Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: S&W SD9VE 2,000 round test thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Not after I'd gotten that far. Because the gun functioned reliably (by that point), it never occurred to me to send it back. They'd with certainty have just fired it and said it was fine.

Earlier, they did send me a new recoil spring assembly after the one that came in the gun spontaneously self-disassembled while sitting on my bench as I cleaned the gun. Pretty sure there are pics earlier in this thread showing my actual solution - a cut-down G17 guide rod. And they sent a new striker to replace the original one that was bent like a banana and hitting the inside of the breech face in the striker channel before emerging.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I thought I'd update this thread.

My SD9VE wound up living with someone I care about who didn't have a gun of their own. It gets shot a little bit, and I still shoot it myself every once in a while.

It's probably got around 2000 rounds now, and it has never failed to cycle rounds regardless of who shoots it or their ability to grip a handgun.

However, it doesn't seem to lock back on empty with all the magazines anymore, even if I'm not interfering with the slide stop. I think the following observation by FreedomFries probably applies to my sample with at least some of it's magazines. Although, I haven't tried taking them apart to mess with them.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    So it seems that the magazines might be a weak point in this design. Some YouTube video I saw mentioned just giving the spring a gentle stretch as a cure for the problem. I was somewhat incredulous that this would help, given that it was from YouTube and that a little tug on a magazine spring is unlikely to change anything major about its elasticity. However, I tried it and now the problematic magazine achieves slide lock reliably. My theory is maybe the follower was attached to the magazine spring in some unusual way and this somehow remedied it. I do wonder if increased power magazine springs would help, but I cannot find any for the SDVE. I also intend to chop my slide stop lever down about 1/4” and cold blue the cut.

I think it's pretty ideal for it's current role. However, it's hard to recommend it as a new purchase as of today, May-26-2020, vs the M&P 2.0. When SD9VEs are currently going for around $300, new M&P 2.0 fullsize/compacts seem hard to pass up at just over $400 if you can swing an extra hundred bucks or so. Of course, pricing and availability will probably be subject to change in the future, so my relative value assessment is certainly variable too.

The SD9VE is still a good gun to defend yourself with, but it still doesn't have a Gadget available to recommend it over the M&P, and the mags may make slidelock reloads less likely to happen reliably over time. This isn't really a concern for my gun in it's current role; a slidelock reload after firing 17 rounds of 147 HST probably just isn't going to happen for it's user.

More important by far is this gun's ability to cycle reliably if it gets "limp wristed", and it has proven itself 100% reliable in this regard with any type of ammo fed to it so far. The value of this simply can't be overstated.

It's hard not to like my sample for this reason alone!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    3D printed polymer?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, I can promise that there will be one (simply because I have a bunch of these guns and I want SCDs for them), but it probably won't be available until late this year (if not later). The reason is that it'll cost more than a Glock SCD to make and an accessory that costs almost a third the price of a budget gun is going to be a hard sell to most SD owners. I'm almost certain I'll never sell enough to break even on a small production run, so as soon as I can afford another charity/passion project (I'll probably never break even on the existing G42 SCD or the upcoming G44 one), I will get them done. In the meantime, I'm investigating ways to make less expensive SCDs for this gun -- but even that will have a large upfront cost that I'll likely never recoup.
    I bought two G42 SCDs and I’ll buy a G44 as soon as you’ve got one to sell. I feel my kids end up liking my G44 as much as I do, I’ll end up with several.

I know that’s not a lot, but I like them and I have one on every Glock in the stable, except the G44 obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, I can promise that there will be one (simply because I have a bunch of these guns and I want SCDs for them), but it probably won't be available until late this year (if not later). The reason is that it'll cost more than a Glock SCD to make and an accessory that costs almost a third the price of a budget gun is going to be a hard sell to most SD owners. I'm almost certain I'll never sell enough to break even on a small production run, so as soon as I can afford another charity/passion project (I'll probably never break even on the existing G42 SCD or the upcoming G44 one), I will get them done. In the meantime, I'm investigating ways to make less expensive SCDs for this gun -- but even that will have a large upfront cost that I'll likely never recoup.
    That's awesome news, Tom! I had long thought the cost of the SCD relative to the SD9VE purchase price was too high a hurdle. Here's hoping we're both wrong.

It really is an important product. It's hard for me to fathom that the industry doesn't consider SCD-type functionality mandatory for striker guns meant to be carried.

