Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two specific questions

Quote Originally Posted by sjcollins View Post
    1. At 5 yards, MAX time should be .75, no reason it can't be faster.

2. My basic measurement at this distance is a palm-sized group, and absolutely no bigger. Group can be strung a little vertically or horizontally, but palm-sized stands. I think this precludes people from getting to preoccupied with "measurements." Just my opinion, though...

1, I'd love to see that done at a MAX time of .75!!!

2, Palm size groups are not "Fast as you can".....IMHO. I think defining Measurements is what everyone is after...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Site Supporter
    I finally got a chance to go out and put a timer on this today, cold. Bear in mind that I'm old, fat, blind and arthritic, so YMMV.

Glock 35, 180 ball.

3X5 card at 5 yards, from Ready, all hits:

Average = .78

5 rounds from Ready at full speed, keeping them all inside the 8" circle of an IDPA target:

Average = 1.37 seconds.
    Last edited by Tom Givens; 07-19-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo

We are diminished
    Uh... if those are Tom's numbers I think they clearly represent the upper level of likely performance.

I read the "5 from ready" but in my mind was thinking from the draw and was just staring at my computer trying to figure out what magical secret Tom has been keeping that allowed him to get five 8" hits at 7yd in 1.3-something.

Site Supporter

Wink

Todd-

I actually could do that from the holster 35 years ago. No more. I used to have fast twitch and slow twitch muscles. Now I just have slow twitch and really slow twitch.

Inspired by Tom's thought to actually go out and shoot, I just ran 5 rounds onto a horizontal card and 5 onto a vertical card. I can't claim the same excuses as Tom;-) but I will say that I have been a non shooting Muldoon lately. My first 5 shots were on the horizontal, and started with a .74. My last shot was a .59, and everything in between was more like a .70. On the vertical card, the numbers were pretty similar, but I was consistently .05 faster than on the horizontal.

So, I guess i would stick with my original numbers and say that 1 second would be the minimum I would tolerate as a standard. Slower than that, and I guess I'd say that you're not ready to worry about standards yet.

If I remember correctly, I want to say that in a past life, the school house standard for high level combat shooters was a .85 on a 6" circle. No one I know ever failed to meet that standard, but a 3X5 is obviously a bit more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Todd-

I actually could do that from the holster 35 years ago. No more. I used to have fast twitch and slow twitch muscles. Now I just have slow twitch and really slow twitch.
    Dude when Im your age I just hope I can make a gun go off let alone shoot it the way you can!!!!!

Tom I know your big on the low ready, did you use it or the high ready ( like TLG does) on the 3x5?
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Dude when Im your age I just hope I can make a gun go off let alone shoot it the way you can!!!!!
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Ouch.
    ????? Ouch? I see no harm there.. I just hope I can shoot when I'm his age.... Trust me dude after 40 it starts going FAST... ( at lest for me)

Site Supporter
    Prdator- Craig's original question specified "an unholstered compressed ready". The compressed ready I use looks a lot like what everyone here is accustomed to for a press out, with gun pretty close to my upper chest until the timer sounds.

We are diminished
    Just gave this a try at the range. I did 30 iterations at a speed I was certain would result in 100% hits. My average was 0.76 with a high of 0.89 (missed the beginning of the buzzer at the indoor range) and a low of 0.70 seconds.

User Tag List