Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    El Cid, thanks for posting those. Are you going to try the Glockmeister recoil spring assembly?
    I have the NDZ brand RSA. I haven't shot with it because I was trying to wait until the gun started malfunctioning or I saw frame damage before using after-market parts. I suppose I should just give it a go and see how it feels and functions with the various loads.
    Last edited by El Cid; 07-16-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I have the NDZ brand RSA. I haven't shot with it because I was trying to wait until the gun started malfunctioning or I saw frame damage before using after-market parts. I suppose I should just give it a go and see how it feels and functions with the various loads.
    I tried a Wolff guide rod and heavier recoil spring in a few of our Gen 3 SF model 20 pistols, and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Just remembered, a few years ago, I got some Critical Duty 10mm when it was brand new, and an exclusive to Cabela's. Went through +/- 150 rounds of it without a stoppage in a few 20 and 29 Glock pistols.

If I had to bet 10 PF dollars on reliability and penetration, I would think it will turn out to be the Hornady Critical Duty and possibly the Lehigh Xtreme penetrator, as the bullet profile looks like it should feed better than the FMJ-FP profiles that I have had issues with.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I tried a Wolff guide rod and heavier recoil spring in a few of our Gen 3 SF model 20 pistols, and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Just remembered, a few years ago, I got some Critical Duty 10mm when it was brand new, and an exclusive to Cabela's. Went through +/- 150 rounds of it without a stoppage in a few 20 and 29 Glock pistols.

If I had to bet 10 PF dollars on reliability and penetration, I would think it will turn out to be the Hornady Critical Duty and possibly the Lehigh Xtreme penetrator, as the bullet profile looks like it should feed better than the FMJ-FP profiles that I have had issues with.
    Compare critical duty winshield to gel test results between calibers and you might wonder about carrying the much larger 10mm guns.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Compare critical duty winshield to gel test results between calibers and you might wonder about carrying the much larger 10mm guns.
    Can you elaborate, I have slow internet for a few days. Think it penetrates better than Gold Dot 165?

I shot 45 rounds of Lehigh xtreme .40 through my Glock 23 today. Small sample but no stoppages. Gun felt good shooting it, and it hit POA/POI. It seemed accurate as I could hit an eight inch steel at 50 at will with it. I shot some one hand with a loose grip as part of the test without issue. Liking this load so far, for field use.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Can you elaborate, I have slow internet for a few days. Think it penetrates better than Gold Dot 165?

I shot 45 rounds of Lehigh xtreme .40 through my Glock 23 today. Small sample but no stoppages. Gun felt good shooting it, and it hit POA/POI. It seemed accurate as I could hit an eight inch steel at 50 at will with it. I shot some one hand with a loose grip as part of the test without issue. Liking this load so far, for field use.
    It's just that the Critical Duty line performs pretty consistently across calibers in the windshield gel or plywood gels tests. For example 10mm and .40 were both measured at 14" of gel after both plywood or windshield glass.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ha...-gr-40-s-and-w
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Shot another 20 rounds of Underwood Lehigh Xtreme .40 through the G23 this morning. No failures.

First I shot the head box at 25, only three rounds as I have a limited amount of ammo, and the POI was appropriate and similar to the Gold Dot 165 that I shot as a control. Look carefully, and you see the shape of the bullet head in the cardboard.

Next, I shot three rounds at 50 yards, and POI was perfect.

Look closely again, and see the bullet shape:

Saw the Hornady Critical Duty (all Hornady ammo actually) is on sale at Midway USA. I snagged a box as well as a couple other brands in 10mm to mess with.

Hmm. Guess I can't edit a post after a few minutes.

Here's what I bought:

Not sure the DT ammo will feed but it's just a box.
    Last edited by El Cid; 07-18-2016 at 07:25 PM.

That BB 200 FMJ load chokes our Glock 29's every magazine. Look forward to hearing how it runs for you.

My wife shot some of the .40 Underwood with the Lehigh Xtreme 140 grain ammo through her Glock 27 this morning. No function problems and the POI was right on at 25 yards. I also shot a few rounds of it through the Glock 35 and USP 40, and POI was also right on at 25 yards. Based on shooting it through a 23, 27, 35 and USP 40, I am reasonably confident that POI is similarly to conventional ball and JHP ammo. Yet to have a stoppage, but with only about 100 rounds fired, I am optimistic if not yet confident on function.

I also shot some Critical Duty 10mm through my G3 SF Glock 29, and it both ran and hit POA/POI.

For an outdoorsy field pistol, I am thinking some combination of Hornady Critical Duty as a tough JHP and the Xtreme penetrator as a second load, makes a good combination.

User Tag List