead is squeezing every last PSI out of them to the point of over pressure.

I'll save the +P+ Underwood for my Glocks, blowing primers 90% of the time isn't worth messing around with.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Thread resurrection.

In my Wilson Commander 9mm the Penetrators spit the primers out almost as far as the empty casings go.

I'm guessing a tighter chamber and/or shorter lead is squeezing every last PSI out of them to the point of over pressure.

I'll save the +P+ Underwood for my Glocks, blowing primers 90% of the time isn't worth messing around with.
    Well, that's not good! Blown primers in a pistol a pretty good sign to not use those in that gun. Is the brass deformed? I once had a kaboom in a .40 1911, and wouldn't recommend the experience.

Quick question: after the first blown primer, why the fuck did you fire another one?
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Well, that's not good! Blown primers in a pistol a pretty good sign to not use those in that gun. Is the brass deformed? I once had a kaboom in a .40 1911, and wouldn't recommend the experience.

Quick question: after the first blown primer, why the fuck did you fire another one?
    Brass looks normal, real easy to prep for reloading as well if I was into that kind of thing.

About 3/4 of the way through the magazine I thought I was seeing something weird ejecting along with the brass.
    I'd see brass fly out to the right and something smaller fly straight up.
    Of course I had to shoot another couple rounds to verify... the recoil impulses all felt normal and the pistol cycled normally so I wasn't that concerned.
    It was only when I started looking around for what was flying out that I noticed the primerless casings.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thread resurrection.
    I don't know if it could happen in 9 rounds but you might want to examine the breech face of that gun for pitting or other signs of gas cutting.

Thread resurrection.

I fired half a box of Underwood 10mm loads and realized it had self-depriming brass. Bug not a feature?

Either way I pulled down the other 10 rounds and decided to never do that again.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I fired half a box of Underwood 10mm loads and realized it had self-depriming brass. Bug not a feature?

Either way I pulled down the other 10 rounds and decided to never do that again.
    In what gun?
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

Junior VP of Enabling RevolverRob's Avatar
    Won’t loose primers typically happen with light charges? Heavy charges will typically flatten the primers against the breech face right? I would think that would further seat the primer, not wrench it loose?

Sounds like DoubleTap needs to check their primer pockets with a go-no go gauge and maybe change primer sources. We know not all primers are created equal (in size or quality).
    "Ladies and Gentlemen take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." - Dr. Sidney Freedman (circa 1953)

User Tag List