Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I carry Underwood/Lehigh XP 90gr .380 in my LCP.

Coincidentally, I was just testing BB 147gr hardcast 9mm in my wife's new Ruger LCR. There was measurable "crimp-jump" as the bullet was pulled out of the case by recoil inertia. Not enough to cause problems, but noticeable. I later found that some people are taper-crimping their 9mm revolver ammo. I wonder if the copper Lehigh XP bullets would be less prone to crimp-jump?
    Take it from someone who's loaded and shot thousands of revo rounds. A taper crimp will not hold the bullet in place. Only a heavy roll crimp into a cannelure will hold it.

I put this out before, and I don't think I ever got a clear answer. Has this type of round (solid, non-expanded, fluted projectile) ever been shown to have superior performance to FMJ as far as incapacitating humans?

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    I put this out before, and I don't think I ever got a clear answer. Has this type of round (solid, non-expanded, fluted projectile) ever been shown to have superior performance to FMJ as far as incapacitating humans?
    From what I have seen, the answer to your question is likely a solid ''no''. Not seeing any large LE agencies or the .mil buying this stuff.

LeHigh Defense's advertisements suggest that they have yet to realize that the radial cracking exhinbited in testing in 10% gelatin (of any other test medium) does not correlate directly with actual tissue damage.

The claims that they are making (either intentionally or out of ignorance) can mislead potential buyers and in either event, I would hesitate to take anything that they say as accurate.

FWIW, I am taking this opinion as the final word on the matter:

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    This idea of a solid projectile with flat point and flutes has been around for a long time. We tested a .45 Auto 185 gr +P solid w/flat point and flutes for NSW back in the late 1980's or so.

Despite media and vendor hype to the contrary, these solid fluted bullets just punch a hole in tissue like any FMJ--there is no mystical hydraulic energy, magical pressure spikes, absurdly enlarged wound cavity, etc...

Nonetheless, this design can be a good projectile and offer decent terminal performance.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 05-24-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Lehigh Defense: Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Take it from someone who's loaded and shot thousands of revo rounds. A taper crimp will not hold the bullet in place. Only a heavy roll crimp into a cannelure will hold it.
    You’re not wrong. However my testing today yielded acceptable results for Buffalo Bore 147 hard cast with an added taper crimp. My take home is: don’t re-use any defense rounds from a cylinder that’s been partially shot. I’m satisfied that it’s not going to jump out during any single 5 shot engagement.

BB HC with taper crimp: 1.0760” COL
    1.0970” after 4 shots
    1.1160” after 8 shots

On the other hand, Lehigh XP jumped out a lot more, and I can’t recommend this bullet for 9mm revolvers:
    XP 1.0965” COL
    1.1675” after 4 shots
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-24-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    From what I have seen, the answer to your question is likely a solid ''no''. Not seeing any large LE agencies or the .mil buying this stuff.

LeHigh Defense's advertisements suggest that they have yet to realize that the radial cracking exhinbited in testing in 10% gelatin (of any other test medium) does not correlate directly with actual tissue damage.

The claims that they are making (either intentionally or out of ignorance) can mislead potential buyers and in either event, I would hesitate to take anything that they say as accurate.

My hope is that this would be better than the usual loads for .32acp or .380acp, where you either get a JHP that expands, but doesn't penetrate, or a FMJ that deflects off bones ect. due to the round nose profile.

Admittedly, it's no where close to what a good 9mm will do, but sometimes a NPE mouseguns or "old man's gun" is the only option one might have.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

This is what I strongly suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Wonder how the .32 and .380 loads do.
    Here are some Buffalo Bore 130gr 327 mag loads I shot into some clear gel from Ruger Single-Seven with a 4.75-inch barrel. They went 54.5 and 55 inches in bare gel and 17.75 and 20 inches through sheet metal. Velocity varied from 1232fps to 1270fps.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Here are some Buffalo Bore 130gr 327 mag loads I shot into some clear gel from Ruger Single-Seven with a 4.75-inch barrel. They went 54.5 and 55 inches in bare gel and 17.75 and 20 inches through sheet metal. Velocity varied from 1232fps to 1270fps.

Probably would get into the skull of most bears.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Funny this came up- a friend of mine asked me to clean her Glock 42, and she had a load of .380 Glasers in the mag.

I mentioned she needed better ammo- what's better? Extreme Penetrators or BB hardcast flatpoints?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Funny this came up- a friend of mine asked me to clean her Glock 42, and she had a load of .380 Glasers in the mag.

I mentioned she needed better ammo- what's better? Extreme Penetrators or BB hardcast flatpoints?
    Does she value reliability or penetration more?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List