It's kind of funny that I bought my SD9VE as a Glock 19 alternative specifically for it's shorter trigger reach. I had been wishing for a G19 sized M&P 9mm for years and had grown impatient. Immediately after I purchased it, S&W announced the M&P 2.0 Compact model. I never got around to carrying the SD9 because my Glock 19 has a SCD, and I prioritized SCD over trigger reach. Fast-forward to 2020 and now my kid is shooting 9mms, too. The Glock trigger reach is just too much, and she'll never have big hands. Today I decided to finally buy an M&P 2.0 Compact for it's very short trigger reach and relatively mild recoil compared to a 48 or P365xl. My plan was to incrementally standardize on the M&P platform as the best compromise platform for me and the kid to both carry and shoot long term.

The same day I finally pulled out my credit card for a platform change, I immediatly get word the SCD for the SD9 is absolutely going to happen.

It seems that I can summon desirable firearms and accessories out of the ether with my credit card. Tomorrow Glock will probably announce a full-width Glock 19 top end on a 48 size grip frame. It'll take 15 round factory steel mags with Agent sights and a Gadget from the factory. They'll call it the Model 19-FU. It'll be the best gun ever made. You are all welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I thought I'd update this thread.

My SD9VE wound up living with someone I care about who didn't have a gun of their own. It gets shot a little bit, and I still shoot it myself every once in a while.

It's probably got around 2000 rounds now, and it has never failed to cycle rounds regardless of who shoots it or their ability to grip a handgun.

However, it doesn't seem to lock back on empty with all the magazines anymore, even if I'm not interfering with the slide stop. I think the following observation by FreedomFries probably applies to my sample with at least some of it's magazines. Although, I haven't tried taking them apart to mess with them.

I think it's pretty ideal for it's current role. However, it's hard to recommend it as a new purchase as of today, May-26-2020, vs the M&P 2.0. When SD9VEs are currently going for around $300, new M&P 2.0 fullsize/compacts seem hard to pass up at just over $400 if you can swing an extra hundred bucks or so. Of course, pricing and availability will probably be subject to change in the future, so my relative value assessment is certainly variable too.

The SD9VE is still a good gun to defend yourself with, but it still doesn't have a Gadget available to recommend it over the M&P, and the mags may make slidelock reloads less likely to happen reliably over time. This isn't really a concern for my gun in it's current role; a slidelock reload after firing 17 rounds of 147 HST probably just isn't going to happen for it's user.

More important by far is this gun's ability to cycle reliably if it gets "limp wristed", and it has proven itself 100% reliable in this regard with any type of ammo fed to it so far. The value of this simply can't be overstated.

It's hard not to like my sample for this reason alone!
    After cleaning and stretching the magazine spring, it seemed to work OK for a bit. With some use and settling though, it will still sometimes weakly push up on the slide lock lever. I think they should make a revision on the follower design. The HK P30/VP9 magazine got redesigned this year, and it engages the slide lock lever much more forcefully now. Maybe Smith could do something similar, but I'm guessing tweaking the SD9 isn't a high priority for them.

Mine had some initial problems cycling with weak 115 gr range ammo. I wonder if it is a bit oversprung? Otherwise has been fine, especially with 124 gr stuff.
    Last edited by FreedomFries; 05-26-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    After cleaning and stretching the magazine spring, it seemed to work OK for a bit. With some use and settling though, it will still sometimes weakly push up on the slide lock lever. I think they should make a revision on the follower design. The HK P30/VP9 magazine got redesigned this year, and it engages the slide lock lever much more forcefully now. Maybe Smith could do something similar, but I'm guessing tweaking the SD9 isn't a high priority for them.

Mine had some initial problems cycling with weak 115 gr range ammo. I wonder if it is a bit oversprung? Otherwise has been fine, especially with 124 gr stuff.
    Thanks for the update about the mags.

I also think the recoil spring is on the heavy side for 9mm. Although, I certainly can't fault my gun's ability to cycle reliably with it. It seems they use the same part# for the 9 and the .40 guns. Midwest Gunworks has it listed as the same part for both guns. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...prod/251350000

I often leave a new gun at slidelock in the case for a while, and then I usually start out with a few boxes of medium power ammo. My theory is that this allows the recoil spring to take it's "initial set" and gives the gun a chance to wear down some micro-abrasive friction points from the machining processes. I don't know if any of this is actually true, but it's my voodoo superstition anyway.

Perhaps this is why I never experienced any malfunctions with weak ammo?

