Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup/NPE Gun Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    ... it's probably going to replace the J frames as my pocket and ankle gun.
    Say it ain't so!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Because it's (J frame) a gun you can carry pretty much everywhere you want - ankle, AIWB, belly band, pocket, shoulder, strapped around your inner thigh with duct tape, in a briefcase, tucked under the driver's seat, etc. and you can be confident it will work.

Sorry for the edit, but I don't do lasers, and I've become quite partial to the AirLites. My "only one gun" choice would be a G19, a J frame would be my second. But your quote above pretty much covers the versatility of the J frame.

I've been carrying a J frame of one sort or another, as back-up/off-duty, and in a few cases as primary, for well over thirty years… almost every day (and so has LSP552, which is why I'm REALLY surprised that the G42 might replace his 642… didn't see that one coming).

I have tried numerous mouse-type autos, but the only one I ever carried more than a few times was a stainless PPK/S (the Alabama-produced example). I had one that actually worked, and would hold less than a garbage can lid sized group at 25 yards. But its a rather heavy critter for its size, so I went back to the snubby revolver. And despite several attempts to go to a self-loader for that role, I just keep going back to the J frame. Bottom line on that is, I simply do NOT have any confidence in the .380 cartridge. The .38 Special +P, in 158gr LSWCHP trim, has an established track record… even out of a 1 7/8" barrel. The .380… not so much.

OP, I have to wonder why you dismiss pocket carry. Have you tried it? The proper holster makes ALL the difference there.

My "not a gun....gun" is a 442 or LCR. I rarely use them. I do well with a P2000Sk in a very small fanny pack. I am also starting to work with a S&W Model 12 in a small fanny pack. I also carried, and love my S&W 296. That was a back up for a lot of years and is suitable for a lightweight back country gun as well. As far as the .380's, I carried a SiG P230 in an ankle holster as a back up to my P-220 in my duty holster. I don't mind going out with a P2000SK, Glock 26/27, etc if its a lower risk situation. I am always "uncomfortable" with a 5 shot .38 or .380 as a primary. I simply can't think of a single scenario that I feel confident in a fight with either of them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

442 or a PM9... Spalding shorts.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    For about 6 weeks I've been struggling to decide on a small, NPE/BUG pistol and I absolutely can not decide on anything. I know there's probably not "the" answer but I'm in need of guidance or advice. The guns I've been mulling over are the M&P Shield, Glock 42, S&W 442, and the LCR.

The purpose of the gun is not to replace my (off duty) EDC, which is a G22 with a G23 sized, chopped grip but to give me more options. I need someting I can carry when mode of dress isn't friendly to a full-size pistol or when I need something smaller in general. Think church, jogging, walking to the mailbox, etc. I want something small enough that it hides easily, comfortably and conveniently but is adequate for self defense. Unfortunately my PD fails to realize the importance of BUGs so commonality with my G22 isn't really an issue due to BUGs being unauthorized. I won't pocket carry but ankle, discreet AIWB, tucked IWB, belly band, and smart carry are options.

Shield: I like that it's small yet usable. Comes in adequate calibers (I'd go 9mm), easy to find holsters, mags, sight, etc. I don't like the trigger (can be fixed) and it's maybe on the edge of being bigger than I prefer.

G42: I like it completely but I cannot get over it being .380. I'm an admitted Glock Koolaid drinker and I will confess that if it wasn't a Glock I wouldn't even consider it based on caliber alone. I know that's a bit silly but I'm being honest. I can get it blue label so the price advantage is nice too.

442: I had one in the past that I regret selling. CTC grips and an Apex kit really complete the package. I really like a j-frame but 5-shots of .38 vs. 8-shots of 9mm with faster reloads is holding me back. Plus, it's not much smaller than a Shield. I enjoy shooting a revolver and it could be a good training tool too.

LCR: see above. Just another revolver option.

I'm not interested in the G26/27 because they don't work for me in this application, I've tried. I know it makes the most sense since I carry a G22 but I can carry a compact or full-size Glock just as easily, thickness is the issue for me at this point. The PPS, although a great pistol, doesn't work for me mostly due to size and mag release. The G27 and PPS were my first two attempts and they didn't work out so I'm trying to get it right this time. I test fired a Kahr PM9, nice package but the trigger is not my cup of tea.

I'm stuck, my wheels are spinning, and I don't know what to do?

Lay your advice or suggestions on me. Keep in mind I carry my G22 successfully in most instances but I've found some short comings and that's what the smaller gun will hopefully help address. (sorry if I chose the wrong sub forum, I guess this kinda fits in autoloaders and revolvers)
    Is it the way you dress that makes concealing a G26/27 hard?

Frankly, I don't get why people advocate the S&W snub revolver when the Glock 19 is basically the same size.

More comparison pictures through the following link:
    http://www.totalsurvivalist.com/2013...y-j-frame.html

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    OP, I have to wonder why you dismiss pocket carry. Have you tried it? The proper holster makes ALL the difference there.

I've tried it in the past with a basic Safariland pocket holster holding a 442 and LCR. In jeans and khakis with the holstered gun in a front pocket it makes a huge bulge. Maybe if I found pants with larger pockets or that we're cut more generously in the thigh. I rarely carry a phone in my front pockets for the same reasons. This would be in a case involving a tucked shirt that wouldn't permit a tuckable holster otherwise the G22 would work.

As he said, it's about thickness rather than length. Slim guns conceal better. Round butts conceal better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Is it the way you dress that makes concealing a G26/27 hard?
    When I carry a G27ish sized gun it feels like a tumor. I guess it's the width in a short package. For instance I previously used a VG2 with my G27, with a tucked bloused dress shirt and it makes a noticeable bulge. My calves are thick so that makes ankle carry difficult too (no, I don't have cankles). I've ankle carried an LCR with success before, so again, the width causes issues.

My normal attire is a polo/button up/tshirt and jeans. I can conceal a G35 sized gun like that all day but when I have to wear more fitted clothing, tucked shirts, or more athletic gear I have issues, that's where I'm coming from. This is a niche gun, not an EDC replacement.

I like my Kahr K9. The trigger has a longer pull than a Glock which can be a good and bad thing. Good things for me is that the trigger poses less risk for an accidental discharge and it is similar to the LEM trigger which is my primary carry.

The CW9 and P9 are the polymer versions if you are looking for something lighter.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List