Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup/NPE Gun Conundrum

Backup/NPE Gun Conundrum

For about 6 weeks I've been struggling to decide on a small, NPE/BUG pistol and I absolutely can not decide on anything. I know there's probably not "the" answer but I'm in need of guidance or advice. The guns I've been mulling over are the M&P Shield, Glock 42, S&W 442, and the LCR.

The purpose of the gun is not to replace my (off duty) EDC, which is a G22 with a G23 sized, chopped grip but to give me more options. I need someting I can carry when mode of dress isn't friendly to a full-size pistol or when I need something smaller in general. Think church, jogging, walking to the mailbox, etc. I want something small enough that it hides easily, comfortably and conveniently but is adequate for self defense. Unfortunately my PD fails to realize the importance of BUGs so commonality with my G22 isn't really an issue due to BUGs being unauthorized. I won't pocket carry but ankle, discreet AIWB, tucked IWB, belly band, and smart carry are options.

Shield: I like that it's small yet usable. Comes in adequate calibers (I'd go 9mm), easy to find holsters, mags, sight, etc. I don't like the trigger (can be fixed) and it's maybe on the edge of being bigger than I prefer.

G42: I like it completely but I cannot get over it being .380. I'm an admitted Glock Koolaid drinker and I will confess that if it wasn't a Glock I wouldn't even consider it based on caliber alone. I know that's a bit silly but I'm being honest. I can get it blue label so the price advantage is nice too.

442: I had one in the past that I regret selling. CTC grips and an Apex kit really complete the package. I really like a j-frame but 5-shots of .38 vs. 8-shots of 9mm with faster reloads is holding me back. Plus, it's not much smaller than a Shield. I enjoy shooting a revolver and it could be a good training tool too.

LCR: see above. Just another revolver option.

I'm not interested in the G26/27 because they don't work for me in this application, I've tried. I know it makes the most sense since I carry a G22 but I can carry a compact or full-size Glock just as easily, thickness is the issue for me at this point. The PPS, although a great pistol, doesn't work for me mostly due to size and mag release. The G27 and PPS were my first two attempts and they didn't work out so I'm trying to get it right this time. I test fired a Kahr PM9, nice package but the trigger is not my cup of tea.

I'm stuck, my wheels are spinning, and I don't know what to do?

Lay your advice or suggestions on me. Keep in mind I carry my G22 successfully in most instances but I've found some short comings and that's what the smaller gun will hopefully help address. (sorry if I chose the wrong sub forum, I guess this kinda fits in autoloaders and revolvers)

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    The purpose of the gun is not to replace my (off duty) EDC, which is a G22 with a G23 sized, chopped grip but to give me more options. I need someting I can carry when mode of dress isn't friendly to a full-size pistol or when I need something smaller in general. Think church, jogging, walking to the mailbox, etc. I want something small enough that it hides easily, comfortably and conveniently but is adequate for self defense.
    My vote is Glock 42 - not that the Shield (sans manual safety), J-frame, or LCR aren't good options. You already drink the Glock-Aid and the price is right for you - plus, they're pretty neat. I think they're the most concealable of the bunch.

The lounge gun thread will be of interest to you.

For the very job you describe I have a couple of 642s, an LCR, a S&W 317 (yes, that is in fact a .22lr) and a Glock 42, all of which work rather well for me.

The 642s are also my on duty BUGs, one in the left pocket, one on my ankle.

The 642/442 has filled that role for me for a long time. Before they came out, it was an airweight S&W 38. I love airweight J frames. Having said that, I'm doing my acceptance testing of a Glock 42 now. I need to put a few more rounds through it but it's probably going to replace the J frames as my pocket and ankle gun.

Ken

I'm noodling around that same issue, and this is where my mind is going. Due to it's caliber I've never seriously considered the Glock 42. Regarding small revolvers, five shots of .38 Spcl. are noncompetitive when better options are available. It's not the caliber (9mm's are not much different, I don't think), it's a preference for more rounds, more quickly reloaded. And like you, I've found the Shield to be too large to be fully needs-compliant. I'd have to dress a little around the gun and that's not what I'm looking for. The Kahr PM9 ticks all the right boxes except, as you noted, the trigger. But I think I can practice with the trigger until I adjust to it. And I can't really foresee using the Kahr for low probability shots where the trigger would be more than an ego issue. "Darn it, Scotty! I was aiming for the left nostril!". My hesitation on the Kahr is it's reputation (on internet forums) for occasionally spotty reliability.

Ultimately, my needle is drifting towards the Kahr, but with the proviso that it comfortably survives a reliability course before accepting it for duty.

I think you need to first settle on what style and brand basketball shorts you are planning to wear as lounge around wear. Mission drives the gear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    My vote is Glock 42 - not that the Shield (sans manual safety), J-frame, or LCR aren't good options. You already drink the Glock-Aid and the price is right for you - plus, they're pretty neat. I think they're the most concealable of the bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The lounge gun thread will be of interest to you.

For the very job you describe I have a couple of 642s, an LCR, a S&W 317 (yes, that is in fact a .22lr) and a Glock 42, all of which work rather well for me.

The 642s are also my on duty BUGs, one in the left pocket, one on my ankle.
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    The 642/442 has filled that role for me for a long time. Before they came out, it was an airweight S&W 38. I love airweight J frames. Having said that, I'm doing my acceptance testing of a Glock 42 now. I need to put a few more rounds through it but it's probably going to replace the J frames as my pocket and ankle gun.

Ken
    I think it says a lot when guys who collectively have probably tried every single concealed carry/pocket gun out there have settled on the 642/442 and/or the Glock 42 as their guns of choice.

I have said for years, if I were left with one gun for the rest of my life to fulfill all of my needs, it would be a 642 no-lock with CTC laser grips, and a good trigger job. Because it's a gun you can carry pretty much everywhere you want - ankle, AIWB, belly band, pocket, shoulder, strapped around your inner thigh with duct tape, in a briefcase, tucked under the driver's seat, etc. and you can be confident it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think you need to first settle on what style and brand basketball shorts you are planning to wear as lounge around wear. Mission drives the gear.
    Man...sometimes you're just a hard guy to please...The discerning enthusiast wears only Under Armor quick-dry.

-Rob

If the Shield is a possibility, I think its a no-brainer to go that route over a 380 or lightweight snubbie. Especially since you said you won't pocket carry. J-frames fill a few niches very well, pocket & ankle carry in particular, but it sounds like you're more interested in discreet IWB. A Shield is just a far more capable gun.

If you do go with a snubbie, check out an LCR before you buy a j-frame. An easily replaceable front sight is a very nice feature, and the trigger is much more manageable IMO.
    Last edited by Stephen; 09-12-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a Shield 9 that I carry IWB when I do not feel I can conceal a M&P FS 9 in IWB. I would consider the Shield 9.

I went through the same issue. I decided on the 442 + Apex and CTC for my NPE work, which is 5 days a week. I am more than happy with my decision.

I also own a Shield. It does not get used for the same role.
    G42 was never even considered.

User Tag List