After several hundred rounds through a new gun, I will usually try my best to induce limp-wrist malfunctions with weak ammo in order to determine the guns threshold for reliability with relation to a compromised grip. My copy seems to cycle no matter how i hold it. It has also cycled 100% for smaller kids and adults without anything like a true 'shooters grip'. The ejection pattern is also quite forceful and perhaps more consistent than any other pistol I've used.

All that said, I do wonder how it would handle and cycle with a recoil spring specifically optimized/designed for 9mm and without regard for use in .40 guns. I think it could be even more well suited to people with low hand strength or poor technique for cycling the slide and administratively locking the slide to the rear.

If S&W would update the mag spring/follower, re-spring the 9mm and beef up the guide rods, increase and extend upward the texture on the side panels of the grip, and perhaps use other spring components somewhat closer to an Apex trigger kit from the factory, I think it would make this pistol really, really hard to pass up once a SCD is available. I know it will never happen, but I think this design could be a truly worthy competitor to the Glock 19 with pretty minimal revision. And in more ways than just budget considerations. They have proven they can build a top-tier quality level pistol for less than $300 retail in the M&P Shield 9mm. I suspect they could easily get the SD9 up to this level of quality/durability/reliability with very minimal effort. It's mostly the magazine and recoil spring assembly that need a slight tweak for optimization in my opinion.

Site Supporter

I also think the recoil spring is on the heavy side for 9mm. Although, I certainly can't fault my gun's ability to cycle reliably with it. It seems they use the same part# for the 9 and the .40 guns. Midwest Gunworks has it listed as the same part for both guns. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...prod/251350000

I often leave a new gun at slidelock in the case for a while, and then I usually start out with a few boxes of medium power ammo. My theory is that this allows the recoil spring to take it's "initial set" and gives the gun a chance to wear down some micro-abrasive friction points from the machining processes. I don't know if any of this is actually true, but it's my voodoo superstition anyway.

After several hundred rounds through a new gun, I will usually try my best to induce limp-wrist malfunctions with weak ammo in order to determine the guns threshold for reliability with relation to a compromised grip. My copy seems to cycle no matter how i hold it. It has also cycled 100% for smaller kids and adults without anything like a true 'shooters grip'. The ejection pattern is also quite forceful and perhaps more consistent than any other pistol I've used.

All that said, I do wonder how it would handle and cycle with a recoil spring specifically optimized/designed for 9mm and without regard for use in .40 guns. I think it could be even more well suited to people with low hand strength or poor technique for cycling the slide and administratively locking the slide to the rear.

If S&W would update the mag spring/follower, re-spring the 9mm and beef up the guide rods, increase and extend upward the texture on the side panels of the grip, and perhaps use other spring components somewhat closer to an Apex trigger kit from the factory, I think it would make this pistol really, really hard to pass up once a SCD is available. I know it will never happen, but I think this design could be a truly worthy competitor to the Glock 19 with pretty minimal revision. And in more ways than just budget considerations. They have proven they can build a top-tier quality level pistol for less than $300 retail in the M&P Shield 9mm. I suspect they could easily get the SD9 up to this level of quality/durability/reliability with very minimal effort. It's mostly the magazine and recoil spring assembly that need a slight tweak for optimization in my opinion.
    I’ve had two SD40s. Both have fallen into my lap, and I’d rather that they had been 9mm. The one I have now has the smoothest trigger, at an acceptable weight, with no wall/break when it lets off, that I’ve ever seen in an SD. No grit, hits where I point it.

I hate shooting them in .40, though, and thus I’d rather this was a 9mm. I have a lot of friends who are BP, and get occasional gifts of .40 ammunition from them, so I won’t throw it away.

My issues were a lot of short stroking related problems. Sometimes it would fail to eject completely, but more often, it would eject but then wouldn't strip the next round off the magazine correctly and fail to feed. Weak 115 grain range ammo was a real problem. Until it was broken in, I could get it to fail consistently by limp wristing, or even creating a bit of extra drag on the slide with the high thumbs grip. Had to grip it very firmly with the thumbs down and away from the slide. Now it works fine except slide lock is not guaranteed.

I think if they had used this basic design but made it more high end like the M&P, they'd have a real winner. When the SCD comes out, I'd probably get one or two of those and then waste a ton of money upgrading some SD9VEs with NP3 coated magazines/internals, Apex springs, stippling, and nitride the barrel/slide just to do it.

User Tag List