Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Act of Valor

Act of Valor

Every time I see this flick, it's just WOW.

This scene has to be one of the coolest things ever put on film IMHO:

In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Every time I see this flick, it's just WOW.

This scene has to be one of the coolest things ever put on film IMHO:

Give a new meaning to calling for back!

There was a version of this from the trailer that was even more impressive. But, totally agree, it is an incredible clip.

A guy commented on another forum a while back about these boats in actions he had observed, and as you would expect, his comment was that return fire quickly drops to zero as they work the shoreline.

My understanding is that was an actual live fire training exercise. And that the scene was edited together to get the people in it.

Which if true is just awesome.

Wondering if we'll see some of the SEALs involved move on to acting careers as they ETS/retire from the Navy?

Fire superiority is really nice to have. I wonder what would happen, though, if the bad guys had a bit of light armor--a BRDM or BMP or something like that--rather than just pickup trucks and AKs. How would those boats make out in that case? Indeed, how would the boats manage with some RPG volleys.

Not to pick on the SEALs--they necessarily have to go light--but an occasion like that is going to go wrong an awful lot of the time unless the boats get out of there a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Fire superiority is really nice to have. I wonder what would happen, though, if the bad guys had a bit of light armor--a BRDM or BMP or something like that--rather than just pickup trucks and AKs. How would those boats make out in that case? Indeed, how would the boats manage with some RPG volleys.

Not to pick on the SEALs--they necessarily have to go light--but an occasion like that is going to go wrong an awful lot of the time unless the boats get out of there a lot faster.
    Not to defend their choice of tactics as relayed via Hollywood...........but I am sure they have figured out how to do hot extracts off the beach/shoreines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Not to defend their choice of tactics as relayed via Hollywood...........but I am sure they have figured out how to do hot extracts off the beach/shoreines.
    /thread over

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    You mean they normally don't drive cars into rivers so they can be picked up by gunboats? Seriously, while I never saw the film I understood that it was supposed to be fairly realistic, but that scene reminded me of the worst of Hollywood. In fairness, to the extent SEALs helped decide what went into the movie, one wonders why they thought this kind of stuff should be thrown in. Unless, of course, it was an attempt at deception trying to convince the bad guys that the Navy has no clue what it is doing.

As an ex-Army guy in an entirely Navy family, I am often accused of having the latter viewpoint, but here I think the facts speak for themselves.

My understanding was that the movie started out as a documentary, and they decided to jazz it up and make a drama out of it.

Since most if not all the actors were active duty personnel doing the jobs they do in real life, by all means consider the possibility that OPSEC caused on-screen "Hollywood" BS.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List