Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Encumbrance of Concealed Carry

So...you drive a hot car...You remember when you first started driving hot cars and you had to be more careful? Let the clutch out calmly, don't stomp down on it, behave yourself, take the threat of the car serious? Then later, you got more relaxed and were able to drive the car more ably. That's what carrying a gun is like - you have to relax. The gun is a tool, like the car is. It's a tool for serious business, but then so is a car. And just like the average guy probably doesn't know you have 400 horses under the hood, the average guy doesn't know you have a 9mm on your hip. Wear your gun, like you drive your car, or wear your favorite pair of shoes - comfortably. If you have to change everything about your day-to-day routine to carry a gun it's too much of a burden.

And I know "carrying a gun should be comforting, not comfortable." And whatever...Here's an aphorism for you to mull over, "A wise man never feels out of place." And that means being alert, aware, confident, secure, and comfortable in day-to-day situations.

-Rob

This commercial just seems appropriate:

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    When-then'ing your routines is good practice and distinguishes armed citizens from people CCW'ing. If it's exhausting you though, dial it down. It doesn't need to be a great labor.

Most folks around you are oblivious to your gun. And as much as we want to think otherwise, cops are pretty bad at picking up on them, too. You're giving away more by fussing with your concealment than just shopping smart and going about your day.

Be neatly dressed, neatly groomed, well behaved, law-abiding, mind your own business, and drive a car in good repair. No one will notice you.

Eventually, what you're doing is just another set of habits.
    ^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    If you don't mind, could you elaborate on this?
    Sure. I don't really think about most of the stuff I have on me during the day. I put my pants on, and I put my gun on, put my phone in my pocket, put my wallet in my pocket, and put my knife on. I don't really think about any of the stuff unless I need it, like I have to pay for something, send a text, or cut an apple. My gun's not really any different; there are situations where I'm going to think about it, but for the most part it's just an inert hunk of metal that rides around with me most places.

Are you saying that you find yourself in condition white while carrying?

TIA for the clarification.
    Yeah, all the time. I'm in condition white when I'm in the office, if I'm playing Madden on the couch, or in church for example. I'm sure there are other places I go white too. I'm in condition white right now, but my gun is like 5 feet away and it's not even loaded.

I have been practicing awareness for many years, but with the attitude that I had to have an escape planned out. Now that I am carrying, my mind is now also thinking and looking at possible defenses, where is my family, etc. But, at least now I have an option available that I did not have before CCW.

But, since I enjoy running possible, yet maybe not probable scenarios through my mind, I feel a heightened awareness that I am comfortable with.

The only mental encumbrance I have is remembering whether my travel that day exhibits the possibility of a wrong turn into hostile territory (aka DC/MD).

Honestly, I think the color code of awareness is overdone. I don't necessarily think being at a certain level all the time is as usefully as being able to switch between them seamlessly. Training new cops, they always seem ready to gun down everybody they meet. This tends to make them so amped that they make poor decisions, rush into things, or miss important info. I want somebody who is completely relaxed until time to amp it up and still remain calm even after we step it up.

Any competitive shooter will tell you tension and anxiety kill performance and that a relaxed state of awareness is where you want to stay. Why would life be any different?

Site Supporter
    As a 'civilian' I either put on a Glock 9mm under a floppy shirt, fleece vest (when it is 'cold' in TX - hahaha!) or jacket. I'm quite used to it. Other times, it's a J frame but I have a Glock 42 that is new to try out.

The only time I've been called on concealed weaponry was because of the Spydercos. Once was from a kid from SE Asia and said his country had a knife culture and he is sensitive to such. The other time was just last week when a a big old bearded tattooed vet (now a firefighter) asked why the two knives. He wanted to talk knife classes as compared to wait he learned in the service. I do notice knife clips and then look for a gun tell. An honest to god Seal that I work with (a real one!!) has a very nice knife whose clip I saw and asked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The only time I've been called on concealed weaponry was because of the Spydercos.
    This is a great point. I once noticed someone had spotted the Spyderco clip on my pocket, then wondered if they had noticed the PPS right above it concealed under a fleece vest. I still carry both at the same time, but unclip the knife and let it fall to the bottom of my pocket where it is wholly concealed. If I wasn't consciously observing my surroundings at that moment, I never would have spotted the stare at the knife clip and been made aware of the adjustment needed.

I'm not as concerned about being in white when armed, the only time I'd choose not to be armed is if I were drinking, which I don't do out in public anyway. I agree with the comment about it being more dangerous to be unaware when unarmed, as you don't have that final option available.

The leg pocket on untactical Carhartts are a nice place to carry a clipped knife. Its right at hand level, and it isn't somewhere most people notice. The clip isn't completely exposed, and there's a pen and other things on the lower pocket. Good place for a pepper pen also. Carhartts may not be everyones style type, but they are really comfortable, and have pretty big pockets all around.

User Tag List