Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Underwood has an "AMMO ID SECTION" on its website.

The 10mm Xtreme Penetrator is recommended for medium, large, and dangerous game.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...=7865928056889

The 45 Super Xtreme Penetrator lacks the dangerous game usage symbol.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865933267001

Perhaps Underwood knows something we don't, or maybe there is a LOT more interest in the 10mm Auto cartridge for bear defense.

I think it is mostly marketing hype.

This loading also lacks the dangerous game usage symbol.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865928155193
    Times be changin’ — not that many years ago .45 acp would have been labeled “defense,” and 9mm recommended for children, women or training only.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Times be changin’ — not that many years ago .45 acp would have been labeled “defense,” and 9mm recommended for children, women or training only.
    Yep. Here's an Underwood 9mm Luger MEDIUM GAME loading
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865933234233

Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been since I did the last one. Sorry for taking so long but I finally shot the .40 S&W Underwood 140gr through the gel today using my Sig P229. Two rounds through the bare gel and two through the sheet metal. The two rounds through the bare gel I got 22.5 and 23 inches. The velocity was 1250fps for the first one and 1260fps for the second. Both bullets were recovered base forward. The first bullet appeared to have tumbled at the 7 and 18 inch mark. Rounds one and two through the sheet metal went to 17 and 18.5 inches. I only got velocity from the second bullet and it was 1252fps.

For comparison with the other calibers tried.

.45 Super, max penetration through the bare gel, 23.75 inches and 20.75 through the sheet metal.
    9mm, max through the bare gel was 47.5 inches and 18 inches through the sheet metal.
    10mm, 24.25 in bare gel and 21.25 through sheet metal.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been since I did the last one. Sorry for taking so long but I finally shot the .40 S&W Underwood 140gr through the gel today using my Sig P229. Two rounds through the bare gel and two through the sheet metal. The two rounds through the bare gel I got 22.5 and 23 inches. The velocity was 1250fps for the first one and 1260fps for the second. Both bullets were recovered base forward. The first bullet appeared to have tumbled at the 7 and 18 inch mark. Rounds one and two through the sheet metal went to 17 and 18.5 inches. I only got velocity from the second bullet and it was 1252fps.

For comparison with the other calibers tried.

.45 Super, max penetration through the bare gel, 23.75 inches and 20.75 through the sheet metal.
    9mm, max through the bare gel was 47.5 inches and 18 inches through the sheet metal.
    10mm, 24.25 in bare gel and 21.25 through sheet metal.
    9mm went 47” in bare gel? Seriously? Very cool, if that’s not a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    9mm went 47” in bare gel? Seriously? Very cool, if that’s not a typo.
    No, it's not a typo.
    Last edited by 5pins; 05-23-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: A tyop in the typo.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    No, it's not a tyop.
    Cool! New hiking load, boxes ordering now.

Wonder how the .32 and .380 loads do.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Wonder how the .32 and .380 loads do.
    Funny you should ask. I shot a Buffalo Bore .327 mag 130gr hardcast yesterday and it went through two blocks. I'm going to try it again with more blocks later.

Underwood makes a .380 100gr +P hardcast. I was thinking of dragging my CC through their website and buy a bunch of different hardcast in 10mm, 9mm, .45, and .40. I wonder if adding .380 would be worth it.

Site Supporter
    Funny you should ask. I shot a Buffalo Bore .327 mag 130gr hardcast yesterday and it went through two blocks. I'm going to try it again with more blocks later.

Underwood makes a .380 100gr +P hardcast. I was thinking of dragging my CC through their website and buy a bunch of different hardcast in 10mm, 9mm, .45, and .40. I wonder if adding .380 would be worth it.
    Video length is longer than it needs to be, but MAC tested some recently:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDQcE-1T40

I carry Underwood/Lehigh XP 90gr .380 in my LCP.

Coincidentally, I was just testing BB 147gr hardcast 9mm in my wife's new Ruger LCR. There was measurable "crimp-jump" as the bullet was pulled out of the case by recoil inertia. Not enough to cause problems, but noticeable. I later found that some people are taper-crimping their 9mm revolver ammo. I wonder if the copper Lehigh XP bullets would be less prone to crimp-jump?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-23-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List