Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two specific questions

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Like any skill measurement, you need to define the goal and/or performers. Just a SWAG without actually testing at the range, I'd say somewhere in the 0.75 zone for myself.

"Acceptable accuracy" and "shooting as fast as you can" are competing goals. I consider 8" acceptable (6" better) and try to regulate my speed to achieve that accept when I'm specifically drilling speed (in which case my goal is 90% hits inside the same target zone).

For the second question, it would probably work to specify a certain split time. Say, 5 yards, at a splits of less than or equal to .22 seconds, what is acceptable accuracy?

If that's the question, then I think 6" would be an acceptable standard.

S'narc,

1. For a vertically oriented card, under 1 sec., for a horizontally oriented card, under 1.10, though since this is a drill, that will depend on the shooters more than anything else. I try to keep it under .65 for a vertical card, and for a horizontal, .75.

2. As Todd said, you have two competing goals there. For "as fast as I can", I would use a vertically oriented 8.5"X11" piece of paper, or maybe a paper plate. For acceptable accuracy at very fast levels of speed, I would use a vertically oriented 4.5"X 6".

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    S'narc,

1. For a vertically oriented card, under 1 sec., for a horizontally oriented card, under 1.10, though since this is a drill, that will depend on the shooters more than anything else. I try to keep it under .65 for a vertical card, and for a horizontal, .75.

2. As Todd said, you have two competing goals there. For "as fast as I can", I would use a vertically oriented 8.5"X11" piece of paper, or maybe a paper plate. For acceptable accuracy at very fast levels of speed, I would use a vertically oriented 4.5"X 6".
    I've got to ask: why faster on vertically oriented card than horizontal one?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've got to ask: why faster on vertically oriented card than horizontal one?
    The muzzle moves up and down in recoil, so the muzzle is on paper longer when the target is tall instead of wide.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Guys I'd like to get some answers to two very specific questions, understanding of course that the answers are subjective.

#1. At 5 yards what do you consider the maximum amount of time required to hit a 3x5 card from an unholstered compressed position with a press-out? Answers should be termed in time. .75......85....25...,.so on and so forth.

#2. At 5 yards what size target zone do you consider to be acceptable accuracy when shooting as fast as you can at the torso? In other words a six inch circle, a standard "A" zone, a 3 inch inverted triangle? When you look at a torso target after a string of extremely rapid fire what makes you say to yourself "Yeah...I started losing it with this shot and this one down here".

I'm asking these questions as part of constructing some standards. I'm talking about drills, not tactics or the chaos of a real fight.

Thanks!
    1. 1 second or better .
    2. Standard A zone width I could consider reasonable. FWIW, Viking Tactics runs multi round drills on a (upper) half sized a zone.

The muzzle moves up and down in recoil, so the muzzle is on paper longer when the target is tall instead of wide.
    That would make sense for follow-up shots, but for the first one, which I assume S.N. asked about...?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That would make sense for follow-up shots, but for the first one, which I assume S.N. asked about...?

When doing a press out, the muzzle is pretty locked on for deflection, but is a little less so for elevation. Also, if you're like me, messing up your shot will usually send it low, not wide. The second aspect is the bigger one, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    When doing a press out, the muzzle is pretty locked on for deflection, but is a little less so for elevation. Also, if you're like me, messing up your shot will usually send it low, not wide. The second aspect is the bigger one, IMO.
    Got it.

My usual mistake on horizontal card is going left - oftentimes still on the card, but left of center. Most of my rounds impact left of center. Speculative thought is vertical would be harder for me, but I've not shot it much that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Guys I'd like to get some answers to two very specific questions, understanding of course that the answers are subjective.

#1. At 5 yards what do you consider the maximum amount of time required to hit a 3x5 card from an unholstered compressed position with a press-out? Answers should be termed in time. .75......85....25...,.so on and so forth.

#2. At 5 yards what size target zone do you consider to be acceptable accuracy when shooting as fast as you can at the torso? In other words a six inch circle, a standard "A" zone, a 3 inch inverted triangle? When you look at a torso target after a string of extremely rapid fire what makes you say to yourself "Yeah...I started losing it with this shot and this one down here".

I'm asking these questions as part of constructing some standards. I'm talking about drills, not tactics or the chaos of a real fight.

Thanks!
    1. At 5 yards, MAX time should be .75, no reason it can't be faster.

2. My basic measurement at this distance is a palm-sized group, and absolutely no bigger. Group can be strung a little vertically or horizontally, but palm-sized stands. I think this precludes people from getting to preoccupied with "measurements." Just my opinion, though...

Site Supporter
    Like any skill measurement, you need to define the goal and/or performers. Just a SWAG without actually testing at the range, I'd say somewhere in the 0.75 zone for myself.

"Acceptable accuracy" and "shooting as fast as you can" are competing goals. I consider 8" acceptable (6" better) and try to regulate my speed to achieve that except when I'm specifically drilling speed (in which case my goal is 90% hits inside the same target zone).
    If Todd said .75 for himself, advocating .75 for the average shooter seems ... optimistic.

User Tag List