Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup/NPE Gun Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    When I carry a G27ish sized gun it feels like a tumor. I guess it's the width in a short package. For instance I previously used a VG2 with my G27, with a tucked bloused dress shirt and it makes a noticeable bulge. My calves ate thick so that makes ankle carry difficult too. I've ankle carried an LCR with success before, so again, the width causes issues.

My normal attire is a polo/button up/tshirt and jeans. I can conceal a G35 sized gun like that all day but when I have to wear more fitted clothing, tucked shirts, or more athletic gear I have issues, that's where I'm coming from. This is a niche gun, not an EDC replacement.
    Try a VG1. The gun can move with the body (it is not fixed like the vg2). While I like Raven gear, the snap loop on the vanguard kind of defeats the minimalist idea. Also, buy shirts a size bigger.

The vg1 is good. Add ungutted 550 cord and a sliding grommet as seen below, and you'll be good

Credit all goes to DJ at American Kami knives for the above idea.

I have been having the same discussion with myself. Expected to like the PPS, but it is just a little weird. Shield doesn't feel right, and I am leery of S&W after my M&P debacle in past years. LIke DB, while I have the S&W J frame and Glock 42, they just feel like more a back-up than primary.

I am going to try a 3913 (Lady Smith as it is thinner), and hoping the G42's bigger brother arrives and functions, early in 2015.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Frankly, I don't get why people advocate the S&W snub revolver when the Glock 19 is basically the same size.

More comparison pictures through the following link:
    http://www.totalsurvivalist.com/2013...y-j-frame.html
    Ankle carry that G19 for one week each in your pocket and on your ankle then get back with me on "Why?"

One reason is weight, depending on which J frame, the wheelgun is less than half the weight of a G19, a 340 is pushing 1/3 of the weight.

ETA; For a belt worn gun I agree though
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 09-13-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I've tried it in the past with a basic Safariland pocket holster holding a 442 and LCR. In jeans and khakis with the holstered gun in a front pocket it makes a huge bulge. Maybe if I found pants with larger pockets or that we're cut more generously in the thigh. I rarely carry a phone in my front pockets for the same reasons. This would be in a case involving a tucked shirt that wouldn't permit a tuckable holster otherwise the G22 would work.
    I pocket carry a 642 in a Kramer Pocket Holster pretty regularly. You are correct, some pants are more conducive that others. I buy pleated dress slacks because they generally have a more generous pockets and the pleats help the cylinder bulge disappear. One of the attractions to the G42 over the J frame is the slimmer overall package.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    slimmer overall package
    I don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Frankly, I don't get why people advocate the S&W snub revolver when the Glock 19 is basically the same size.
    Not even close... pictures and calipers do not tell the whole story.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

I've been carrying a J frame of one sort or another, as back-up/off-duty, and in a few cases as primary, for well over thirty years… almost every day (and so has LSP552, which is why I'm REALLY surprised that the G42 might replace his 642… didn't see that one coming).

I have tried numerous mouse-type autos, but the only one I ever carried more than a few times was a stainless PPK/S (the Alabama-produced example). I had one that actually worked, and would hold less than a garbage can lid sized group at 25 yards. But its a rather heavy critter for its size, so I went back to the snubby revolver. And despite several attempts to go to a self-loader for that role, I just keep going back to the J frame. Bottom line on that is, I simply do NOT have any confidence in the .380 cartridge. The .38 Special +P, in 158gr LSWCHP trim, has an established track record… even out of a 1 7/8" barrel. The .380… not so much.

As you know, I've always been a J-frame guy for back-up/deep concealment/not a gun carry. I only have 150 rds through the G42 so I'm still in early test mode. However, the bottom line is it is easiest pocket pistol I've ever used to get hits with beyond bad breath range. While there are smaller .380s, they are not nearly as easy to hit with. I really think Glock got this one right; small and light enough to fit in a pocket but large enough to shoot pretty well.

Yes, the .380 isn't exactly a cannon and wouldn't be my choice to start a fight with. But, at least at this point, I'm thinking the better shootability over the 642 is worth the ballistic down check. And as an old retired guy, I not hunting bad guys or going to the ATM at midnight. I'm also not giving up the the 17 and 19 in a Summer Special 2 as my primary carry.

Like the J-frame, I see the G42 as a niche gun.

I'm a fan of the Hornady Critical Defense 110 gr. in my 642/442. The 42 is loaded with Gold Dots and I've seen some pretty decent test results (for a .380). Want to shoot it????

Ken

I own a Shield, 442, and a 42. The Shield gets carried the most AIWB. If I need to pocket carry only I take the 42 with Hydrashok and a spare magazine. The J frame does dirty work. Yard work, bike rides, working in the shop, etc.

The Shield fills the most like a primary to me and would work fine as an ankle pistol with regular cleaning. A few of the local troopers are using XDs 45s in this role. Size and loaded weight are virtually the same as a Shield. The Shield doesn't work as well IWB in basketball shorts for me because it's just heavy enough to flop around to much for comfort. The 42 is perfect for this though.

I could probably live without a J frame but I like shooting it and I don't completely trust the 42 to stand up to dust, sweat, and grime yet. I had some issues early on with it but it has been fine since a trip back to Glock. I just need more test time with it to trust it completely.

To me, each pistol fits a different role. You just need to decide which role you need the most. The Shield is my favorite but I never ankle carry and don't pocket carry that often. A lot of the local PD officers are carrying Shields off duty since they switched to M&Ps I haven't heard any complaints. I believe LEO price is around $325.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I'm limited on 3 guns by serial number that I can carry in California and when I renew it will be between a 19, possibly another 19 or my 17 and my G42 in a DSG casual IWB that I can carry sans belt.

User Tag List