Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W SD9VE 2,000 round test thread

S&W SD9VE 2,000 round test thread

Received the test SD9 today and had a chance to look it over and fire the first few rounds of the planned 2,000. For those who don't want the long story, in the short 225 rounds I have through it: the trigger is manageable, sights are useable, and so far it has worked fine. Now onto the details-

How it comes:

Here are some comparison pics with a Sigma,G19 and P-07

Weight:

More comparison pics of the size difference between the G19 and SD9:

Lets get into the guts. Top to bottom: G19,SD9,Sigma:

Notice while the G19 slide is a tad shorter, the barrels are about flush.

One glaring difference I noticed between the Sigma slide and the SD9 slide is the extractor:

SD9

Sigma

Frame and trigger. Left to right: Sigma, SD9, G19

Notice the difference between the Sigma (L) and SD9 (C)

The SD9 rails are not molded into the frame. Potential problem if the round count was high? (I do not mean just 2,000 rounds) The Sigma rails are part of the frame.

SD9

Sigma

The only problem I noticed out of the box was a little splinter on the slide. Thankfully it broke off easily with a knife. Sorry for the picture, it is all I was able to do with the best camera ever: iPhone.

The magazines are interesting. The Sigma magazines do indeed work and function flawlessly, and the magazine body and follower appear identical. The base plate of the SD9 is more akin to the M&P, which is a HUGE improvement on how it feels in the hand. I have not bothered to take the springs out yet and compare them. SD9 magazine has the round base plate.

Time to go test!

Having seen that some real changes have been done, my curiosity has peaked. Looking forward to more.

OP if you plan on keeping that pistol and find the trigger sub par shoot me a PM. I have a APEX polymer trigger for it, purchased by mistake and has no home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

9/10/14

After the pictures I did a quick wipe down of the gun and lubed it with some slip 2000. Once at the range I loaded up 25 rounds Remington Golden Saber 124 that was given to me. I started with with this ammo for a few reasons:

1- It was free.
    2- I can see someone who buys a budget pistol like this just loading up some hollow points without shooting first.
    3- The 124gr Golden Saber is not dentist approved for carry, so I do not plan to use it for anything but target practice anyway.

The very first thing I did was a dot torture at 3 yards. My score was 48/50. I threw the very first shot low as I tried to slam my way through the new longer and heavier trigger. Oops. I settled down and was running the drill clean until I got to the WHO dot, which I pulled one shot left. The trigger does require me to concentrate more than the Glock I am used to, but is very workable. Later in the session I was having no problems keeping 10 rounds into a 2" circle at 7 yards.

I also performed a couple Mozambique drills from the high compressed ready. All runs were at 7 yards, clean and broke down as follows:

2.41: 1.21/.28/.92 (Trigger freeze when transitioned to the 3x5 card)
    1.90: .99/.28/.63
    1.74: .86/.24/.64

Overall it was a good 1 hour session, with the 225 round count breaking down like this:

Rem Golden Saber 124 gr: 25rd
    Federal Value pack 115 gr: 100rd
    Rem UMC 115 gr: 50rd
    Freedom Munitions 115 gr reman: 50 rounds

The Freedom Munitions will be the majority of the test ammo, but I plan on buying at least 100 rd of WWB for the same reasons I used the UMC and Federal Value pack. I want to see how the gun handles the WalMart special-of-the-day ammo.

I will keep more detail like this in my journal from now on, and give more general updates in this page. If there is anything someone wants to see or is curious about please feel free to ask.

A quick note on the trigger- I ran some Bill drills at 7 yards and was able to get splits as low as .17. Most splits were between .21-.23 seconds, so I am thinking that with a little break in the trigger will be pretty usable. I have to say if the gun stays reliable, I will be genuinely excited to see what this $310 pistol will do when the $20 apex kit is added.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I would bet that this pistol has now busted more caps than an actual statistical majority of SD9s ever will.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List