Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W SD9VE 2,000 round test thread

Thanks for taking the time to perform and write this review. And much appreciation for your charity.

Site Supporter
    And this thread was awesome before...

Kudos to you Sean!

I somehow missed this thread. I carry an SD9, it has a few thousand rounds through it which stopped when I started competing with a G17. I still trust it with my life and when I do training courses I use the SD9. It's seen some abuse. It has broken a striker, so I can't say it's been "flawless" (how I hate seeing that word on gun forums), but it's been mended and now works again.

With you on the gun being a tad slick, it does tend to move if shot with sweaty hands, but I find the trigger guard to be the same dimensions as the M&P.

Thanks for the review, the SD9 has never been as popular due to the Sigma legacy, so I'll be sure to refer a couple of people to this thread.

Do you recall what the approximate round count of your pistol was when the striker broke?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Do you recall what the approximate round count of your pistol was when the striker broke?
    Hmm. Around 5K? But it was dry fired many many times before that, which I am sure contributed to the problem. When I bought the gun I was still a candidate attorney (intern, I believe you call it?), so my pay was about $400 a month, in a country where I paid the equivalent of $600 for the gun. Thus I dry fired like a demon, so dry fire count could be closer to 15K.

Oh, S&W HQ told me that it cannot be replaced with a Sigma striker. They're wrong, because that's all I could find and it is he exact same thing.

I blame your litigious society for them trying to cover their asses :-)

Another hour at the range, another 369 rounds down the pipe. 344 of the Freedom Munitions 115gr reman and 25 more rounds of 124gr Remington Golden Saber.

Total round count: 1,065
    Stoppages: 1
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

I once again noticed the slickness of the pistol as my hands got sweaty at the local indoor range. I just can not maintain the grip I use on my Glock on the SD9 because my support hand will start sliding up the trigger guard.

Glock grip with a G19 and the SD9:

SD9 specific grip:

As you can see I have to tuck my left hand down further under the trigger guard, which feels unnatural. It just feels like I am gripping the pistol too low. The timer does not lie though, and with the new grip I can still match my average times on FAST and Bill drills although it does take a little extra concentration.

I have made the decision to put on some grip tape when I install the Apex parts (after 2,000 rounds), and am actually looking for advice.
    I have found two main options for the grip tape: Traction Grips or Decal Grip

Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks in advance!

Almost forgot to mention that my SD9 LOVES P-F.com!

That's quite nice.

I've a question for you. Have you done any accuracy testing at longer distances? I was an early adopter of the M&P 9, buying an early Pro which I promptly sold shortly thereafter due to abysmal accuracy. Since then, I've followed with great interest the various sagas on the "net" regarding the 9mm's accuracy and lack of such.

I'm really curious about whether that "issue" plagues the SD9.

I've used Decal Grip before, and it was ok, but since discovering the power of the $10 wood burner from Harbor Freight, I've become an unabashed fan.

Stop stealing my ideas for testing.

Nice job BTW

Quote Originally Posted by TORCH2J View Post
    That's quite nice.

I've a question for you. Have you done any accuracy testing at longer distances? I was an early adopter of the M&P 9, buying an early Pro which I promptly sold shortly thereafter due to abysmal accuracy. Since then, I've followed with great interest the various sagas on the "net" regarding the 9mm's accuracy and lack of such.

I'm really curious about whether that "issue" plagues the SD9.

I've used Decal Grip before, and it was ok, but since discovering the power of the $10 wood burner from Harbor Freight, I've become an unabashed fan.
    I plan on doing some accuracy testing, although as I said before take it with a grain of salt since 25 yard bull is not my strong point. I am working on that...

I will also test the accuracy after the Apex parts are installed to see how much the trigger helps me when it comes to the pistol's potential in my hands.

I will be actioning off the SD9 with 4 mags and holster/mag pouch seen below for a certain charity, so any permanent modifications like stippling are out of the question. Please keep the comments, suggestions and questions coming, it is helping me become a better shooter.

User Tag List