Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W SD9VE 2,000 round test thread

Site Supporter
    I was one of the people who suggested the SD9. I bought one for $275 new at my favorite LGS a while back. I am very interested in watching this study. I have not shot mine because of too many weekend drills and I am shooting my M&P 9 with the limited range time I have. I think (hope!) the SD9 surprises us all!

9/11/2014

Another hour of practice, another 265 rounds through the pistol.

There was a light primer strike on round 483. I had 30 rounds left and the gun was pretty warm already, so I decide to do a couple mag dumps to heat the gun up and see what kind of split times I could achieve at 3 yards. First mag went fine, I reloaded and 8 rounds later this happened:

The round was put back into the gun after examinination and it did fire, so one stoppage goes toward the gun.

Summary:

Total range time: 2 hours
    Total round count: 490
    Stoppages: 1
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

The gun is proving to be a little too slick for my liking. The texturing looks nice but does not provide much grip. They do make decal grips for this if someone was so inclined, and to be honest I am tempted. The other problem I'm having with the grip is the short rounded trigger guard. I find I need to tuck my left hand in more than I am used to doing with my Glock, which is kind of annoying.

Tomorrow I am getting outdoors with another well known forum member and getting some real practice in. With luck, there will be a fun announcement to follow.

I have been curious how SD9's group at 25 yards, since so many M&P 9's have had issues.

Excellent thread, thank you for contributing this.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I have been curious how SD9's group at 25 yards, since so many M&P 9's have had issues.
    I will most likely do this at some point, probably with the Remington Golden Saber 124 gr just because I have 50 rounds of that left. Honestly that is a huge hole in my game (I'm working on it) so consider that when viewing the results. The best score I scored during the Pannone class was an 89, that was offhand with what turns out to be crap ammo though.

Interesting test. I'm especially curious to hear how the Apex part work.

Okie John

Another 206 rounds through the gun without any problems this afternoon. I also received the holster and mag carrier today so I was able to get a much better practice session in.

Total range time: 4 hours
    Total round count: 696

Total round count planned for the gun has gone to 2,500. After the 2,000 round mark I will clean the gun and install the Apex spring kit for the last 500 rounds. That way I will be able to give it a more thorough review.

As for the announcement:

I owe a lot to this forum and its members. I owe even more to TLG. Knowing that, you probably guessed that the holster and mag carrier being orange is not a coincidence. Assuming this gun turns out okay and doesn't crap the bed, once I am done testing it I plan to put it up for auction. That's the SD9 with four mags, JM Custom Kydex AIWB clip on holster and mag carrier. Whatever the package sells for will go to Todd's charity.

I still have a polymer APEX replacement trigger (Glock non hinged style) that I would be happy to donate for the cause and charity sale off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Great! PM inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Another 206 rounds through the gun without any problems this afternoon. I also received the holster and mag carrier today so I was able to get a much better practice session in.

Total range time: 4 hours
    Total round count: 696

Total round count planned for the gun has gone to 2,500. After the 2,000 round mark I will clean the gun and install the Apex spring kit for the last 500 rounds. That way I will be able to give it a more thorough review.

As for the announcement:

I owe a lot to this forum and its members. I owe even more to TLG. Knowing that, you probably guessed that the holster and mag carrier being orange is not a coincidence. Assuming this gun turns out okay and doesn't crap the bed, once I am done testing it I plan to put it up for auction. That's the SD9 with four mags, JM Custom Kydex AIWB clip on holster and mag carrier. Whatever the package sells for will go to Todd's charity.
    I can't say enough good things about this.
    #RESIST

User Tag List