Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: flashlights????

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    So, the Estrella Night Reaper is still out of stock. Looking at the Surefire Backup. Anybody have any experience with this light?
    love my back up. I have bent my pocket clip a few times but I just use pliers and re "tighten" it up.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjgood View Post

NiteCore Note: Rotary Dial Concept. Taken from the original design of the Gladius. Getting to "modes" is not something you have to much time to think about....like none.
    I carry 2 lights.
    Main light is a Surefire P2X Defender single stage 500 lumen light

Back up is a Nitecore SRT 5 smart ring 750lumen. I leave it set on strobe. In case I need a strobe, which I highly doubt as a non leo .

I really don't see a problem with the SRT. I just leave it in the mode . there's nothing to think about!

BTW if I carried the SRT alone I would leave it on high.

So, the Estrella Night Reaper is still out of stock. Looking at the Surefire Backup. Anybody have any experience with this light?
    I've been EDC'ing an E1B for several years now. I had a trim kydex "holster" made for it, and it rides nicely just behind my spare magazine; but does well in a pocket too. Typical SureFire excellence; and price. But I like it enough that I went to the trouble of hunting down another NIB example, as a spare. The EB-1 that replaced it just doesn't, for reasons I cannot articulate, trip my trigger.

Anyway... I still firmly believe that one's primary EDC light should be 123A-powered if one intends to use it in conjunction with a defensive handgun (should the need for that arise). Yes, the run time is relatively short on "high beam"... so tote a long run time AAA mini-light too. My ARC AAA looks rather pathetic these days; but makes a great "navigation light".

Thanks for all the input.

Ive been carrying a Streamlight ProTac 2L for awhile now off-duty. The only thing I dislike is the clip, which comes off too easy for me to wear at work. It would be a perfect fit if the clip was permanently affixed so that it wouldn't come off. Im interested in a light that I can carry on-duty that will fit in my weak hand pocket and the surefire backup, either the 1 or 2, looks like it will fit the bill. Ive got an unlimited supply of 123 batteries so something that uses that is what I will buy. This light will serve as a backup to my Streamlight SL20 which gets out of the car with me on every call, day or night.

Ive been carrying a Streamlight ProTac 2L for awhile now off-duty. The only thing I dislike is the clip, which comes off too easy for me to wear at work. It would be a perfect fit if the clip was permanently affixed so that it wouldn't come off.
    I've never used the ProTac myself but your comment jogged my memory and I recall Kyle Defoor mentioning that he uses a mini zip tie to keep the clip on, can be seen in this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    I've never used the ProTac myself but your comment jogged my memory and I recall Kyle Defoor mentioning that he uses a mini zip tie to keep the clip on, can be seen in this pic.
    I think you just saved me $160!

Ref clips; it ain't elegant, but the DeFoor zip tie mod is way more gooder, IMHO, than a permanent mount for a clip. I've broken too many clips off of knives and lights over the years to not want something I can easily replace.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    FWIW, I won't buy another 123A powered light. I have several, and still carry an E1B when working or headed toward a possible threat area (i.e, the bad side of town here, or New Orleans). But I have gone to AA powered stuff for everything else.

AA powered small lights have come a long way, and are what I use exclusively around the house and when out putzing around "off duty". The Fenix LD15 is a great pocket light for general purpose use. But either way, I still have my old ARC AAA tucked in next to the BUG.

I'm headed a similar direction. My house has a Streamlight Polytac in every room and at every exterior door, but when I set out to outfit my girlfriend's house the same way I chose the AA powered, but otherwise similar, Streamlights. A big box of Eneloops is next and I'll hopefully be all set there. FWIW, I'm also looking to buy some of those plug-in night lights that turn on when the power goes out and turn into flashlights when you unplug them. Not sure on what the best make/model is just yet. Leaning towards this
    http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Lite-Funct...o-i-lite+5+led

Interesting that AA and even AAA lights today are capable of more than the Surefire 6P (and Maglites before them) in terms of output and runtime, but the lumen wars seem to have convinced everyone that the correct answer is always MOAR. I have a Chinese light that I bought on a whim that is simply too damn bright inside my house.
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-26-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    My EDC flashlight is a Streamlight Microstream. I clip it to the outside corner of my left front pants pocket and I don't know it's there until I need it. It runs on a single AAA battery and is slightly larger than a tube of Chapstick. I've carried it everyday for the last four years and it has served me well. It's plenty bright for everything I do. It costs about $15. Prior to this I carried Surefire flashlights but the Microstream has completely replaced them. The only downside to my experience is I lose it about once per year necessitating me to buy a replacement.
    +1 on this.

I have had mine for several years as a FF/EMTP and it has served me well. Easily source batteries and durable enough to be dropped from 3-4ft multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    +1 on this.

I have had mine for several years as a FF/EMTP and it has served me well. Easily source batteries and durable enough to be dropped from 3-4ft multiple times.
    I have one too. use it on the jobsites.

I thought Surefire was starting to get the memo
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-loo...an-flashlight/

But then I saw you have to turn the head to turn it on. no-go for me.

User Tag List